1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher's Pet and Li'l Abner

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ArthurMy, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I managed to score an early copy of Teacher's Pet and Li'l Abner yesterday. So happy Li'l Abner has finally made its way to DVD. I've only seen a bit of it, but what I've seen looks great, with really eye-popping color and detail. This is especially evident in the costumes - you can actually see the fabrics now and the real colors. I'm so happy I can toss that hideous VHS away now. Sound is mono, as it always was. No extras, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Teacher's Pet looks incredible. Rich black-and-white, sharp as a tack. Not a great movie, but it has fun moments and Doris and Clark are really good together.

Both transfers are, of course, anamorphically enhanced. I'll watch Li'l Abner tonight and report back.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

"Teacher's Pet" is one of my favorite "light" comedies. Mine is on order.

3. RyanZ

RyanZ Stunt Coordinator

At least the transfers are good. Paramount just hasn't caught on the the idea of extras yet. Oh wait - up until two years ago, they did. Why the change of heart? Oh well, I'm still buying Teacher's Pet anyways.

4. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Arthur, what is the aspect ratio for "Li'l Abner" ? When the film was first released it could be shown anywhere between 1:66 or 2:1 (It was in the VistaVision format)

5. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Vistavision's recommended projection AR was 1.85:1. It was protected up to 2:1 and hard matted on the release prints at 1.66:1. So either 1.77 or 1.85 would be fine.

Ted

6. ArthurMy

Li'l Abner is framed beautifully at 1:85 - just perfect. Am in the midst of watching it. One forgets how truly funny this film is. More in a bit.

7. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Arrrghhh!Lucky you!I can't wait!

Didn't realize it was in mono, though. Still, I'm so glad it's on DVD.

8. ArthurMy

Li'l Abner has always been in mono, so the presentation is correct.

The transfer is mostly excellent, but does have a few shots that seem soft (and not because of filters - more like they're out of registration or something). But that's quibbling - it's so great to see it in its proper ratio looking radiant and so colorful. It hasn't looked this good since the day it opened, especially if you've ever seen the old videotape. If that's been your only experience with Li'l Abner, boy are people in for a treat.

9. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Lil Abner has a very strange soundtrack album in that at least half of the tracks don't match whats in the film - either in orchestration or tempo.