TEAC Reference 100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Sharpe, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Richard Sharpe

I'm looking for a small second system for my tiny bedroom. The main requirements are:
    - CD/AM/FM functionality
    - Timer function to replace my alarm clock
    - Aux input (for internet radio off my laptop)
    - Gotta be SMALL
    - I don't want to drop $400 on a Bose WaveRadio/CD
    I've seen the TEAC Reference 100 system for $250...
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...992&showcase=t
    I know this isn't "Hi-Fi". But I value HTF opinions. Any thoughts?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I picked up a similar Yamaha sys from BB, $400 and love it. Great speakers, sub out, lotsa ins, etc.
    MCR150 in gold
    The Yammy's a bit spendy...The Teac looks to be a good one, but I've heard the speakers are weak. But then again, it's not for blasting anyway.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Actually the speakers are not too bad at all - the fidelity is surprising as is the level of bass.
    That's an awesome price on it too.

4. Richard Sharpe

Well - I took the plunge. When I got to the dealer, the Ref 100 was out of stock. Was very tempted by the Yamaha MCR-150 that Colin mentioned - until the guy in the store offered me the TEAC Ref 130 display model (same as ref 100 but with 3 disc changer) for the same price as the Ref 100. Result!

I'm very happy with the sound for a bedroom system - speakers seem fine - and bass is more than adequate at the low volumes that I use (this is from someone who had to go with the Energy Take 5 system for the main room. Manhattan apartments are not big!)

I love the timer functionality - I can go to bed listening to the baseball and be woken in the morning to the CD. Great stuff!

Thanks for the comments and advice!

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Richard,

How's the workmanship on the TEAC? I am considering their 300 series components due to space restrictions as well. I know TEAC is known for their tape decks, disc drives, and their TASCAM professional equipment, but I have barely any ideas about their consumer stuff....