What's new

Teac Phono to CD Recorder need some input. (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
A friend showed me this, and it looks like something I would get since I have over 1,000 albums. Anyway if anyone have any personal or other input would be helpful. Teac

John S

Senior HTF Member
Price seem reasonable enough, convienience seems great.

I don't think you can afford to wait much longer. Get those on Optical Media as soon as possible.

jacob_A

Auditioning
Sounds good on a convenience level.
It would also depend on the condition of your collection.
Straight to CD may inhibit any kind of clean-up or restoration you would want to perform on the audio tracks.
Even a fresh brand new record will need to be re-equalized when transfered to CD (or any digital format).
I use my Pioneer DV-220 recorder to record my vinyl. Then I extract the audio from the DVD files then import them to Nero's wave editor for any clean-up, then the finished files can then be put on CD or kept as mp-3's

John S

Senior HTF Member
I used to do collections for people when I operated my recording studio.

More people than not, wanted exact duplication with all flaws duplicated as well interesting enough.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you have a turntable you can get a good Pioneer CD recorder off eBay for $150 or less. If I recall from my research a couple of years ago when I was shopping for one, the PDR-509 and 555 were considered the best of they made.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately the turntables I had(2) I lend them to my nephew and one is broken and the other.., well.., don't know where he sent it. Anyway, I do have a pretty good cd recorder for digital audio and if I got one of the turntables back, I would need some type of pre-amp or transport for it to play through the cd recorder. I think I better contact my nephew to see what condition it's in. Any idea on what I should get in reference to having the turntable play through the cd recorder?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I take it your receiver doesn't have a phono pre-amp. If so, there are some turntables with a built-in pre-amp e.g. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X7dW9rb...arch=turntable

and others. I don't much about this turntable but I'd bet it's better than the one in that TEAC unit.

Another alternative would be to get a turntable without a built-in pre-amp (Technics models seem popular around here)and buy a separate phono pre-amp. Radio Shack sells an inexpensive one, I believe.

It seems to me that as long as you have a CD recorder already, buying a new turntable and a pre-amp (if it's not built in to the turntable) would make more sense and be cheaper than spending 399 for the TEAC unit.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

If you're thinking about the RIAA equalization curve, that is automatically accomplished in the phono preamp section.

Jerome: Compared to digital, analog music formats are much more dependent on the "you get what you pay for" concept. A $100 turntable with a cartridge & built-in preamp won't sound nearly as good as a basic entry-level turntable (like mine :), a Technics SL-BD22) with a decent cartridge in the $60 range (for example Shure, Audio-Technica, or Ortofon) matched up with a decent phono preamp. The preamp could be in a receiver, or a separate one but I don't have any personal experience with those (a couple years ago a lot of audiophiles were raving over a $25 battery powered model from Radio Shack).

The reason I mention all this is because if you want to spend all that time archiving a thousand LPs to the CD-R format, I personally would want to use some decent playback equipment to do so.

BTW: I have noticed WAY more complaints about PC-based burners making "coasters" and having other problems than standalone burners--in fact, I honestly can't remember the last time I read where anyone said their standalone made a bad copy.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go with a stand alone burner and a decent turntable as suggested above. It still leaves the option of washing it in some kind of clean up software and reburning if you want.
Check out the Lite-on DVD recorders they also burn CD's. I know they are reasonably priced and a lot lot of people here have had some good things to say about them and one can be had for less than $200.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks