TDK Noise Filters

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ray tubach, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know anything about the TDK Home Theater Cable Kit available at Costco? It consists of 14 "premium" cables with the "Superior Technology TDK Noise Filters with patented technnology to absorb EMI and RF interference. All connectors use 24k gold-plated connectors and they claim 99.997% pure oxygen-free copper center conductors, with dual-shielded oxygen-free braided copper shielding and 100% mylar foil shielding.

For $100 you get 1x6' and 1x12' component video cable, 1x6'digital optical cable, 1x15' S-video cable, 2x6' component video cables, 2x6' analog audio cables, 1x6'subwoofer cable, and 1x10', 2x20', and 2x35' 16ga. speaker cables with pin-type connectors.

LOOKS impressive... any ideas?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ray, any shielded cable (which probably 99% of all cables are) will eliminate EMI and RFI. That’s the reason cables are shielded to begin with. Personally I don’t care for cables with built-in filters and stuff (as would be the case if there is a bulge somewhere in the line). I prefer to have my signal straight through without the added “baggage” in the circuit.

That said, assuming the cables are decent quality, $100 for the set seems like a pretty good deal.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. ray tubach

thanks Wayne, that's kinda what I thought - for a hundred bucks it don't seem too bad of a deal but I thought I'd check. I'm not sure about the pin-type connectors on the 16ga. speaker cable but I quess I can replace those.

I just wondered, mostly, about the other cables and the "Superior Technology TDK Noise Filters with patented technnology to absorb EMI and RF interference".

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

TDK says very little about that kit and I don't have any pics. What they do say can be found here. Not a lot to go on.

Again, that may mean nothing more than what Wayne stated - the cables are shielded (foil over braid). As far as it being patented, that really doesn't mean anything as it's creative ad copy. My take is that they've got a patent on the manufacturing process but then so does virtually all the manufacturers. It may be something as simple as the method the foil is laid on and bonded. Really, you're reading too much into this. If the kit has the cables you need in the lengths you desire, give them a shot and return them if you don't like them. Make sense?

5. ray tubach

Chu, thanks for the reply. Yeah, it makes sense. I pretty much had it made out that way but I figured I'd give it a run by everyone here. I mean, someone could have said, "wow, those are great!", or possibly, "wow, those suck!" either way it would be nice to know.

I figure for $100, I got some cable - nothing great or awful, but they work and they didn't cost an arm and a leg. that's good.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yeah, you've got to be careful reading too much into all this marketing drivel. For example, a manufacturer could in all honesty say something like, "We take great pride in the sound of our Vacuum Tube Amplifiers, so we make sure that each tube is hand selected for optimum performance and the lushest sound." Most people read that as there being something special like that each amp is literally a custom job. Me, I read it as there's a guy who reaches over into this big-ass box full of vacuum tubes and picks them as he needs them. The first way sounds better and makes you think you got something special. The second way is what really happens. Go figure.

7. ray tubach

Chu, that's my point - I wasn't reading anything into it. If anything, I was being skeptical and sarcastic by quoting their hyperbole. i just wanted to know if anyone had ever seen this package and what they thought of it.

thanks for the reply.