What's new

TDB: Fox/MGM prepping several catalog titles (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Sure, I agree.

I have almost all Fox/MGM-titles that have interest me (many), but I´ll admit that most of them were bought from these Bogo-sales from the last Xmas-time (cheap as hell! ;) ). But I´ve bought some titles in full price also.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Its a real shame that jerks are running FOx/MGM when fox started they
charged a lot for stardard dvd (not to mention their insane Laser prices)
This is a Kick in the Teeth when two years latter the same dvd is out
this time with special features at half the cost !!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'll believe the good news when these titles are actually on the store shelves. Fox's track record of canceling announced titles doesn't instill confidence.

Doug

Real Name
Donovan

While I agree with your feelings wrt Fox pricing, I have to admit it's a tad disingenuous to continually post, in multiple threads, about your personal pet peeve, then tell fellow posters that you're going to continue this practice; while, as moderator, you publicly admonish other posters for doing the same thing.

Perhaps a specific sticky thread to discuss Fox (and other's) BD pricing would be a better way to make your points, and would also provide a convenient place for any studio representatives (especially Fox) that the HTF leadership could convince to come by for a quick reality check of HT enthusiast issues.

It's taken me 3 hours to word this post, as I want to remain positive about things, but I am concerned about the attitude, and wanted to make a public statement.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Good idea. I mean this "Fox price"-issue will eventually kill all the Fox related-threads. E.g. with this topic, it was the 2nd post where the "price"-argument was raised (still not the record). After that, the thread will take the usual route (price-debate, Fox anger - even "Blu-ray is greedy and it sucks") and the people wanting to talk about those actual releases are long gone.

So perhaps we need that "BD pricing" thread?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your comments, though, I disagree with your use of "disingenuous" in regard to my so-called pet peeve about Fox/MGM BR pricing. Unlike, cover artwork for example, this is an issue that affects us all to some degree not just Robert Crawford because the more you pay for Fox/MGM releases the less money you have to buy other releases. Fox already knows we have issues with their BR pricing. I personally asked Steve Feldstein about this issue and he basically refused to answer that question. Furthermore, this wasn't the first time Fox was asked about their pricing and their reply was that the "early adoptor will pay more for software". In a few months, it will be two full years into this format, when does it stop being early adoptors paying more for software with their catalog software becoming available at a price point that the mass market can find reasonable?

Perhaps, I am being overbearing with this issue, but I find it disconcerting that though people are concerned about Fox/MGM pricing, they rather not talk about it and instead just keep buying Fox/MGM software which does nothing, but encourages them to continue their pricing structure in regard to catalog releases. I will grant you that I have made my point in this thread so I will not broach this subject matter again here except in response to posts such as yours.

In closing, I've always tried to remain positive in regard to the studios and have defended them for years against attacks by others on various issues. Being negative is not usually part of my makeup as I always try to look for the positives in everything. I've supported this new format by having 3 Blu-ray players in my household with hopefully a 4th one in the next several months that will play all of the options offered with this video format. My BR collection is about to cross the 200 disc mark with the hope that Fox/MGM titles segment of my collection keeps growing too.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You keep saying you want to talk about these new releases. Why don't you practice what you preach?

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Ah, it´s "me" again. Perhaps it´s "you" every once in a while..

Films? Let´s put it in this way. If Fox keeps releasing great titles and is keeping the extras, I´ll keep buying them. Some in full price, and some from the next bogo-sales (or similar). From the sales I´ll also get those "bare bones"-titles (and keep the SD DVD) eventually.

There are some titles (e.g. original PotA, "Longest Day") that I´ll buy as soon as they´re released. E.g. "Longest Day" is a special film for me (I´ve seen those actual beaches and visited in Normandy for starters).

So it´s great that Fox is releasing Blu-ray-titles. I´m not happy with several of their releases (extras dropped and still the high price), but at least they´re releasing titles (it´s better than what Universal and Paramount are doing at the moment).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would hope that Fox is releasing titles compared to what Universal and Paramount has done with BR, but due to the circumstances that's not really a fair comparison.

Anyhow, I will not deprive myself of my favorite Fox/MGM films due to this pricing issue. I am a firm believer in "not cutting off my noise to spite my face". Therefore, I will be buying "Patton", "The French Connection" and "Planet of the Apes" once they're released on BR because they've been among my favorite films ever since I watched them in a cinema more than 35 years ago. However, there are so many other titles I could've bought too.:)

Crawdaddy

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I see your point. It´s true, that if Fox just would lower their prices a bit and would keep all those extras (so that people could sell/trade those SD DVD and all that), they would simply sell more titles. No question about that. Just look what Warner is doing (with SD DVDs and Blu-ray-releases); Good selection of titles, good quality, fair pricing and extras included (well, perhaps not always using "lossless" in their releases..). They´ll sell.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Furthermore, the price is part of the deal.

The studios offer a product made with great craft, we pay money earned with great labour in return.

Quite normal to discuss the deal as a whole in a thread like this. AND the product, of course. :)

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Speaking for myself I don't bring up pricing in Fox threads anymore because A. It's been discussed to death, B. I don't like to be repetitive if I can help it. C. it's guaranteed to be brought up by others anyway ad nauseum. D. It is what it is at this point.

Personally while it's interesting to read what titles others are interested in with these announcement threads, ultimately in the end I don't concern myself with what others purchase, pass over or boycott. It their money and their decision, what do I care?

Now if anyone tries to dictate what I should or shouldn't spend my money on based on their agenda and priorities whether it be a stance on pricing, audio specs, a dropped featurette, etc, etc then we've got a problem. Frankly speaking if anyone has an issue with me continuing to purchase Fox/MGM titles then that's just too flippin bad.

Real Name
Donovan
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been struggling all day to change the starter in my Rodeo with little success. Technology marches on, but handcranks did work. :cool:

I used disingenuous instead of the far-more-inflammatory 'hypocritical', because I've been somewhat concerned about your ability to self-moderate your non-moderator posts. To use your words, if you want to 'practice what you preach', you should eliminate the price discussion until you've something new to add, and then in an appropriate thread.

As to the comparison of cover art vs. price, they're identical in that both are personal preference. You can like/dislike/hate specific cover art just as easily as the price, and choose to buy or not accordingly, however shallow that sounds. The price is an absolute, the value is individual, and we base our purchases on our definition of value.

As you've said before, you could easily afford to buy Fox BD's at their MSRP, but choose not to on principle, that principle being your perception of value, which is entirely individual. One's budget is also personal and individual, and may also not be an absolute number. I don't think anyone's arguing with your choice, my problem is with your posting tendency.

Lastly, my comment about being positive actually had nothing to do with studios/pricing/purchases/announcements or anything about this threads topic. My concern was making a point about a forum member, who also happens to be moderator, as I really don't want to jeopardize my membership here, just to make a point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your point is made, though, I disagree with some of your points of contention, but I will defer further contrary commentary at this time.

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes! Please do keep them coming, Fox. And I won't reiterate or debate what everyone else has said so far. :D

Well, ok, except this one thing. :P Even though I've made it clear in a couple other threads that all the negativity toward Blu-ray, the studios, etc. have gotten very tiring and redundant, maybe the previously suggested idea for an official sticky thread (or two) for certain specific, relatively universal complaints makes sense and would help the complaining at least be a bit more productive on the one hand (by having a clearer, more unified voice somewhere on the forum) and less destructive on the other (by reducing the noise in regular threads where folks just want to "talk shop" w/out being dragged into all that negativity).

Just a thought...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks