What's new

TCM's Top 200 films not on DVD (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
http://www.tcm.com/top/notondvd/

That's the page and a quick click is all that's needed to record a vote.
Only the Top Twelve were listed until fairly recently, maybe this is some kind of replacement for the no-show DVD decision. Most happily, many of my favorites are in there, but surprisingly, practically no noirs!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I have never seen Green Mansions.

While I realize it stars Audrey Hepburn, can someone please offer an explanation as to how it became their most requested title? (Even ahead of The African Queen!!)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I'm surprised myself. Not a great film. Audrey Hepburn is very popular with the younger generation I think she may even pass Marilyn Monroe it terms of popularity since her death. She is my favorite actress, but some of her films aren't classics and "Green Mansions" is one of them

Looked for "Fanny" with Leslie Caron and it's listed just past the 200 mark. Hope Someone releases this oscar nominated film soon. Also "The Devils" and "The Boy Friend" both by Ken Russell.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

You can go ahead and vote for them, by using the search box - the results are updated daily from what it says on the page.

I used to search for the rankings individually for each film I was interested in (as until very recently, they showed only the top 12) and quite a few films I searched for that were somewhere in the top 200 late last year have been released since then by different studios, so I do find it very encouraging. :)

I also find it very interesting to see the Top 200 most wanted titles in a list like that - quite surprising in more ways that one.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot find Ride The Pink Horse, but this is what I voted for from the list-
-The Mortal Storm
-Notorious
-The Enchanted Cottage
-The Friends of Eddie Coyle
-Song of The South
-Between Two Worlds
-The Picture of Dorian Gray
-Viviacious Lady
-Holiday Affair
-No Time For Sergeants
-Crime School
-Topper

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't understand. The list appears to include some movies that are readily available on DVD. Topper is available in a double feature along with Topper Returns from Lions Gate. I have it, and it appears to be still in print.

Others, like Notorious and Rebecca, have been out on DVD more than once (Anchor Bay and Criterion), but are currently out of print.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Funny the list include ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS at #66 when this is hitting DVD on 9/18, double bill with MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS.

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS was on DVD, via Anchor Bay but is now OOP.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A lot of Joan Crawford films are on the list

Letty Lynton (1932)
1554 votes; vote now

Forsaking All Others (1934)
730 votes; vote now

Autumn Leaves (1956)
727 votes; vote now

Harriet Craig (1950)
725 votes; vote now

Susan and God (1940)
704 votes; vote now

Possessed (1931)
696 votes; vote now

The Shining Hour (1938)
689 votes; vote now

The Gorgeous Hussy (1936)
688 votes; vote now

When Ladies Meet (1941)
681 votes; vote now

Strange Cargo (1940)
492 votes; vote now

Johnny Guitar (1954)
488 votes; vote now

Female on the Beach (1955)
452 votes; vote now

A Woman's Face (1941)
442 votes; vote now

Sadie McKee (1934)
424 votes; vote now

Chained (1934)
416 votes; vote now

Torch Song (1953)
414 votes; vote now

Our Dancing Daughters (1928)
411 votes; vote now

The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1937)
401 votes; vote now

Above Suspicion (1943)
390 votes; vote now

The Bride Wore Red (1937)
388 votes; vote now

MGM: When the Lion Roars (1992)
388 votes; vote now

Mannequin (1938)
387 votes; vote now

No More Ladies (1935)
385 votes; vote now

I Live My Life (1935)
382 votes; vote now

Love on the Run (1936)
380 votes; vote now

Laughing Sinners (1931)
380 votes; vote now

Paid (1930)
371 votes; vote now

Dance, Fools, Dance (1931)
355 votes; vote now

This Modern Age (1931)
304 votes; vote now

The Hollywood Revue of 1929 (1929)
254 votes; vote now

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

You can vote for ANY film by typing it in the searchbox on top of the page, opening the page for this title and voting there. :)

Looks like they are including any OOP films (the Selznick/Hitchcock films) and public domain titles in need of a proper release. That would make sense.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Notorious is number 6, but I know it's been released on Criterion disc because I've seen it from my local library. If it's OOP does that count?

SMK

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Yes, OOP titles are included and that makes sense since most people looking for a title on DVD couldn't normally obtain one at retail.

But there are some on the list that are on DVD and are not OOP.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
was disappointed to see that Midnight (1939) was dead last.
I would have thought this Claudette Colbert, John Barrymore, Don Ameche, Billy Wilder production would have had many more fans than that.

How do you vote for more than one title? As soon as I make a selection a dialouge box comes up requesting n e-mail address to insure against multiple votes

Greg_M

Screenwriter

just select another title and vote again (each time you vote you will get that message - unless you vote on one title more than once - than I believe you get another message saying you have already voted for that title

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
GREEN MANSIONS really seems like a very odd title to have received quite so many votes, no question - I suppose it's a rarely screened film and the book is well-known and a favourite with teenagers (or used to be anyway) but it's a pretty poor movie by any standards - but I dare say a lot more saleable than more 'significant' titles like such undisputed classics as GREED or even THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS for instance. Mind you, MORTAL STORM and SMILIN' THROUGH and STOP YOU'RE KILLING ME are highly unusual choices - it would be fascinating to know a little bit more about who is voting for these titles since many of the top choices are well out of the norm if not downright eccentric - maybe someone has found a way to get past the one-title-per-person voting system.

Let's hope they all make it to DVD sometime.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
A very strange list.
especially with all of the unreleased films from 20th century fox, the only fox film I spotted was With a Song in My Heart.

Corey

Screenwriter
Lots of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford on the list and it's really great to see Norma Shearer's Smilin Through in the top 5. Hopefully WHV releases it as a double feature with the Jeanette MacDonald version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks