What's new

TCM's "Private Screenings" series- any DVD release yet? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK, some might argue this belongs in the TV on DVD section, but I feel it belongs in the Film section. Last night I watched the latest installment of Turner Classic Movies' Private Screenings series, in which host Robert Osborne interviewed Golden Age child stars Dickie Moore, Jane Withers, Margaret O'Brien, and Darryl Hickman. It was a fascinating 90-minute look at Hollywood in the 30s, 405, and 50s through the eyes of child performers. This is only the lastest in the channel's long interview series with such stars as Jane Russell, Robert Mitchum, Angela Lansbury, Shirley MacLaine, Lauren Bacall, Jack Lemmon & Wlter Matthau, Charlton Heston, June Allyson, Anthony Quinn, Patricia Neal and other legends. Why isn't therte a DVD release for these historically important interviews? They should be released as a set- something every serious fan of classic Hollywood will enjoy!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'd buy DVDs of the 'Private Screenings' series, too. However, in the
meantime, the Dick Cavett interviews also look interesting. TCM
is broadcasting these interviews on Thursday's, while a DVD set
(Hollywood Legends) of the interviews was released a few
weeks ago. So far, I have been unable to find the new
Cavett DVD set in any store. Does anybody know for
sure which interviews are included in the new Cavett
DVD set?

Corey

Screenwriter
or they should at least include them as bonuses on other dvds featuring the stars. jane russell's on dvd of macao, robert mitchum in next year's set, june allyson on any of her future dvds.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in if they release these. I would like to buy DVDs of all the original proramming that TCM does including the short compilations and actor/director tributes that they frequently air between movies.

Ironically, I met Ms. O'Brien two weeks ago in Indiana and she was incredibly pleasant and signed my DVD of "Meet Me in St. Louis" for free. We need more of her films on DVD. I asked her if any were in process, but she was unaware of any. Bring on "Canterville Ghost" & "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes"!!

Here is the complete details.
http://www.shoutfactory.com/selectio...od_greats.html

I believe that the only episode on TCM that is not on the set is the new interview with Mel Brooks. Personally, I didn't find that one very compelling anyway. Brooks babbled on and on and on and very little about his actual films. I have the other two episodes aired thus far on my Tivo, and if they strike me then I will probably order this boxset.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The TCM Private Screenings with Sidney Lumet is on the 2-disc SE of Network.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have recorded all the Private Screenings interviews and burned my own DVD-Rs. I assumed they would eventually make their way to DVDs of specific films or in a set of films for a certain star, Esther Williams, for example.

That discussion between the four child actors last night was one of the most compelling of all the sessions. I was riveted to their stories and Darryl Hickman in particular.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have the latest Cavett set. It contains interviews with Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Alfred Hitchcock, Kirk Douglas, Fred Astaire, Robert Altman, Peter Bogdanovich, Marlon Brando, Mel Brooks, Frank Capra, John Huston, Groucho Marx, Debbie Reynolds, Robert Mitchum, and Orson Welles.

Some are better than others. I'm sorry he didn't include his two interviews with George Cukor which were incredible. Fortunately, I taped them when they were broadcast (shows how old *I* am).

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
In addition to the classic Dick Cavett episodes, TCM had a new one with Mel Brooks. It doesn't appear to be on any of the DVDs, but I'd snap it up in an instant.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The one last night was cool...especially since I had just met Margaret O' Brien two weeks ago! She is the sweetest, lovliest lady I have ever met!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The Angela Lansbury show of a month or two ago was one of the best they ever did! My only disappointment was that they didn't show any of her stage successes, which is odd, since TCM's sister company WB owns SWEENEY TODD (the priceless record of the 1981 LA national tour prod with Lansbury and the sensational George Hearn)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks