What's new

TCM Vault: Universal Westerns of the 1950s, Feb 18 (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got mine and can confirm that Saskatchewan and Pillars of the Sky are both MOD discs while the other 3 are pressed. Truly bizarre. I'll be watching them today and chime in on the quality.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Indeed, same here. Universal must have prepped them for MOD release, then turned them over to TCM when a deal was struck.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Horizon's West looked great. Saskatchewan's transfer somewhat less so and the transfer seems a bit older, but it still looked pretty good.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JosephGC said:
same here, 3 dvd and & 2 mod. Watched the 2 mods & quality is excellent
My set arrived today . Same as everybody else received . 3 Dvd 2 Mod . I've bought many of the TCM sets . This is the first i received with mods. I have bought many mods from all the different companies putting them out . So i don't have an issue with mod discs . Just not sure why they sold the sets mixed with no fanfare . I didn't notice anything on their website stating that the discs would be mod . I just wish they were a little clearer on the product description .

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
JoHud said:
Horizon's West looked great.
The larger your screen, though (mine was projected 8.5 feet wide) the more you'll be able to see that hardly a shot was free of some degree of color misregistration, varying from subtle to glaringly obvious, though the latter was comparatively rare.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Watched 'em all and was generally pleased overall. Not Sony quality transfers, but good overall and better than some of the Universal 2012 TCM entries (i.e. "Dark Crimes" collection, Women in Danger) and no OAR issues.
Paul Penna said:
The larger your screen, though (mine was projected 8.5 feet wide) the more you'll be able to see that hardly a shot was free of some degree of color misregistration, varying from subtle to glaringly obvious, though the latter was comparatively rare.
Yeah, my screen is 50" so it didn't really stick out much. Thanks for the input.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by JoHud
Watched 'em all and was generally pleased overall. Not Sony quality transfers, but good overall and better than some of the Universal 2012 TCM entries (i.e. "Dark Crimes" collection, Women in Danger) and no OAR issues.
Yeah, my screen is 50" so it didn't really stick out much. Thanks for the input.
Thanks for the heads up. look forward to the set. I still haven't watched my Dark Crimes or Women in Danger sets. I'll get to them eventually. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought Backlash looked very good as well as Horizon's West. I'm still watching Pillars of the Sky and thought the other two titles looked fine.

yoknapatawpha

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
I'm pretty certain I'm going to be buying this set soon, but could someone who's already done so and watched it confirm whether or not the Robert Osborne intros are included? Not like my purchase is hinging on it or anything, but it'd be nice to know for sure. The reason I ask is that the sole review over on the TCM site seems to indicate that they might not be on there, despite being listed as a feature. Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by yoknapatawpha
I'm pretty certain I'm going to be buying this set soon, but could someone who's already done so and watched it confirm whether or not the Robert Osborne intros are included? Not like my purchase is hinging on it or anything, but it'd be nice to know for sure. The reason I ask is that the sole review over on the TCM site seems to indicate that they might not be on there, despite being listed as a feature. Thanks.
I didn't notice any intros.
Crawdaddy

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Lately the sets just have one all-encompassing Osborne/Mankiewicz intro on the first disc alongside the TCM.com article on all the features. This one however had no intro but included the TCM.com article on the Horizons West disc.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Is the AR correct on these? HORIZONS WEST is the only 1.37:1 film in the group.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
That's good to know. Are the others 1.85 or 2.1?
Bob,

I was mistaken, Saskatchewan is in 1.33 and so is Dawn at Socorro which should be in 2:01

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It seems TCM had some defective discs of Horizons West during their initial release. The defect affects the scene when the sheriff has a meeting in which they agree to reinstate the Texas Rangers and round up a posse. My original and replacement set both had this defect. TCM just shipped me a replacement disc for this film in a cardboard sleeve along with a note stating why.
Robert Crawford said:
Bob,

I was mistaken, Saskatchewan is in 1.33 and so is Dawn at Socorro

Correct, only the last two are presented in widescreen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's a big mistake.

"Saskatchewan" was one of the first 2.1 features. It began filming for that ratio on August 4, 1953.

If they're not going to do research, why don't they reach out for help?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So infuriating. But they released one of my most anticipated Joan Crawford features Female on the Beach in Academy last year much to my dismay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks