What's new

TCM/Universal sets RIP? (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I haven't seen any announcements about new sets. Is this program dead? Or are they taking the time to digitally re-master any new releases?

The TCM/Universal 2012 sets generally had very disappointing visual quality. If they're going to continue with it, I hope they're going to do it right. Sony does it right with their TCM sets.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I made it a point to preorder every set offered that I had even the slightest interest in to assure that I got pressed discs. Thankfully, I'm not much of a Western fan, so I didn't bother with the last set. Now reading that even preorders included a couple of DVD-Rs has me taking a wait-and-see approach on any future Universal sets. It's not that I'm dead set against DVD-R, just that there's no sense of urgency to put in an order for something they can whip out on the spot.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Hard to say. Sometimes in the past there were long breaks between Universal TCM sets. If nothing shows up during the Summer, I'd say it would be safe to call the line over or at least in hiatus.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The only pre order on the TCM shop right now is the Karloff set which comes out in a couple of weeks . It's a Columbia release not Universal . I pre ordered that months ago . There hasn't been anything new since then . I hope the Universal connection isn't down the tubes . Universal has to be the worst of the major companies putting out the catalogue titles they have . So many of the pre 50s Paramounts and their own films are missing from DVD . At least we got a few from this TCM connection .

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I hope they decide to re-consider the packaging of these sets. It clearly wasn't designed with functionality or DVD preservation in mind.

I ordered "Joan Crawford in the 1950's" and "Women in Danger", and 3 of the 4 discs in the Joan Crawford set were quite significantly scuffed from the shoddy packaging. I relocated the discs from each set into separate Viva multi-disc cases and filed them on the shelf next to the empty boxes.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I also wish they'd ditch the digipacks they've been using. The multi-disc sets through the Warner Archive are much more securely and safely packaged.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Almost every set I'e received from TCM has had at least one loose disc . Thanks to the digipacks .

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
And these sets aren't exactly cheap - I got mine from Movies Unlimited for $35 each. For that price I expect discs which don't look like they've already been grist from the rental shops.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
borisfw said:
Universal has to be the worst of the major companies putting out the catalogue titles they have . So many of the pre 50s Paramounts and their own films are missing from DVD . At least we got a few from this TCM connection .
That's completely and obviously untrue. When you add up add the Franchise Collections, Legacy Collections, single disk releases, other box sets, Backlot collections, and TCM releases, Universal has released an enourmous amount of classic material (sometimes of good quality and sometimes not, I'll grant you). The big thing about Universal is that, especially because of their Paramount acquistion and because of their strength in various genre categories, they stil have more unreleased material that's strongly desired by fans than any other studio. It's only on a percentage basis that Universal lags, and that is largely a reflection of its library being so rich.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JoeDoakes said:
That's completely and obviously untrue. When you add up add the Franchise Collections, Legacy Collections, single disk releases, other box sets, Backlot collections, and TCM releases, Universal has released an enourmous amount of classic material (sometimes of good quality and sometimes not, I'll grant you). The big thing about Universal is that, especially because of their Paramount acquistion and because of their strength in various genre categories, they stil have more unreleased material that's strongly desired by fans than any other studio. It's only on a percentage basis that Universal lags, and that is largely a reflection of its library being so rich.
First off saying my statement is completely and obviously untrue is the same as calling me a lair . I find that insulting and seeing that your an advanced member I find it more insulting . First off your wrong . My statement is not completely and obviously untrue .

My main concern is with the pre 50s Paramounts ,although other than the Universal horrors there is still alot of classic Universal titles missing .

The pre 50s Paramounts are way under represented on DVD compared to most other major studios . Look at the films of actors like Milland,Ladd,Holden ,MacMurray,Hayden,Lamour,Colbert amoung others . Most of the 30s and 40s films are not on DVD .

So disagree if you want ,but don't tell me I'm telling untruths .

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
With this week's announcement of a Columbia Noir vol IV being released in August with nothing forthcoming from Universal, we won't see anything from them until the Fall season at the soonest, if at all.
borisfw said:
Universal has to be the worst of the major companies putting out the catalogue titles they have . So many of the pre 50s Paramounts and their own films are missing from DVD . At least we got a few from this TCM connection .
I agree with that. Since their Backlot line dried up back in 2010, the only venue for new Universal titles in R1 had been the TCM line and their seriously anemic MOD line along with with a handful of titles Criterion managed to license from them.

A few years ago, Paramount (w/ Republic) and Fox was in the same boat, but active sublicensing and the latter's recent shoddy, yet very active MOD line appears to be making more of the library available. In comparison, Universal's unreleased backlog is virtually collecting dust.

However, in the past year, I'll concede that MGM is probably the worst since their MOD line came to an abrupt end as nothing new from their company has shown up since, except through a few TGG Direct releases. Someone needs to deliver a consistent sub-licensing deal with these two companies ASAP!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
borisfw said:
First off saying my statement is completely and obviously untrue is the same as calling me a lair . I find that insulting and seeing that your an advanced member I find it more insulting . First off your wrong . My statement is not completely and obviously untrue .

My main concern is with the pre 50s Paramounts ,although other than the Universal horrors there is still alot of classic Universal titles missing .

The pre 50s Paramounts are way under represented on DVD compared to most other major studios . Look at the films of actors like Milland,Ladd,Holden ,MacMurray,Hayden,Lamour,Colbert amoung others . Most of the 30s and 40s films are not on DVD .

Dude he isnt calling you a liar, he just said your statement isn't true as in your statement is incorrect. I dont believe he was insulting you or belittling your character at all. I think you mis-understood his remark.
And he is right...Universal has put out TONS of sets, catalog titles - legacy sets, horror sets,single titles
Probably the studio that puts out the least , only because the license it to other studios like Olive, Legend Films, and recently Warner Brothers is Paramount..

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
David Steigman said:
Dude he isnt calling you a liar, he just said your statement isn't true as in your statement is incorrect. I dont believe he was insulting you or belittling your character at all. I think you mis-understood his remark.
And he is right...Universal has put out TONS of sets, catalog titles - legacy sets, horror sets,single titles
Probably the studio that puts out the least , only because the license it to other studios like Olive, Legend Films, and recently Warner Brothers is Paramount..
I will concede that a lair maybe was a little strong . But having said that , I think I understood his remarks just fine . And I don't think he is right . I already stated my opinion and reason for it . Either you didn't read it fully or you don't understand what I said . I agree that Paramount would have fewer titles out on DVD if they didn't license them out . Now if Universal would do the same I would be happy . Bottom line is I stand by what I said . If you think I'm wrong ,not a problem , it's your opinion .

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh I fully understood it but the liar part was incorrect as you have conceded. That's all Im saying about that..
You can stand by what you say, And Ill stand by what I " see "...a ton of Universal sets...
We have the Universal Horror Legacy Sets DVD sets, the Universal Monsters Blu Ray set, the Bela Lugosi collection, the Hammer Films Collection, the Universal Pre-Code set , the sets distributed through TCM , the Abbott and Costello set , the Hitchcock set, the Universal 100 Anniversary set, the Bourne Trilogy ..there a lot out there ! :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
borisfw said:

I don't think that you were being deliberately false (i.e., deceitful). I just think that your understandable frustration with having so much great stuff unreleased (and I want the same stuff you do) led you to make a greatly exagerated comparison with other studios. On a purely quantitative level, Universal fairs fairly well. I think your statement is comparable to that if someone frustrated with Bush or Obama were to label either one the "world's worst national leader." I would grant those of any political leaning that there were grounds for exasperation in either case, but to label either the "world's worst" is definitely not true. Anyway, I am sorry if I offended you. I enjoy your posts and hope that there are no hard feelings.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JoeDoakes said:
I don't think that you were being deliberately false (i.e., deceitful). I just think that your understandable frustration with having so much great stuff unreleased (and I want the same stuff you do) led you to make a greatly exagerated comparison with other studios. On a purely quantitative level, Universal fairs fairly well. I think your statement is comparable to that if someone frustrated with Bush or Obama were to label either one the "world's worst national leader." I would grant those of any political leaning that there were grounds for exasperation in either case, but to label either the "world's worst" is definitely not true. Anyway, I am sorry if I offended you. I enjoy your posts and hope that there are no hard feelings.
No hard feelings . Just didn't think you worded your response the right way . But no problem . I also enjoy your posts and look foward to reading them in the future . As far as my statement i will say this and let it go . My issue is with Universal's handling of the pre 50s Paramount library . If you look at most of the Paramount stars from that era and go through the filmographys you will see that they are missing many titles from Paramount of that era . (30s-40s) . I gave examples of many actors from that period that were under Paramount control like Milland ,Ladd ,Holden , Colbert and many more . Other actors from that era with other major studios don't have those holes in the films out on DVD . Universal has done a good job getting out the horror titles . Which i am grateful for because that is my favorite type of movie . Also Hope and Crosby . I just wish they would jumpstart the early Paramount library .

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I'm still waiting for Universal to release the four Technicolor Dorothy Lamour "sarong" movies (HER JUNGLE LOVE, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON, TYPHOON) as well as the first one, done in black-and-white, THE JUNGLE PRINCESS. I've never even known these to be shown on television in my lifetime.

And where is the "lost" Jon Hall/Maria Montez film, WHITE SAVAGE (1943)? A 35mm print exists because it played at Anthology Film Archives in New York in 2009 (on a date I couldn't attend). That's a Universal picture, too. I've seen all the other Hall/Montez films, but that one was conspicuously absent when the others all played on TV many years ago and has been MIA in any video format.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
borisfw said:

Not only the pre-1950 Paramount titles under represented,but so are the Non-Horror/Non-Abbott & Costello Universal/Universal-International films from the same period. If it's not a horror/A&C/major "A" title, it's not out there either.Could the destruction of the working masters in the Vault Fire be a factor - is the studio reluctant to spend the time and money to make new working masters from the negatives for DVD.MOD,and Television ? If Comcast wanted to, they have enough films to create their own TCM,even!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I just bought a used box set containing five Gary Cooper films from Paramount made from 1935-39.

The Gary Cooper Collection is released by Universal and contains the following films:
DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933)
THE LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER (1935)
PETER IBBETSON (1935)
THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN (1936)
BEAU GESTE (1939)

Pretty good buy: five classic films for $10 total.

And I've never seen PETER IBBETSON.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks