What's new

TCM showing short version of Raintree County 168 minutes instead of roadshow 188 minutes at 5pm EST (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know TCM has the longer roadshow version of Raintree County as I recorded it many years ago. Don't know why they are showing the short version.

billlit

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Littman
My understanding is that they leased usage of the Roadshow elements from a collector and then intercut the color-turned-red footage with a standard print. The lease seems to have run out. Don't know the status of the 70mm pre-print material. (70mm prints of RC were never shown in the U.S. back in '57.) Hopefully somebody's making plans for a Blu-ray somewhere. 2012 is anniversary 55.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
billlit said:
My understanding is that they leased usage of the Roadshow elements from a collector and then intercut the color-turned-red footage with a standard print. The lease seems to have run out. Don't know the status of the 70mm pre-print material. (70mm prints of RC were never shown in the U.S. back in '57.) Hopefully somebody's making plans for a Blu-ray somewhere. 2012 is anniversary 55.
I have a copy of it and there is no color-turned-red footage. The roadshow print looked fine. It did come from a collector.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just glanced at it in passing tonight, but the little bit I saw, I thought the quality of the video was superior to the last time I watched it on TCM-HD.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
MattH. said:
I just glanced at it in passing tonight, but the little bit I saw, I thought the quality of the video was superior to the last time I watched it on TCM-HD.
Yes, it did look good. It also had more picture information (measured about 2.35:1) on both sides compared to my copy of the roadshow version - (measured about 2.15:1). This one is about 173 minutes and the roadshow is about 187 minutes. The extra scenes are before the intermission.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just discovered though shot in 70mm, or MGM Camera 65, Raintree County was never released in 70mm as all the theatres capable of showing 70mm were booked! Extraordinary.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
There’s a torrent on offer. Said it’s 720p. So I had to download some of it to see what it looks like and it isn’t very good. Hopefully someone will soon realise how many would like to see a decent Blu Ray restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks