What's new

TCM short "100 Years at the Movies"- any DVD release? (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Earlier today TCM again showed this wonderful Chuck Workman short, and I've always wondered if it will ever be put out on DVD. For those who haven't seen it, you can watch it here:
YouTube - 100 years at the movies
And if you're not familiar with the clips, here is a scene-by-scene description:
100 Years at the Movies
BTW, there are some errors: the B/W calvary footage after She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is actually from Fort Apache, and the Duck Soup pantomime is Groucho and Harpo dressed as Groucho.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I've recorded that a couple of times (when it happened to come on after a movie I was recording off TCM). I like it too.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I agree, I would also love to have this on DVD. However, I've always figured the clearance issues would be a nightmare -- so many clips, from so many owners!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Dave B Ferris said:
I agree, I would also love to have this on DVD. However, I've always figured the clearance issues would be a nightmare -- so many clips, from so many owners!
That's an interesting point. I've heard so many times on documentaries and extra features that they could not get clearance for clips. Why would a studio not want free advertising for their goods? This short films is essentially a commercial for hundreds of classic films. Every time that I watch this short, I have a strong urge to pull one of them off my shelf and watch it, and if I didn't already own it, I would want to run out and buy it.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Eric Peterson said:
This short films is essentially a commercial for hundreds of classic films. Every time that I watch this short, I have a strong urge to pull one of them off my shelf and watch it, and if I didn't already own it, I would want to run out and buy it.
You're absolutely right. This clip made it painfully clear to me that I still need to buy a lot of dvds/Blu-Rays to check out all these different masterpieces and genres.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I have a pair of updates:

For those of us who still wish to record this short to a (handmade) DVD, I have realized (perhaps long after the rest of you) that TCM now lists this "short" in their programming guide, so we know exactly when it will air. I was able to catch/record two airings in September. Sadly, at this moment, no airings are scheduled.

Second, a new Chuck Workman documentary, "What is Cinema", was released (or was scheduled to be released) on DVD & BR this week. I sent an email to the studio, asking whether the "100 years" short is included as a bonus; however, I did not receive a reply. If "100 years" is not included, I think I'll stuff the "What is Cinema" disc and a (handmade) "100 years" disc in a double-BR case.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Chuck Workman is certainly a genius and I think his shorts have been the template for all the movie documentaries made for tv and dvd/bluray over the last 20 years, particularly in the editing.

I have to admit that I prefer the shorts he made for the Academy Award telecasts during the 1990s (usually introduced by the-then president of the Academy, Karl Malden) -- I know he still does these occasionally for the Academy Awards on special occasions -- am certainly looking forward to his "What is Cinema" bluray when it is released, but I think because of clearances he may not have as many movies to use as source material as he did in these presentations from the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks