What's new

TCM R2 Universal DVD (1 Viewer)

Paul B

Auditioning
Can anyone please post some screenshots of the night time/chase sequence from Universal's R2 Texas Chainsaw Massacre disc? I really want to know if that part, along with a few others, is as dark and blocky as the R1 Pioneer. My R1 disc was hard a heck to make out at times and my vhs looked way better.

Thanks;)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
If you can give me some times I can try. The R2 dvd is the Elite LD transfer. The corrected one, not the uncorrected one Pioneer used.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

How do you know that, Mark? I'm not doubting you, just wondering where you found that out.

I remember reading a good article a couple of years ago about how the Pioneer DVD had messed up and left a lot of white marks (called 'slugs') on the disc, as opposed to the cleaned-up LD. It also sounds like the documentary is worthwhile.

I've been wondering for a while if the UK version is worth picking up.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I guess I don't know 100% but feel fairly confident. I own the Elite LD and the R2 DVD. I've seen the Pioneer disc and the R2 DVD lacks the problems on the Pioneer dvd. Its also non-anamorphic. The R2 DVD also includes the Elite LD commentary. It would make sense that they used the Elite transfer since they already had to deal with them to license the commentary track. I haven't compared the extras though.

Paul B

Auditioning
if you have powerdvd or windvd, just pause the movie on a part and click the camera icon. it should snap a shot and automatically save it somewhere. if this is still unclear, just go to google and type in powerdvd/windvd how to take a screenshot.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Paul, i too see the obvious blocking (pixelation in this dvd. it is mostly visible in dark scenes such as the interior of the house the group first go into. In fact the blocking is so bad the middle part of the screen seems to freeze. This is the worst example of blocking i have ever seen on a disc and i own a very capable Sony S735d (originally cost £500)

Paul B

Auditioning
the R1 is crappy. in the scene where leatherface is chasing sally through the woods, you literally cannot make out anything. it's so dark and blocky. that's why i wanted to see screenshots of that scene from the r2 universal disc to see if that sequence is just as dark.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I haven't watched my R1 since I upgraded to a 53" set. Can't help but fear what it might look like now!

I do remember a good article a few years back where Don May was bemoaning the fact that Pioneer had not used the final Laserdisc master for the DVD, leaving in imperfections that the LD did not have.

The chance that the UK is the right master, has "The Shocking Truth" (which I've never seen) and is cheap right now is making me check it out.

Paul B

Auditioning
can someone please take some screenshots of the nighttime/chase sequence through the woods from the R2 disc? i'm debating whether or not to buy it. i took some screenshots of the chase scene from the R1 but i don't know how to post them on here. you guys have to see how crappy the transfer is!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.