What's new

TCM-HD showing Singin' In The Rain in WIDESCREEN (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Normally, I really appreciate TCM. They seem to do a good job at OAR. BUT, today's showing of Singin' In The Rain on TCM-HD is being presented in widescreen. I can't tell if it is 16x9, or slightly less (there appears to be a very narrow bar on the sides). This appears to be a Tilt&Scan, not a squeeze presentation. During the Fit As A Fiddle number, they actually cut off Gene and Donald's feet. I did flip over the the regular TCM channel, and it is in the correct 4x3 aspect. I hope this is a one-time aberration. David

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes... I just noticed that too. There have been other examples recently. Who has a contact at TCM? This is truly unacceptable, especially from a source so dedicated to correct presentation. Is TCM turning into AMC? Let's hope not. The aspect ratio is about 1.66.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As I posted earlier, TCM-HD has also shown State Fair (1933) and Up the River (1930) in a 16:9 presentation. Regular TCM shows these same broadcasts in their OAR. Someone with connections to TCM should be challenging this unacceptable practice.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I don't have a contact at TCM, but I did leave a message complaining on their website. It is isn't much but it is a start. I hope others will complain as well.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Probably a mistake as its not mentioned on their web site. The following are and should not be. 2/27 3:00 PM Boomerang (1947) A prosecutor fights to prove the defendant in a scandalous murder case is innocent. Dir: Elia Kazan Cast: Dana Andrews , Jane Wyatt , Lee J. Cobb . BW-88 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format 2/28 - 4:30 PM On the Riviera (1951) A nightclub entertainer temporarily replaces a tycoon he's famous for impersonating. Dir: Walter Lang Cast: Danny Kaye , Gene Tierney , Corinne Calvet . C-90 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't monitor TCM all the time for such anomalies, but have experienced this "mistake" on 3 different occasions. This could be an emerging pattern, and should be nipped in the bud ASAP. TCM is one of our last bastions for deep "catalog" films. Let's hope they start paying more attention to original aspect ratios. As far as I'm concerned, TCM should NOT show any films not in their OAR. I've always considered TCM our ally in the fight for film preservation and enjoyment of the classics. Please, TCM, don't sully your reputation!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Someone please post right away the next time you see this happen. I haven't caught it myself. Everything on TCM-HD is window-boxed on my TV, but other people never get that, either.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've noticed the window-boxing, at least on originally widescreen movies. However, since window-boxing doesn't alter the OAR, it isn't a problem to me. David

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've only been pointing it out because I get it only on that channel, no others.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
But everyone posting here should send a message via the TCM site. They may or may not read this forum. As for the window boxing, I can live with that. As another poster noted, this does not affect the aspect ratio.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Tonight TCM HD and standard are showing THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING, shot in 2.35 aspect ratio, in some cropped version. This is twice in one week they have shown a film in the wrong version. What is going on with TCM?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Almost blinded by the very sparkly Christmas ornament style Overture image.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yet another TCM HD film shown in the wrong aspect ratio. CHARLEY (1968) which is 2.35 but is being shown at about 1.75, except for the occasional shot where there are multiple images. Very strange. I have sent e-mails to TCM about this, but have received no responses in the last two weeks. If anyone has a connection at TCM, please see if you can find out what is going on here. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks