TCM Goofed on Convoy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I was doing my usual flipping through the menu on directv and decided to see what movies were playing on TCM and FMC. Convoy was on TCM and you know what? It was the pan and scanned version. WTF?!?!? I've never seen this movie before, OAR or P&S, but I can tell it was pan and scanned from the OAR letterboxed version because everything looked close up and you can only see like one car at a time in the chases. I couldn't watch it. Hopefully, TCM don't make this mistake again. Or maybe they don't have an OAR version in their studio. I dunno. But hope they get it replaced soon.

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Surprised the hell out of me too! For a minute, I thought I had turned to AMC. [​IMG] Wasn't this released on DVD recently? I was hoping to check it out OAR, as seeing Peckinpah's slo-mo doesn't quite work in pan-n-scam!

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    In defense of TCM, maybe that's the only version they could get their hands on because last night, they showed the LBX version of "White Lightning".

Crawdaddy

4. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

They also showed the letterboxed version of Mr Majestic right before.

People need to realize just because something is on TCM it doesn't always mean its shown in its OAR. Doesn't happen much but it does happen (always has). This is especially true when it comes to the more obscure Cult films. I'm not sure why but maybe they just don't have access to the proper versions.

They're still the best damn movie channel out there despite these glitches.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    TCM had no control over which version. Whenever they show a movie they hold the rights to through the Warner library or Turner library, they always try to get the best possible master. (Most of their Turner LBX prints are laserdisc and some DVD transfers!) It's just a shame MGM didn't provide a newer transfer to TCM...they give pretty good ones for their other films.
    MGM is usually pretty good about providing OAR versions to TCM, but the only NTSC transfer out there is that analog 16mm-originated transfer of Convoy. Only a PAL version of the 2.35:1 OAR version exists...and they can't really use that. It's not even on DVD yet. (in other regions and anamorphic, too)
    The same problem was with Around the World in Eighty Days...but at least they had exclusive rights, so they could make a new transfer whenever they wanted.
    However, on June 17th at noon, TCM will be re-airing their LBX version of Around the World in Eighty Days in Dolby Surround. [​IMG]

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

On TCM's site, it is listed as being LBX.

~T

7. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Actually, MGM does not own the rights to "Convoy". StudioCanal does (EMI originally produced it, StudioCanal acquired its library).

8. TomND

TomND Auditioning

Patrick, I noticed that the Around the World in Eighty Days to be shown has a running time of 141 min. Is this TCM's only print of the film? I believe that the full version of the film runs at 175 min. Do you have any information about this?

9. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

The 141 min. version of "80 Days" was the version reissued by Warner Bros. in the late 1980s. It is this reissue print that is the basis for TCM's letterbox showing. The full-length version is currently under restoration.

10. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Go to this website on TCM and go to the FAQ area, pull down Letterbox YES and look at all the idiots who don't like TCM showing the widescreen movies in letterbox. They prefer pan and scan and this one bozo thinks they are cropping the top and bottom of the movie. What a moron!! Some movies, that is true, to the ones that are soft matte. But most the other movies aren't. Hopefully, TCM won't listen to these idiots and show pan and scan. A little more education is the key.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I thought Convoy was owned by MGM since TCM's print started with the 1976-1986 UA logo and Robert Osborne said it was released by UA.

About Eighty Days...the print used for the original 1986 video transfer isn't in usable condition anymore, so the uncut version couldn't be transfered. However, WB has a few Technicolor 35mm prints of the 1968 re-release which was edited to 141 minutes. That's where they got the LBX transfer from.

An interesting note...the 1986 version which was around until the new LBX transfer came out (except for a "funeral" during the TCM Oscars marathon) was from 16mm and actually optically panned & scanned ON film. Both this and Convoy had the panning & scanning done years before the transfer was made.

Whenever it says 141 min., it's the LBX transfer. If it says 170 min, it's the P&S transfer.

12. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Patrick, if TCM's airing of "Convoy" did open with the UA logo, then I believe MGM has only the television rights, while all other rights lie with Studio Canal.

13. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    With all the great things that TCM does, I'm not going to second guess them on this. For whatever reason, this is what they had to run. It's the same with their Italian films, this month, some of them are dubbed, I'm sure they would have preferred to run all of them subtitled, but couldn't. As long as they treat great films and their viewers with the respect they deserve, they're ok with me. Next time, switch to AMC and TCM will look pretty good after that.