What's new

TCM: Finally in Real HD? (1 Viewer)

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Short subject on right now: "The Tanks are Coming" from 1941 in Technicolor, and it looks AMAZING. 99% sure it's HD. Wow.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that some studios' films are more likely to be HD than others:

More likely: Universal and Fox

Mixed bag: Warner Bros./MGM

Less likely: Columbia/Sony (The latest broadcasts of the Panavision THE WAY WE WERE and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA were pan-and-scan)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Roger Grodsky said:
Less likely: Columbia/Sony (The latest broadcasts of the Panavision THE WAY WE WERE and NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA were pan-and-scan)

OMG! And we KNOW there are widescreen HD masters available for both of them! Horrifying! I really expect better from TCM!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
TonyD said:
The Greatest Story Ever Told is on and appears HD despite what my guide says.

AR appears super wide. 2.55/1 or wider?

Well actually scanning around it might just be an upcon.

2.76:1

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw McCabe & Mrs Miller and when i compared it to the old dvd release TCM did use a better cleaner print of the film. Looks good and i hope a blu-ray release will make it look even better!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I saw that MCCABE AND MRS MILLER broadcast and agree it looks marginally better than the dvd. But it looks nothing like the original 1971 prints. But then this movie will be particularly hard to get right on digital given the way it was shot. I would definitely welcome a good blu ray but it is going to need someone like Criterion to get it down properly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
revgen said:
The Americanization of Emily was recently released on Blu-Ray from WAC. So it's most likely in HD.
TonyD said:
The Amercanization of Emily is coming up. Hope that's HD.
Here is one example of an HD broadcast that my guuide doesn't say is HD.

Joe S

Second Unit
They showed the European print (with nudity) of When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth Sunday morning and it appeared to be HD if my eyes can be trusted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Joe S said:
They showed the European print (with nudity) of When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth Sunday morning and it appeared to be HD if my eyes can be trusted.
Oh good. I recorded that one too.

Joe S

Second Unit
TonyD said:
Oh good. I recorded that one too.

I noticed a signal dropout for a couple seconds at 26 minutes in, just wondering if it was TCM-wide or a local problem.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Does Ryan's Daughter have an HD version?

Coming up on the 18th 1:45 am it's on TCM.

Joe S

Second Unit
I caught "Psycho" last week and it sure looked crisp and detailed. Even though I have seen it numerous times, I couldn't look away.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Watching right now 8:00pm EDST Darby O'Gill and the Little People, definitely an HD version. Looks great. More Disney Treasures on tonight after Darby.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
STAR! is on now and seems to be HD. But it still has that brown tinged look which many people here have commented on. Anyone else watching? I'd like more opinions... is this just the dvd somehow upscaled.... if so it seems awfully detailed and sharp.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I think it is the old master they used for the DVD. The sepia tinging of the "newsreel" footage is the giveaway. There are also a fair number of marks, specks, etc. It looks better than upconverted DVD, but is certainly not a new master. The whole thing has a brown, washed out look to it as well (besides the sepia - which should be black and white). Part of the reason I think it still looks pretty good is because it is from a TODD-AO source. It would need some work, unfortunately, to bring it up to Blu-ray quality. That's my assessment to this amateur's eyes.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Glenn. I am dvring it so I will need to check if like the dvd the entre' act music and intermission card are missing. I have never seen this on film... it came and went so fast here that I didn't get the chance, so I have no idea what the original colors were like. But I doubt that looked like this. My other guess is that given that this was DeLuxe stock and the film kinda disappeared for a couple of decades, that the brown may be result of the negative going bad. I know Deluxe prints did tend to slowly turn brown. This could be fixed for blu ray. I am sure though the market for this movie would be fairly limited... it would have to be some kind of limited run like what they do on Twilight Time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Star was HD too bad my recorder only recorded 66 minutes.

Millie, on now is NOT HD.

Hopefully Victor/Victoria on next will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks