What's new

TCM: Finally in Real HD? (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
davidmatychuk said:
Oh you Americans. You're just rubbing it in about your TCM-HD. "It looks upconverted", "No, damn you, it looks like true HD". Try crossing your northern border and having to settle for plain old Oatmeal-Vision TCM. Yeesh.
I'm on the northern side of the border and TCM looks HD to me of late.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
BTW Quatermas and the Pit or 5 million miles to Earth is on Saturday at 6est.Hopefully it will be the hd version avaiable on the foreign bluray.
Thank you for this heads-up. Got it scheduled to record. BTW, Saturday must be a mini-sci/fi-monster day. Starting at 11am they are showing:King Kong (original)Beneath the Planet of the ApesThem!And Five Million....I've got the DVD for Them, but will record this one. Maybe it will be HD? Probably not.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I've always been annoyed by the windowboxing and softness of TCMfauxHD. That is, until being alerted this week by this thread. The Birds looked great tonight!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Johnny Angell said:
Thank you for this heads-up. Got it scheduled to record. BTW, Saturday must be a mini-sci/fi-monster day. Starting at 11am they are showing:King Kong (original)Beneath the Planet of the ApesThem!And Five Million....I've got the DVD for Them, but will record this one. Maybe it will be HD? Probably not.
I'm recording it too and will watch it then compare it to the DVD.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
5 Million Years to Earth was the old SD widescreen transfer. Had the Fox logo at the front and a Warner Bros TV logo at the end.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Watched THE TIME MACHINE and it looked great, especially if you consider all the optical work in it... sounded good too. Also the somewhat obscure SLITHER and SCARECROW from the 70's were on last night in pristine HD, looking much as they did in their original prints. Again not everything looks this good. Interesting too to see some of the less mainstream or famous films get the HD treatment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Them" looked better than I ever seen it beforehand. There are sections of the tunnel scenes at the end that looked king of blurry, but I think that might be inherent to the film elements.

Joe S

Second Unit
The Adventures Of Robin Hood is playing right now. It looks great, but the audio seems a bit out of sync!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I caught some of Plymouth Adventure and Northwest Passage today, and neither looked particularly high def to me. Neither did Murders in the Rue Morgue that I recorded last night and watched some of today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Matt Hough said:
I caught some of Plymouth Adventure and Northwest Passage today, and neither looked particularly high def to me. Neither did Murders in the Rue Morgue that I recorded last night and watched some of today.
Matt I'm confused by your post. I am sure that you know there are movies that don't have an HD version or even if it did maybe TCM doesn't have access to it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert Crawford said:
I'm recording it too and will watch it then compare it to the DVD.
I haven't looked at the dvd in years but I felt like this looked decent enough even though it wasn't an HD version. It was also letterboxed (windowboxed?) on my screen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Not sure if Mitty is true HD now but it looks miles better then the airing a couple months ago.

Joe S

Second Unit
They ran Meet Me In St. Louis Saturday afternoon. It had to be real HD. Something about those old Technicolor films, they're gorgeous.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just compared "Quatermass and the Pit" to the Anchor Bay non-anamorphic 1.66:1 SD. TCM's was zoomed in, no 1.66:1 and it filled the screen completely. It was much darker than the SD, with less info on the top, but oddly a dash more info on the right.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
While The Wreck of the Mary Deare looked to be in HD, it looked pretty good either way, The Big Fisherman, which was large format, was in 4:3, and looked very bad. Does anyone know about the elements for The Big Fisherman? Has anyone seen any HD OAR transfers out there? I enjoyed The Wreck of the Mary Deare, having never seen it before, but it's only available on DVD so far.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
On Saturday they showed THE BLACK STALLION. I had watched part of it a few weeks ago. This time it was in HD and boy did it make a difference. Ended up watching it from beginning to end. Also watched part of HIS GIRL FRIDAY. It looked HD to me as well from the detail and the quality of the "blacks". Figure there will be a lot of TCM in my life for the next little while as I check out which films they have HD masters of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks