What's new

TCM: Finally in Real HD? (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw the beginning of the TCM broadcast of Star Wars and noticed that the aspect ratio changed after the credits and the image filled the whole screen. No fault of TCM I guess since they have no choice of what print is given to them?

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I've been noticing a number of strange aspect ratios lately on TCM:

Executive Suite (1954) was stretched wide to 16 x 9. IMDb says it's originally 1.75 x 1, but it was definitely stretched, i.e., looked like a 4:3 stretched to 16 x 9.

And there was one other pre-widescreen movie that was also stretched wide to 16 x 9.

This was in the past few months. Not a fan if this is a trend.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
A Thing from Another World (1951) was stretched in a broadcast a few days ago.

I watched about ten minutes of that and don't believe it was stretched; looks like the master they have matted off the top and bottom of the frame to get the 1:78 ratio.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I watched about ten minutes of that and don't believe it was stretched; looks like the master they have matted off the top and bottom of the frame to get the 1:78 ratio.
I've seen the same or similar approach with other Academy AR filmed programming. The video transfer uses all the image on the film for a slightly wider image. A number of older TV shows that have been remastered to HD look like this; one that comes to mind is Hogan's Heroes.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
A 1947 or 48 (i.e., pre-widescreen) film was shown a few days ago, and it was also stretched to fill 16:9.

I still do not like this trend. Prolly time to search out TCM on social media and say something...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Moving to Florida next month. Spectrum and Frontier do not offer TCM in HD. i guess I'll go with Directv.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
Spectrum here in Cincinnati is HD. But it used to be Time-Warner. The picture and sound actually markedly improved recently.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Verizon continues to have TCM is SD only. I watch in HD using Amazon Fire TV streaming.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I live in Central Florida and have Spectrum and get TCM in HD.

I will be living in Palmetto. On the Spectrum web site channel listing it's listed as channel 53 only so, I'm assuming that would be the SD channel. Also, no YES channel?

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
Not necessarily. Here in Cincy, all the lower-numbered channels are now HD, but the fact that channel 53 is the only channel listed is a concern.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I will be living in Palmetto. On the Spectrum web site channel listing it's listed as channel 53 only so, I'm assuming that would be the SD channel. Also, no YES channel?

I've got about 600+ channels so I don't know about YES, but I watch TCM in HD on 1357. There's an equivalent two digit channel for it, but I just stuck with the original 4-digit version because that's what I remember from first accessing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
YES is a regional sports network and I’m not sure why it would be carried outside of NY.

I know you can subscribe to rsn on Dtv.
Do other carriers do this?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not being able to watch the YES channel is one of the main reasons why I'm still with DirecTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks