What's new

TCM/Fathom 2018 (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pretty sure mine was 4K. As I said it looked amazing.

Reactions: PMF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I doubt the person you would speak to at most theaters knows the difference between 2K and 4K. Their most likely response is: "We play the file that is sent to us by Fathom; we have no control over the quality."

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Pretty sure mine was 4K. As I said it looked amazing.
Based on your posts, I suspect that yours was 4K, too.
I doubt the person you would speak to at most theaters knows the difference between 2K and 4K. Their most likely response is: "We play the file that is sent to us by Fathom; we have no control over the quality."
Exactly. I'm betting on the city venues as being 4K across the boards; but this is based on gut and not research.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Call the theater and see if they have a projectionist.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Call the theater and see if they have a projectionist.
Good advice, but we must be discerning when listening to their reply.
After all, a candy counter person could consider themselves as being one, simply for pressing a button.
This is the stuff of suburbs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Good advice, but we must be discerning when listening to their reply.
After all, a candy counter person could consider themselves as being one, simply for pressing a button.
This is the stuff of suburbs.
That was my experience the last time I made a complaint about presentation at the theater. They told me to wait while they got the "projectionist," then proceeded to grab some high school girl working further down the counter who claimed she was the "projectionist" and had projected the film as intended by the studio.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
That was my experience the last time I made a complaint about presentation at the theater. They told me to wait while they got the "projectionist," then proceeded to grab some high school girl working further down the counter who claimed she was the "projectionist" and had projected the film as intended by the studio.
You can place your complete trust in this individual, just as long as her name-tag denoted her as the "Asst. Manager", as well.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My local AMC has a dedicated professional projectionist.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I went back to The Sound of Music again tonight. This time I sat much closer to the screen than I did on Sunday. The row right in front of the handicapped seats before the start of the stadium seating. The theater I saw it at was most certainly showing the 4k version.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Saw this tonight. It didn't look 4k to me. The picture was good but not as sharp as the last time I saw it when the blu-ray was shown.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I sat in the same location as Wayne did. Definitely 4K on a large screen, so large that the image did not fill the screen horizontally, but did vertically (2.2 ratio?). I hadn't seen it on a screen (that I recall) since 1965. I really don't love the film, and this time I concentrated on the wonderful performance from Eleanor Parker. She, not Peggy Wood, deserved the Supporting Actress performance. Still, it was good to see it once again on the big screen. I don't have to see it again. I did have a neighbor who decided she was in the sing-a-long version. I quickly confronted her TWICE and then went to her face and told her loudly that I would have her ejected. She apologized and kept quiet but gesticulated Maria's part throughout the film. After the show, the patrons thanked me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I sat in the same location as Wayne did. Definitely 4K on a large screen, so large that the image did not fill the screen horizontally, but did vertically (2.2 ratio?). I hadn't seen it on a screen (that I recall) since 1965. I really don't love the film, and this time I concentrated on the wonderful performance from Eleanor Parker. She, not Peggy Wood, deserved the Supporting Actress performance. Still, it was good to see it once again on the big screen. I don't have to see it again. I did have a neighbor who decided she was in the sing-a-long version. I quickly confronted her TWICE and then went to her face and told her loudly that I would have her ejected. She apologized and kept quiet but gesticulated Maria's part throughout the film. After the show, the patrons thanked me.
Eleanor Parker’s performance also was the revelation for me seeing this for the first time on the big screen.

She was amazing and I agree she should have been nominated.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anyone know how Rebel Without a Cause is showing as PG-13 on Fandango? That rating didn't exist for about 30 years after the movie was released.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I looked it up on imdb and they say it was re-rated in 2005 to pg-13. Also on the official film ratings site.

TITLE:
Rebel Without A Cause (2005)
RATING:
PG-13
CERTIFICATE #:
REASON:
Rated PG-13 for some violence and thematic elements.
DISTRIBUTOR:
Warner Bros. Pictures Inc.
ALTERNATE TITLES:

OTHER:
Re-Issue from 1955

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The 2019 lineup has been announced:

The Wizard of Oz (January 27, 29, and 30)
My Fair Lady (February 17 and 20)
To Kill A Mockingbird (March 24 and 27)
Ben-Hur (April 14 and 17)
True Grit (May 5 and 8)
Steel Magnolias (May 19, 21, and 22)
Field of Dreams (June 16 and 18)
Glory (July 21 and 24)
Hello, Dolly! (August 11 and 14)
Lawrence of Arabia (September 1 and 4)
The Shawshank Redemption (September 22, 24, and 25)
Alien (October 13, 15, and 16)
The Godfather Part II (November 10, 12, and 13)
When Harry Met Sally (December 1 and 3)

http://www.playbill.com/article/hel...ir-lady-more-will-return-to-the-silver-screen

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Would be fun to relive seeing Alien on a big screen. I saw it during it's original run at a HUGE old school theater (with smoking rooms on each side of the theater!) in Denver.. Awesome experience seeing it there.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone go to see White Christmas tonight? Was great to finally see it on the big screen.

Not sure how authentic the aspect ratio was since it appeared like it was 16:9, but it didn't harm the experience any. And there's a short portion early in the movie that looked pretty soft, which has me curious now if the Blu-Ray is the same since I never noticed it.

I want to rewatch it on Blu-Ray, but time for bed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks