What's new

TCM Changing September 1 2021 > (1 Viewer)

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Note the very end of the message, where the C in TCM changes into 2 C's. There was a thought that it might be a name change. "Classic Cinema" an example.

Last edited:

billO'

Stunt Coordinator
When I dropped DirecTV as my provider two years ago and switched to FIOS, I still have TCM in my package of channels but for some god-knows-why reason it's not in high def. All my locals and the basic cables channels have a standard channel # and an HD channel...but not TCM, it's only standard def. Thankfully, in the ten or so previous years I had TCM in HD on Direct I was able to record almost all the films I wanted they aired that were rare or hard-to-get, but it still rankles me that when I'm just flipping around for something to watch now TCM is not one of my first go-to channels anymore. :(

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Maybe they will be launching a standalone app. It honestly makes sense in this day and age with so many people dropping cable/satellite service. I’m sure it will still be available on those providers, but it will now be available to many who no longer have those services… like me! ;)
If they announced a separate app channel we could watch on Apple TV or Roku that would be great news. TCM is one of the few channels that makes me keep my DTV subscription.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I no longer have cable and TCM in and of itself wasn’t enough to justify over $100 a month for services I never used, but a standalone app that didn’t require a cable subscription would definitely be of interest to me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I just checked the programming for the first week of September. There's nothing new. We still have Noir Alley, Silent Sundays, TCM Imports on Monday mornings, etc. How they present them may be a different story.

Last edited:

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
When I dropped DirecTV as my provider two years ago and switched to FIOS, I still have TCM in my package of channels but for some god-knows-why reason it's not in high def. All my locals and the basic cables channels have a standard channel # and an HD channel...but not TCM, it's only standard def. Thankfully, in the ten or so previous years I had TCM in HD on Direct I was able to record almost all the films I wanted they aired that were rare or hard-to-get, but it still rankles me that when I'm just flipping around for something to watch now TCM is not one of my first go-to channels anymore. :(
I have the same issue. I've been after my cable company (Mediacom) for years to carry TCM in HD. I was told to contact TCM about it, which I did. I was then advised the matter was given to their tech department and I would be notified if there is any change. That was last year. I haven't heard a peep.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We used to have TCM in Australia via our cable provide, Foxtel. However, they dropped TCM about 5 years ago amd my wife and I miss it still.
I can only hope that the big announcement next week is that they are launching a streaming service that we can subscribe to. We would sign up quicker than you can say Alicia Malone!!

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if there may be a clue in the very end of that video. The "TCM" comes down to screen center, then drops off. As it's dropping off, the "C" from the logo comes down by itself, then zooms towards the camera.

They don't do excess animation like that for shorts & giggles in a commercial.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
One area they could improve: Closed-captioning. What kind of millennial knucklehead hears "a la Bogart and Bacall" and thinks it's "Allah, Bogart and Bacall?"
I remember watching NETWORK in TCM years ago and put on the closed captioning and found out that a lot of instances of the f-word were removed from the captions!

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
My thought is that the only apparent source of revenue TCM has is revenue from subscribers of cable systems. This has probably gone down as cable systems move TCM from basic cable to higher tiers.
Not to mention cord-cutting. As well as that "Movies!" channel on broadcast stations that's basically TCM with commercials.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I wonder if there may be a clue in the very end of that video. The "TCM" comes down to screen center, then drops off. As it's dropping off, the "C" from the logo comes down by itself, then zooms towards the camera.

They don't do excess animation like that for shorts & giggles in a commercial.
Looks like a completely different "C" from the TCM logo. Looks like two C's together. Reminds me of the old Comcast logo.

Maybe this is their new logo?

cc 2021.jpg

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
My thought is that the only apparent source of revenue TCM has is revenue from subscribers of cable systems. This has probably gone down as cable systems move TCM from basic cable to higher tiers.
That's why I nolonger get TCM. I have to pay for a another add-on to my cable.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
My only major complaint is for them to consider switching to HD for their films. At least where I live in the Philadelphia, PA suburbs, we get it through Verizon FIOS and have had to live with SD forever. Additionally, a couple of years ago (2018?) they started charging more I guess as now you have to move to the highest tier payment plan to get TCM and STILL all in std. def. That sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks