What's new

TCM Changing September 1 2021 > (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I got the following email:

You love classic movies.
And we love bringing them to you.

But while classic is forever, we here at TCM are thinking it’s time for a refresh.

Don’t get us wrong, we’ll still present the greatest films ever made, along with all the backstories, profiles and context you’ve come to expect. That’s our DNA and a promise.

Only now, we’ll be doing it in a fresh, new way.

Same but different; making the best even better.
We’re excited to show you. See for yourself starting September 1st.

Hopefully no commercials or more recent films. Please don't follow AMC.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how everybody is assuming the worst with this email.
Its just that what could they do to improve commercial free uncut classic movies ? Follow FXM where they show classics commercial free in the mornings until 3 PM and then recent films with commercials. Follow AMC and dump classic films for recent films and original programing with commercials. I can't think of anything that would significantly improve what they are already doing so unless this is all about a new set, which i don't care about, I can only think of things that would diminish what TCM already does. We won't have long to wait to find out.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
On TCM's Twitter feed, most comments are fearing the worst. In spite of that, it was pointed out the schedule for September was online and it looked like a normal TCM month of films.

Here's what TCM has said:

"We are and always will be committed to celebrating the Golden Age of Hollywood."

"You won’t have to log in to watch, and will still be able to enjoy TCM as you do now."

"You’ll still be able to enjoy TCM as you do now."

Sounds like the changes will be additional not fundamental. I'm reserving my judgement until it happens. We shall see.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
My thought is that the only apparent source of revenue TCM has is revenue from subscribers of cable systems. This has probably gone down as cable systems move TCM from basic cable to higher tiers.
Its good to know they are not adding commercials but I would think whatever they are doing, it is a way to generate more revenue.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
Maybe they will be launching a standalone app. It honestly makes sense in this day and age with so many people dropping cable/satellite service. I’m sure it will still be available on those providers, but it will now be available to many who no longer have those services… like me! ;)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
One area they could improve: Closed-captioning. What kind of millennial knucklehead hears "a la Bogart and Bacall" and thinks it's "Allah, Bogart and Bacall?"

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
The fear of course is they destroy the channel like AMC did with theirs. I no longer watch it. I would pay for TMC to stay the same with no commercials and classic films but in our toxic quarterly profit based society nothing quality is safe if the board of directors want more profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks