TCM background music

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MikeRR, Sep 19, 2004.

1. MikeRR

MikeRR Agent

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the TV forum, but I'm posting this here since I think it would be more likely to get a response.

Anyway, does anybody know the piece of music that accompanies the Turner Classics commercial with the three panels showcasing the main programming events this month? I think it is a wonderful piece of music and would like to use it myself (I'm a second year film student). Any help would be appreciated.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah I've been trying to capture that little piece, it's very pleasant to watch! [​IMG] I wish I could help you on the song but I don't know it, maybe if I capped and uploaded it someone wouuld be able to help. Is there a certain time this comes on?

Anoter favorite of mine is the Sunny Side of Life piece in between movies in the mornings. [​IMG]

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Scott, don't know if you know, but the morning song is Look For the Silver Lining as performed by Chet Baker, available on the classic Chet Baker Sings album/CD. I don't know about the other, but I'll keep an ear out for it.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for the info Greg, I always assumed that song was made for that 30-second spot. :b Anyways here's the capture, pretty big in file size but I cranked the bitrates up.

Video

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't think this is the version of the song that they play. I'm pretty sure the version they play is from the 1936 film The Great Zeigfeld, which if IMDB is to believed, sung by, amongst others, William Powell and William Demarest!

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG]

7. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Unless they changed it, it's Chet Baker. I listen to that disc and song all the time. It's the one over all those Hopper paintings, right? That's a great sequence. Very creative.

Of course, now I'm doubting myself. Maybe it just sounds like Chet Baker. [​IMG] Here's a link to the sound clip from the Baker version (I doubt if this link will work, but. . . .):

http://hurl.content.loudeye.com/scri...900&cid=600005

If that doesn't work, maybe a link to the album will:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/sear...-2004+13:49:53

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I could be wrong, but I remember watching the Great Zeigfeld and recognizing it. But maybe it wasn't the same version. It was one of those 'aha' moments, that maybe I misprocessed. [​IMG]

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I've never seen the Great Ziegfeld, so the version presented there might be similar. The soundtrack is available, and I was pleased to see that there were sound clips at the All-Music Guide. Unfortunately, the Look For the Silver Lining clip consists of a dialog intro and nothing else. Not real helpful. [​IMG]

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Here's that September video with the chill music:

Link

I keep missing the first couple of seconds but I've found it seems to come on every morning between 2-3am.