What's new

TCM 2022 Big Screen Classics Schedule - in theaters (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here’s the direct fathom page….

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Dr. No is where it all started, so next year in October it better get a good anniversary celebration.

I just saw Dr. No in the theater for the first time last year I think. Or it was early 2021.

Goldfinger was playing in late 2020 too.

Glad to see 2 Connery’s in the theater.

I’m hoping for a few of them to run in 2022.
Thunderball
Diamonds are forever
And any Rogers……

Maybe even that long one with “the other guy”…?

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Nothing from before the 1940s, and the only two from that decade are the most overexposed movies OF that decade. Plus three of the 12 post-date STAR WARS. I'm not saying they should run BLESSED EVENT or TORCHY BLANE IN CHINATOWN, but they're defeating their own purpose by not exposing patrons to anything they haven't seen before. Harrumph, harrumph.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Nothing from before the 1940s, and the only two from that decade are the most overexposed movies OF that decade. Plus three of the 12 post-date STAR WARS. I'm not saying they should run BLESSED EVENT or TORCHY BLANE IN CHINATOWN, but they're defeating their own purpose by not exposing patrons to anything they haven't seen before. Harrumph, harrumph.
I agree 100%. Granted, there are some excellent post-1970 films, but more emphasis should be given to films from the "golden age" of Hollywood. And not just films that have been shown so many times that we can recite the dialog verbatum, anniversary year or not. (Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Singin' in the Rain etc.) Instead of these, how about Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, and Calamity Jane? Since a golden opportunity was missed this year, to show "Frankenstein" and "Dracula" (90th anniversary for both), 2022 is the 90th anniversary for "The Mummy" and "Freaks", great for October. Also, the 80th anniversary of "The Man Who Came to Dinner" for December. And, don't get me wrong, "Baby Jane" is one of my favorite films, but show some lesser seen films. 2022 is the 70th Anniversary of "Sudden Fear" and "The Star" for all the Bette and Joan fans. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Would love to see Laurel and Hardy's Babes In Toyland on the Big Screen - saw it once at the great Lafayette Theater in Suffern NY, also The Bishop's Wife, Scrooge (1951) which was great at the Lafayette too! Easter time would great to see The Robe or King Of Kings (1961) Will for sure go see The Quiet Man!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Anniversaries gets fans to the theaters though, they also usually lead to new restored/remastered DVD and Blu-ray releases as well.
That may be true for some, but I'll watch a movie whether it's its XXX anniversary or its 22nd anniversary, just as long as I want to see it. I just don't care for anniversaries. Show me a movie I want to see; I'll show up.
Your point about restorations and remastered releases is a very good one. However, many films are also restored and released on odd timetables. I prefer that to waiting for an artificial date, such as a 50th anniversary. Maybe I don't have that long...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That may be true for some, but I'll watch a movie whether it's its XXX anniversary or its 22nd anniversary, just as long as I want to see it. I just don't care for anniversaries. Show me a movie I want to see; I'll show up.
Your point about restorations and remastered releases is a very good one. However, many films are also restored and released on odd timetables. I prefer that to waiting for an artificial date, such as a 50th anniversary. Maybe I don't have that long...

It's all about making money, big anniversaries releases normally bring in big $$$$

Does anyone else remember the Benson and Hedges 100 late shows in the '70's? Looking for other ways to put their brand in front of consumers when the feds cracked doen on cigarette advertising, B&H sponsored a late show in major markets around the country of the 100 best films ever made. They hired a film critic to develop the list and even had new prints struck. It only ran one season of 10 films, but a much more inspired list!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[…]I just don't care for anniversaries. Show me a movie I want to see; I'll show up.
And whom exactly are we to be celebrating with? Endless are these anniversaries, and yet not a glass of champagne is to be found in the lobby.

A NOTE to TCM:
It would be all the more enjoyable for each of your patrons if TCM could further commit to these presentations by offering us a normal schedule of 3-4 showings per day, along with a consistent block of booking dates; such as Sunday through Tuesday or Wednesday through Saturday. Wish TCM would try this for just one year.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And whom exactly are we to be celebrating with? Endless are these anniversaries, and yet not a glass of champagne is to be found in the lobby.

A NOTE to TCM:
It would be all the more enjoyable for each of your patrons if TCM could further commit to these presentations by offering us a normal schedule of 3-4 showings per day, along with a consistent block of booking dates; such as Sunday through Tuesday or Wednesday through Saturday. Wish TCM would try this for just one year.
The theater isn't even a quarter full when they show a classic movie twice in an entire week. Playing it 3-4 times a day for a week would be a waste of space.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The theater isn't even a quarter full when they show a classic movie twice in an entire week. Playing it 3-4 times a day for a week would be a waste of space.
I’ll wager that it’s only a quarter full because of the show times currently in place.

AMC is a hands-down winner for providing these classic films. And AMC is to be fully supported. But an extra few options for showtimes might lift a lot of constraints from the average patron. So, just as a short-term experiment, wouldn’t it be nice to test the waters and actually find out?

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’ll wager that it’s only a quarter full because of the show times currently in place.

Going on a riff here, Wayne, but If they were showing “Mr. & Mrs. Clap-Trap Meets Gonzo, Barbie and Ken” presented in 16K at an Ultra U, Me and IMAX with a gazzilion.5 Dolby-Atmos and beyond, these houses would still be only a quarter filled on the same sunny Sunday afternoon or on the drudgery of a Working Wednesday Mid-Week Night. It’s just too darned disjointed, with a suffocating showtime schedule that hardly has the wiggle-room for options.

But seriously, and with certain lampoons aside, AMC is a hands-down winner for providing these classic films. And it’s to be fully supported. But I also feel that since there are enough screens to go around in a multi-plex - plus a DCP that’s already been prepared - that an expanded air-time towards these venues are well deserving of a wider margin for accessibility.

In closing, neither PMF nor Wayne_j has yet to be proven right or wrong within their opinions; but wouldn’t it be nice to test the waters and finally find out?

I loved seeing the empire strikes back and back to the future in theaters a year or so ago. Same with Star Trek the motion picture, Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Im excited about wrath of khan this year (which I saw a few years back at a regal / fathom screening. I can’t wait for more trek reissues.

Im also excited about return of the Jedi at 40 in 2023.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks