What's new

TCM - 15th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

SECONDED!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

This is for those of you who watch TCM (I no longer do, but this is because I stopped subscribing to Cable a little over two years ago. I had seen too many channels, like AMC head south, and I finally decided the value was no longer there.) My biggest fear for all of you is that one day Turner Broadcasting will end up being purchased by someone and the CEO will decide to to the same thing that has befallen many a Cable Channel such as MTV, TV Land, The Learning Channel, The Discovery Channel, need I go on? :frowning:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I just wish they would go HD, which given their huge catalog of films, would probably be difficult. Since getting HDTV it just doesn't look very good. Has anyone heard when and if this might happen?

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
TCM is part of Time Warner so I doubt that they will be sold, but yeah that would suck if they ever changed. They are unique in cable.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love TCM and feel that they are important ally to film lovers everywhere. I've discovered a lot of films by flipping through the channels and landing on TCM. Thanks for posting the article. Loved this quote:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's good news, David. I love TCM and the way they present films. I frequently flip to the channel to see what's on, and love the introductions by Robert Osborne. Even though it's not HD, TCM is still one of the best (if not the best) channels on cable.

We now have a high definition version of AMC available on our basic HD cable service. Their manner of presenting films may be even worse than it is on the standard AMC channel. Every widescreen film I've checked out has been either cropped or stretched (or sometimes both). Even 1.85:1 OAR films seem to be pan&scan copies that are stretched to eliminate the black bars. It's a complete abomination.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
TCM is one of the few reasons I haven't ditched cable.

I also can't wait for the day it goes HD.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There's no doubt that most cable channels have been dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. What's happened to the likes of TVland, A&E, Bravo, Discovery is really a travesty. It's no wonder alot of people are ditching their connections

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for TCM being the best cable channel on TV.

And if anyone is a fan, I just started subscribing to their monthly magazine, with all the listings of what is on for the month. Well worth getting to plan your month around. You can probably find a link from tcm.com

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Agreed. TCM is a class act. You only appreciate it more when you try to watch a movie on just about any other channel, with all their intrusions on the screen promoting other programs, endless commercial breaks, picture cropping, cutting off end credits, etc.

I don't pay for any premium cable channels, but I would pay extra for a TCM-HD where the format stayed the same but everything was in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.