What's new

TCL 4k HDR pass though Receiver/Soundbar? (1 Viewer)

JayAre

Auditioning
Real Name
JR Greger
I have been wanting to add in my Vizio SB4051-C0 to my TCL 55S403 but couldn't get the ARC working and still be able to get 4k HDR passthrough Picture always dropped to HD. I then bought a 4K Receiver (Sony STR-DN840) that is supposed to support 4K Passthrough but for the life of me I cant get it to work on the ARC HDMI 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you trying to use the Vizio sound bar with the receiver? Are you connecting your source to the receiver first (the correct way) or to the TV first (the incorrect way)?

JayAre

Auditioning
Real Name
JR Greger
Receiver to TV then source into one of the hdmi inputs in the receiver. The soundbar is currently disconnected.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This stuff has gotten really complicated. Hopefully someone will come in with more experience with this specific topic. Still, just because the receiver passes 4K doesn't mean it passes HDR, or all types of HDR. I looked up that receiver and it doesn't say anything about being HDCP 2.2 compliant. You also have to be certain you have suitable hdmi cables. You need ones certified high speed. Apparently some that claim they are, actually aren't. These are just possible sources of the problem I'm finding, but I haven't made the move to 4K or HDR myself yet, so I don't know all the many hurdles.

JayAre

Auditioning
Real Name
JR Greger
Interesting I tried swapping cables but no good :( 4K HDR is what I want buit I'm not even getting 4K just HD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The most likely culprit for that are insufficient spec hdmi cables, or ones that are too long.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Something in the chain is not HDCP 2.2 complient as that will cause the player to down res 4K content to 1080p HD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That receiver doesn’t mention being HDCP 2.2, while the newer model does, but it says it is 4K compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks