TCFHE Press Release: That Thing You Do! (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

That Thing You Do!
Written by, directed by and co-starring Tom Hanks, this high-energy comedy about fame and friendship dances on to Blu-ray™ for the very first time. Hanks plays the big-hearted manager of a 1960s pop-rock group called The Wonders that becomes a shooting-star sensation thanks to a delightfully catchy chart-topper called: “That Thing You Do!”
That Thing You Do! Special Features
Tom Hanks Extended Cut Feel Alright Music Video The Wonders! Big In Japan! The Story Of The Wonders Making That Thing You Do!
That Thing You Do! Reunion HBO First Look: The Making Of That Thing You Do!
That Thing You Do! Blu-ray Street Date: April 2, 2013 Prebook Date: March 6, 2013 Screen Format: Widescreen 1.85:1 Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Spanish Surround DD 2.0 French DD 5.1 Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish Total Run Time: 108 Minutes U.S. Rating: PG Closed Captioned: Yes

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's nice to know both cuts will be on the disc, and hopefully in HD with the same seamless branching options as the DVD.
The soundtrack got a lot of play back when my sister was still in pre-school. She really loved that "Lovin' You Lots and Lots" song.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Awesome!

I have been hoping for this for a loooooong time.

I even started a thread asking about the possibility of such a release a while back. I am unable to find it via the new search engine...but found this thread which I had missed when it premiered a few weeks ago.

A truly under-rated film. Very entertaining.

EDIT: That first thread is HERE.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
One of my all-time favorite movies. I'd heard that producer Jonathan Demme assisted in the editing department, and based on how much less I like the "Tom Hanks Extended Cut" (not to mention the train wreck that was Larry Crowne), I'm inclined to believe it.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched this last night; delightful movie. I thought the video quality looked good. I'd never seen the extended cut and was pleasantly surprised it added so much.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Some That Thing You Do updates...

Pertinent to this week's release of La La Land is this revelation (months old now) that director Damien Chazelle was heavly influenced by That Thing You Do.

...explaining one of the reasons Tom Everett Scott was cast in La La Land! :)

============================

And The Wonders reunited this week and played their greatest hit!

A much longer clip of the reunion version is included HERE.

Too bad Steve Zahn didn't make it. Hopefully they'll do another reunion sometime and get some really good video/audio and ge the whole gang together--including Liv Tyler and Tom Hanks. And maybe even Giancarlo Ribisi! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Hopefully they'll do another reunion sometime and get some really good video/audio and ge the whole gang together--including Liv Tyler and Tom Hanks. And maybe even Giancarlo Ribisi! :D
Fans of That Thing You Do!

Several of the cast are having a "watch party" tonight at 7pm ET of what is one of my favorite films. They will be gathering via an online Zoom chat and live-streaming that event on their You Tube channel.

This is all brought about because of the Coronavirus crisis and the recent death of Fountain of Wayne frontman Adam Schlesinger--who wrote the titular song of/for the film. Here's an article giving details on the event.

Should be fun! All the participating cast--and viewers--will be pushing "play" on their copies of the film at the same time and the cast will be talking/commenting all the way through.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I watched this film back in the day in the theater. At the time I thought it was a rather boring take on beatlemania.

Since then, the only thing I really remember about this movie was the soundtrack. A few years ago I found the soundtrack cd in a local dump bin, and bought it on impulse. I thought the soundtrack holds up quite well over the past 20+ years.

Maybe one day I'll buy the bluray if I see it in a local dump bin for $5 or less.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That was was my first impression metaphorically.

Maybe I'll watch it again, when I get around to buying the bluray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
:eek::eek::eek:

Movie really has nothing to do with "Beatlemania". You really should watch it again...
For me, it was more of a take on the many 'One Hit Wonder' bands of that era, hence the group's name.

I also loved the "Oh-Knee-Durrs" (For the early rejected spellings of The Oneders, or The 1Ders, before they finally, and wisely settle on The Wonders.) gag in the film. To this day, I'll sometimes playfully refer to Stevie Wonder as Stevie O'Neder, just for fun! :lol:

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin Jacobson

Mike Frezon

Premium
Fans of That Thing You Do!

Several of the cast are having a "watch party" tonight at 7pm ET of what is one of my favorite films. They will be gathering via an online Zoom chat and live-streaming that event on their You Tube channel.

This is all brought about because of the Coronavirus crisis and the recent death of Fountain of Wayne frontman Adam Schlesinger--who wrote the titular song of/for the film. Here's an article giving details on the event.

Should be fun! All the participating cast--and viewers--will be pushing "play" on their copies of the film at the same time and the cast will be talking/commenting all the way through.
The TTYD Watch Party was tons of fun. Lots of stories from the cast. Besides the four Wonders (Tom Everett Scott, Steve Zahn, Jonathan Schaech and Ethan Embry, we also heard from Colin Hanks, Giovanni Ribisi,and Kevin Pollak. Colin read a message from Tom Hanks. No Charlize Theron. And they took great pains to say Liv Tyler wanted to participate but that she was in the UK and it was in the middle of the night there.

There was just no way I could miss this TTYD event. There were more than 20k people waiting for the event to start (so it said on their YT page). The comments (mostly quotes from the movie) were flying by so fast that it was literally difficult to keep up. So...much...fun. The gang engaged in non-stop talking and showing off cool stuff from the filming. The only time they went quiet was when they were captivated by two scenes from the film: the iconic scene in which the band hears its song on the radio for the first time and the scene at the very end when Guy kisses Faye as the movie is closing.

About that scene in which the band members all heard their song on the radio for the first time (at the same time), each one of the cast said how impactful that scene has been for fans and for themselves the first times they saw it, too!

Fantastic. I hope it becomes available again...but they were fearful of showing too much from the film during the chat for fear of breaking copyright laws and being shut down by YT. So, maybe not.

They were very clear that the audience was to start their own viewing of the movie in their home (the theatrical edition) so as to constitute a legit "watch party." That particular gambit worked very well. My HT was perfectly timed to the one at Tom Everett Scott's house. :D

One of the other observations was about how this is a film which really doesn't have a bad guy in it (although Jonathan Schaech shared a story about how his young son recently watched the film for the first time and was mad at him for the way he treated Faye!). Just a string of positive events held together by a superb cast, catchy music and solid, very quotable writing. It is pretty cool that the band members really seem to enjoy each other's company, stay in contact quite often, and look back so favorable on their time together during the shooting.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For me, it was more of a take on the many 'One Hit Wonder' bands of that era, hence the group's name.
That's exactly what it was, and it was about the joy of the experience - well, until the downfall.

While the Wonders were popular for a bit, they went through nothing really akin to Beatlemania, despite a couple scenes with crazy fans.

It was really Hanks' love letter to a time, place and music - and it's a beautiful little movie.

The scene where the kids hear "TTYD" on the radio is one of the most joyful things I've ever seen - it actually gets me emotional because it so wonderfully encapsulates the excitement and thrill of the experience...

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13