What's new

Press Release TCFHE Press Release: Family Guy Season 16 and The Orville Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Presents Two Brilliant Series From The Mind Of Seth MacFarlane

“Family Guy” Season Sixteen Comes to DVD December 4
“The Orville” The Complete First Season Comes to DVD December 11

Two of Seth MacFarlane’s fan-favorite series arrive on DVD this December from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. “Family Guy” Season Sixteen will be available on December 4, just in time for the series’ 20th Anniversary in January, while the premiere season of “The Orville” will be available on December 11.

“FAMILY GUY” SEASON SIXTEEN
In its 16th season, “Family Guy” continues to entertain its die-hard fans with razor-sharp humor, spot-on parodies, awesome animation and orchestra-backed original music. Guest voices this season include Sir Ian McKellen, Ryan Reynolds, Amanda Seyfried, Sofia Vergara, Julie Bowen, Ty Burrell and Danny Trejo. The season also includes the long-running series’ 300th episode and an Emmy® winning performance from Alex Borstein* for the episode “Nanny Goats.”

*2018: Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance; “Family Guy”

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Extended episode animatic with commentary and deleted scenes
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Street Date: December 4, 2018
Screen Format: Widescreen 1:78:1
Audio: English Dobly Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Total Run Time: Approx. 448 minutes
U.S. Rating: TV-MA

“THE ORVILLE” THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON
From Emmy®* Award-winning executive producer and creator Seth MacFarlane (“Family Guy,” Ted, “Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey”), “The Orville” is a live-action, one-hour space adventure series set 400 years in the future that follows The U.S.S. Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship. Its crew, both human and alien, face the wonders and dangers of outer space, while also dealing with the problems of everyday life. The ensemble series stars MacFarlane as the ship's Captain, Ed Mercer, and Adrianne Palicki (“Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Friday Night Lights”) as his ex-wife, who's assigned as his First Officer. Additional cast members include Penny Johnson Jerald (“24,” “The Larry Sanders Show”), Scott Grimes (“American Dad!,” “Justified”), Peter Macon (“Shameless,” “Bosch”), Halston Sage (Neighbors, Goosebumps), J Lee (“American Dad!,” “The Cleveland Show”), Mark Jackson (“That Royal Today”) and Chad L. Coleman (“The Walking Dead,” “The Wire”).

*2002, 2016, 2017: Outstanding Character Voice-Over Performance; “Family Guy”
2002: Outstanding Music and Lyrics; “Family Guy”

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • “The Orville” at PaleyFest 2018
  • Inside Look
  • Directed By
  • The First Six Missions
  • Designing the Future
  • The Orville” Takes Flight
  • The Science of “The Orville:” Quantum Drive
  • The Science of “The Orville:” Alien Life
  • Crafting Aliens
  • A Better Tomorrow
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Street Date: December 11, 2018
Screen Format: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Total Run Time: Approx. 526 minutes
U.S. Rating: TV-14

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I won’t be buying this. I already copied these from broadcast with my recordable DVD player. A Blu ray would have been a first day purchase. Is “Fox” nuts?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just about every other piece of crap I have ever or never heard of is on Blu ray. — Go through the dump bins at Walmart. Why not just release it on VHS, Laser Disc?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
We take what we can get this late in the home video age, but The Orville really deserves a Blu.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Network TV on blu-ray seems kind of rare these days.

But it seems like The Orville would be a prime candidate, as the few shows still coming out on blu are usually horror/fantasy/sci-fi.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When Disney gobbles up Fox, wonder if they will reconsider the possiblity of releaseing Orville season 1 on bluray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At present time, Disney is not releasing their own shows domestically on Blu-ray... on the other hand, a sci-fi show has better disc sale potential than many other TV genres. Given that Star Trek is generally a good seller on disc, I think it's a baffling decision from Fox.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Did the later seasons of Futurama not sell well? (Don't blame me; I bought them.) That may factor into it. Then again, they did do all of The X-Files and Lost in Space.

Even so, Family Guy has been in HD for a few years now. Why would you buy it in standard-definition when you can watch it in HD for free if you have Hulu?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just saw announcement on my FB news thread.
No Blu-ray for The Orville.

DVD And Digital only.

Digital only I can fathom but offering an obsolete DVD? And you have to buy the DVD to get the digital?

What’s next from Fox? The soundtrack on a Victrola?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately, Fox hasn't been releasing TV shows on Blu-ray for some time now. There is the occasional exception to this rule, but by and large, they're out of the TV-on-BD game. Most other TV studios are doing the same. It's just not selling in that format.

The market for physical media is really drying up, and TV studios are focusing their efforts on digital releases in HD and UHD quality, with DVD-only physical releases for certain titles where that market still exists.

As someone who collects his favorite shows on BD, it's a disappointing result. But I think it's being driven by consumer choices. Ten years ago, if you wanted to watch the latest season of a show and missed it when it first aired, buying a DVD or Blu-ray copy was often the best and sometimes only way to get that content. Nowadays, you can simply stream the program from a variety of legal sources, some of which are even totally free. You can view complete Orville episodes on the Fox website in full HD quality at no cost. If you have Hulu and/or a cable subscription, you can view all of the episodes in full HD quality at no additional cost. If you have a paid subscription service like Netflix or Amazon Prime, it'll show up there eventually. And you can also buy individual episodes on services like iTunes and Vudu for a couple bucks each. With all of the places that you can watch this show online for free or almost free, general audiences no longer have a reason to purchase a physical item (which they may only watch once) when they're able to view it instantly and conveniently for free at the touch of a button.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
DVDs are cheaper to produce than Blu-rays, but the cost differential isn't as much as it was when Blu-ray was brand new.

I think the larger issue is that there is extremely limited consumer demand for these shows on disc in general, and on Blu-ray specifically. Something like this might have only sold a few hundred copies, if that.

Due to an across-the-board reduction in demand for physical media, every single plant for pressed discs in the United States has closed; the only remaining plant is in Mexico. That's pretty eye-opening if you think about it. It means that demand for pressed discs (including DVD, BD, UHD, and CD) has dropped so dramatically that companies who relied on disc manufacturing went out of business. It's possible that they may have scaled back too dramatically too quickly, as the Mexico plant appears overwhelmed and to be suffering from some manufacturing delays. But it never would have gotten to a position where there was only one replication plant left in North America unless demand had dropped that dramatically.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Due to an across-the-board reduction in demand for physical media, every single plant for pressed discs in the United States has closed; the only remaining plant is in Mexico. That's pretty eye-opening if you think about it. It means that demand for pressed discs (including DVD, BD, UHD, and CD) has dropped so dramatically that companies who relied on disc manufacturing went out of business. It's possible that they may have scaled back too dramatically too quickly, as the Mexico plant appears overwhelmed and to be suffering from some manufacturing delays. But it never would have gotten to a position where there was only one replication plant left in North America unless demand had dropped that dramatically.

When did the Technicolor plant in Huntsville, Alabama close?

(IIRC, this was the plant that manufactured Fox and Lionsgate dvd/bluray discs for a long time).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not exactly sure. Perhaps earlier in 2018? At one point, Twilight Time made reference to their manufacturing being shifted to the Mexico plant, and my guess would be that that was the move that they were referring to.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A lot of home video viewers are still DVD only as well. I saw a woman shopping at Walmart for a DVD player yesterday. I almost engaged her, asking why she didn't consider a blu-ray player that would play both DVD and blu-ray, but decided "why bother"?

I've done this a couple times over the years, and the people are just clueless. They don't realize they can play their collected DVD's on a blu-ray player (which will also upscale them if they have an HDTV), and they don't believe you when you tell them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Without getting into politics).

My guess is Technicolor will keep the Huntsville AL plant open for contingency reasons, over the next 2 to 6 years.

After that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Huntsville plant is eventually closed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvin christ