TCFHE Press Release: Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blu-ray Features: said:
Disc 1: Notorious Blu-ray Disc 2: Rebecca Blu-ray Disc 3: Spellbound Blu-ray
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection Blu-ray Street Date: March 12, 2013 Prebook Date: January 30, 2013 Screen Format: Full Screen 1.33:1 Audio: English Mono DTS-HD MA Subtitles: English SDH U.S. Rating: NR (Not Rated) Total Run Time: 351 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
These have been available as singles for quite a while, but if anyone is on the fence/ hasn't purchased them yet, I can't recommend them highly enough. I've been up in Nashville for the belcourt theater's Alfred Hitchcock retrospective, and have (finally) had the opportunity to see many of Hitch's films (including these) projected in 35mm, and I've obviously been comparing them to what I'm used to seeing from Blu-Rays on my own modest home projection system, and let me tell you -- these three discs just nail the way these movies look when projected from film. I was astounded at what good digital representations they were. The rest of the films I've seen have been pretty far afield (in one direction or another) of their home video counterparts. Suspicion obviously looks much better in 35mm than from the Warner DVD (I hope they revisit this title in High Def). I also got to see 35mm prints (not true VistaVision disappointingly and unsurprisingly) of To Catch A Thief and North By Northwest. Seeing To Catch A Thief on film left me disappointed with the Blu-Ray, the film had a wonderful sunlit warmth in the outdoor photography that the Blu-Ray sadly fails to reproduce -- it's hard to describe, the colors just seemed to sing in a way that left the look of the Blu-Ray cold and sterile by comparison. On the other hand, the Warner Blu-Ray of North By Northwest was far superior to the print I got to see, which seemed to have way too much of an inky-blue look. Cary Grant's gray suit was a deep baby blue through most of the film, and the detail in the Blu left this print in the dust. But the experience of seeing these three Selznick pictures was remarkably consistent with what I'm used to from the disc.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
While I appreciate the reissue I also wonder why not release the other titles that MGM/FOX owns along with these and make a proper box set? Where's The Paradine Case, Lifeboat, Sabotage, Young and Innocent and The Lodger? These were part of the Premiere collection DVD set from a few years ago.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
While I'm satisfied with the MOC Blu-Ray of Lifeboat, it would be nice to get an upgrade of the rest of those.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Whenever I see news of this repackaging, it gets my hopes up that MGM/Fox is releasing the remaining titles they have the rights to. Still waiting for Warners to release the rest of their titles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ray H said:
Still waiting for Warners to release the rest of their titles.
I'm hoping they release them this fall. From a business standpoint, I certainly understand Warners not releasing another Hitchcock box set last year since it would have been very tough to compete with the titles in Universal's set.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yes, I have The Lodger and Lifeboat, which are both stellar, but Region B locked. I was speaking for the U.S. fans here. Hopefully, Warner Brothers will see fit to release a box set since it's the 90th anniversary year. They have released a 3 film box in Europe with the 3 titles we have now, just in a box. That would be pretty pointless here unless they include all the titles they released in their popular DVD collection.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't bought these yet since I'm hoping for a better boxset as mentioned above. Seeing as singles these are regularly priced around $10 each there's a chance this boxset will hit a sale that will make these dirt cheap. If so I may bite.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777