1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release TCFHE Press Release: A Hidden Life (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

“A SHATTERINGLY POWERFUL STORY OF FAITH IN CRISIS”
    – DAVID EHRLICH, INDIEWIRE

[​IMG]
    Terrence Malick’s A Hidden Life Comes to Digital March 3
    and Blu-rayTM & DVD March 17

A HIDDEN LIFE

From visionary writer-director Terrence Malick comes this timeless story based on real events about an unsung hero, Franz Jägerstätter (played by August Diehl), who refused to fight for the Nazis during World War II. Drawing from actual letters exchanged between the Austrian farmer and his wife Fani (Valerie Pachner) while Franz was in prison, the film follows the family’s remarkable journey of love and sacrifice. After being absent from his wife and daughters for months during mandatory basic training with the German Army, Franz is permitted to return to his peaceful Austrian countryside home. But when the war unexpectedly escalates, Franz is called up to fight, and as a new soldier, to swear an oath of allegiance to Hitler and the Third Reich. Yet, despite pleas from his neighbors, fellow soldiers and even trusted clergymen, Franz repeatedly refuses to take the oath. This decision lands the peasant farmer in prison, where he awaits trial for treason. Meanwhile, not only must Fani take care of the family’s farm and their three daughters, she is ostracized by neighbors who have succumbed to the Third Reich’s demands for loyalty. Eventually, Franz’s case goes to trial. He is found guilty and sentenced to death. But his unwavering beliefs and love for Fani and their three children keep his spirit alive in this powerful drama.

Add A HIDDEN LIFE to your digital collection on Movies Anywhere March 3 and on Blu-rayTM and DVD on March 17.

A HIDDEN LIFE Blu-rayTM Specifications
    Street Date: March 17, 2020
    Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9
    Audio: English DTS-HD MA 7.1, English AD DD 5.1, Spanish DD 5.1
    Subtitles: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Spanish
    Total Run Time: 174 Minutes
    Rating: PG-13

A HIDDEN LIFE DVD Specifications
    Street Date: March 17, 2020
    Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9
    Audio: English DD 5.1, English AD DD 5.1, Spanish DD 2.0 Stereo
    Subtitles: English for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Spanish
    Total Run Time: 174 Minutes
    Rating: PG-13

2. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Any bets as to Criterion releasing this down the line? They've released every one of Terrence Malick's oeuvre, up to The Tree Of Life. Like Wes Anderson - pretty much everything he makes comes out eventually in the Criterion Collection. I'm still waiting for Isle Of Dogs, though.

3. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Wow this was fast. I remember reading about this film at the end of October and watching the trailer. I think it was supposed to be out in January but never saw it listed, advertised or any reviews. Was it even released theatrically?

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Yes, it was released, and I saw it. A very Malick film. Visually beautiful, elliptical, engrossing, and haunting. A story of a man with a conscience who can not live in a world ruled by a man and a government devoid of morality. A story with obvious parallels...

Mark VH and TravisR like this.
  5. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

It played in my market (Raleigh, NC) for a hot second - one week at one local AMC and two weeks at one of the local art-house theaters and that was it. My understanding was that once Jojo Rabbit took off, Searchlight determined that that was the film they were going to push for the Oscar and that essentially caused them to nix the broader theatrical expansion for A Hidden Life, which is a shame, because it's a tremendous film.

I'd absolutely bet on Criterion releasing it at some point but I'll probably buy this because I don't want to wait that long. I'll add that it's a crying shame this isn't getting a simultaneous UHD release, because anything Malick practically screams for 4K.

bujaki likes this.
  6. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

It was reviewed quite favorably across most outlets, currently sitting at 80% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (not that such things matter). Most critics called it a "return to form" for Malick, a lazy and reductive description if there ever was one.

Matt Zoller Seitz wrote my favorite review of the film, and one of my favorite of his reviews ever: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-hidden-life-movie-review-2019.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  7. mcash007

mcash007 Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    I sure hope there is a 4K release, this movie was a better Malick as compared to some of his more recent films.

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    This didn't play in theaters near me so I've been waiting for this. Shame there's no 4K release. Maybe digital or an international release?

9. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    You definitely need to check out Tim Brayton's ecstatic review:

https://www.alternateending.com/2019/12/a-hidden-life-2019.html

10. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

It sucks that there isn't a 4k release

11. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

Wonderful review, hadn't read that one. I'm particularly in agreement that Malick didn't need a "return to form" after his last few pictures (which were exactly the movies he wanted to make). Thanks for sharing.