TC Sounds

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Craig Chase, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Does anyone know where TC sounds builds their drivers now ? I have asked this on a couple of threads, with no answer. I checked out my PB10-ISD's driver yesterday, and there are no markings on it. I also e-mailed TC sounds, but did not get an answer.

Regardless of the locale of TC sounds, I like the PB10 a lot ... especially for $429 ... it is holding down the fort admirably in our 5700^3 foot theater room while waiting for a Velodyne DD-18 to show up... [​IMG]

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

this was taken right off their website
    Our secret is as simple as selling to you direct from our manufacturing parter plant in San Diego, California.

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Hi Craig,
    I have mine sitting right next to a PCU and it fooled me. I thought I was using the PCU and was really enjoying blue man group dvd-a. It was when I went to turn off the PCU it was the PB10 blasting out the bass.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Is that from TC Sounds site? Can you link the page?

5. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

For large orders going to OEM's, they are now made over seas.

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Craig,

For someone that doesn't really care you've now asked this in two forums, and last I checked you are still working on your own brand to compete with us?

Much as I appreciate your kind words about the PB10-ISD (I fully expect it to smash the DD-18 of course ;^) you can understand I hope if we demur on that point.

See AVS for additional explanation without saying much specific.

There are T/S parameters... and there is everything else about how a woofer shows up on the shop floor.

The latter is as important as the former.

But you either already know this, or will find out as your brand is developed.

Ron

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Ron, You might want to lighten up a bit here. I have been taken to task for telling people that TC Sounds is located in California. I asked the question on AVS, and got no response, so I asked again here.

And, for clarification, I am not working on starting my own speaker company. I HAVE offered to assist my brother and his partner (Their names are Richard and Tony) in expanding their pro-audio company into the consumer market.

The first time I mentioned this was in February, 2004, so it is not like I am hiding anything. I may or may not be involved financially, but I certainly do not have the time to become a full time audio guy. If they want/need some help, I will be there.

9. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Regardless of what Craig is doing with his audio business if he even has one, what difference does it actually make in this case?

Without regards to specifications, I see nothing wrong with disclosing the country of manufacture for the drivers. Ofcourse, if it conflicts with the a marketing message, I can see why a company wouldn't want it disclosed.

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Curtis,

Well in your course of providing product or marketing advice to Dr. Hsu ... or running your own audio company someday... you certainly can play with what you see to disclose any way you like. I can't think of a way to make the above easier for you to understand. Of course you would see nothing wrong with SVS revealing any/all details about a raging success like the PB10-ISD. Even if it's just idle curiosity about us that's driving your latest desire to know more.

That's fine, we're good with all that. But again I hope you can understand if we spend time protecting our operational information. When we were doing 10 subs a week we never imagined anyone really cared. Now it's pretty clear lots of people would like to know LOTS more about us. And I don't mean your favorite brands either.

Our business model is somewhat unique, our success has certainly been unique, and our parts are often too. Someone wanting to know more for many reasons isn't hard to imagine.

Craig,

Sorry, I was trying to be as light as I can be and can only apologize for not being clear on your plans for helping launch competitors to SVS. I read the below and you might understand how I came to the conclusion that revealing much about how we operate for folks like yourself would prove counter-productive for us. Maybe the situation changed then and I just wasn't aware (it wouldn't be the first thing). I know you didn't end up going to CES but I thought the rest was still "on".

Anyway, if you are just curious as an enthusiast about the PB10-ISD's details, then again there's not much I can say here since you and Curtis Chang are not the only ones reading this forum over.

In my own Intelligence days in the Army the one thing consistently pounded into our heads is that the enemy actually got most of their best information about US (as in United States) through "open sources". I.E. NOT cloak and dagger James Bond stuff, and not billion dollar satellites. It came from books, magazines, speeches and even the Internet. I think SVS has been more forthcoming about our operations than any OEM on the market, but indeed you will see us keeping sources and methods a bit more private in the future. When we hear about "HO" subs and "PB10-ISD" competitor threads popping up, well, color us cautious.

Again, sorry for reading more into your question than I should have. I hadn't seen anything more recent than the below and clearly just jumped to conclusions. I'll bail from this now and just get back to e-mail where I belong! :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...28#post4565628

Originally posted by craigsub AVS:

This is my last review - I am working on getting our speaker line organized. I can tell you we are going to go after the high value lines, and will be looking at extreme quality for the dollar. We will be at CES this year...

craigsub
    Sub-Lunatic

A Fair Question ...

Good Morning, Harry. Starting with the Maestro review... I forwarded the entire review to a couple people, in an effort to have all the graphs and the review text in one format. Unfortunately, I am not quite computer Savvy enough to do all this myself. I DO have a very nice offer from a gent to host the review in an area on his own website that he set up for me.

I hopefully will have the review, in its entirety, available in the next couple of days. I finished it two weeks ago today...

As for this speaker company... It will not be involved in anyway with ACI, though that won't lessen my respect for Mike's products.

This company will be one I own 100% ... the basic concept will be ultra-high value, as in bang for the buck.

There will be more to come in the next 90 days, and my reason for announcing so soon was to avoid some of the usual comments which surround these types of ventures. In other words, I do not want a situation where someone starts screaming "You have been marketing here" ...

craigsub

11. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Ron I think is just having a off morning. [​IMG]
    Craig why not just give Thilo a call?

12. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I don't think I have ever seen my name and Craig's name in the same sentence before. [​IMG]

Ron....you happily state "Made in the USA" over and over. What is the difference in that and stating where the drivers are made?

I would love to work in audio one day...but unfortunately, where I am with my career today, and my family's needs, it is not possible. Do I give my opinions to Hsu...certainly, just as I have to you.......it is a fun hobby, and envy you and those that have it as a career.

13. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru

Craig
    Ron ... No apologies ... "We", in the context of the quote, refers to family. And, in fact, we were NOT at CES this year. Tony and Richard went to the big pro-audio meet in California instead... and are due home tomorrow.

And even IF they do a consumer line, I won't be deluding myself that their product will be the only quality subwoofer/speaker line around.

As for my curiosity, I have exchanged several e-mails and PM's with people about the various SVS subwoofers I have owned over the past few years... the latest being the PB10-ISD ... and when I was rather adamant in stating the TC Sounds stuff was built here, I was taken to task.

SO ... rather than having all this undercurrent, I thought it better to just ask openly.

And ... as the owner of several Av123 products, PLUS Sherwood, Denon, Emotiva, Harmon Kardon, and Pioneer electronics, I will be the LAST person to "look down my nose" at a product built overseas.

At least my Corvette makes me feel a BIT more patriotic. [​IMG]

14. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I don't think there is anything wrong with Ron or TC wanting to keep this to themselves. I believe all the truth in advertising laws require is that to claim "made in America", final assembly has to happen in the US. OEM deals can get very complicated so people should tread lightly when asking both suppliers and consumer companies to divulge information pertaining to an OEM component.

15. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Craig,

Thanks for that update, I honestly didn't know that, only what I had read most recently.

Jerry,

Well all was good till I accidentally was reaching for my Curtis Chang voodoo doll and closed Outlook instead. Closed with it 20 minimized notes I had to work on (BTW does ANYONE have an accessory/patch/aplet that prevents this??).

Brian,

It has been dynamic and we've tried very hard to be VERY public about the origin of things in many cases like our Canadian (that's non-US, North American for those challenged with maps like me) amps on all powered subs.

Some subs like a CS-Ultra are about 98% US content by value, others are less (that's the highest). I hope we can be more specific about content right down to the exact percentage (not that I expect we'll ever say "this is built here, that is built there etc, way too much helpful info). We've got some deals in the works to actually build parts in the US, even our own factory that were outsourced for a while. Hell in some cases we have had two parts literally coming from two continents at the same time. It's simply impossible to be totally forthcoming all the time about every part.

There are some foreign and domestic components in all SVS's. And as I've alluded to we're actively working to make even more here, not that anyone cares. As I've also said elsewhere, SOME parts (woofer magnets) you can't get here unless you want to start smelting the iron yourself.

If we were just importing turn-key stuff it'd be simple, we'd just say "Made in China" or whatever. Because we're assembling every sub here (so far) it's infinitely more complicated. We think "of foreign and domestic components" caveat makes it clear we're NOT smelting iron ore to compete with the Chinese however. We're putting that caveat where it's likely to help people understand the iron ore mine never existed at SVS.

Curtis Chang is right in that we need to tell the story of our valued imported suppliers. We're proud of those that have lined up to help replace vendors that have stopped supplying us like our long-time wood cabinet vendor who closed his doors recently. The press release about SAC was part of that. Our long time focus on Indigo (in Toronto) was another.

In some cases we are worried about competitive advantage in a design and clearly opt not to be specific about where something is built. (We take heat often for not publicizing T/S parameters on our woofers too and view this sort of info in the same light.)

Add to that the fact that a part can be built in more than one place and you get even more reason to simply not say in some cases where something comes from. Especially when what you say today might not be true tomorrow, as is the case in some key areas of our component supply.

Ron

16. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

OK....now that was funny!!

17. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Curtis,

I suppose it would be, if I had been joking.

Now, who's got a aplet that keeps an idiot like me from clicking on the wrong "X" in one of 37 windows open on a screen ... and not getting so much as a "by your leave" when Outlook proceeds to close every note you had open/minimized from the day??

I suppose I should be grateful Outlook askes if you want to save notes half written ... as it then closes those notes too and dump them to "drafts". I swear this has to be the biggest PITA in any Windows OS I've ever dealt with.

Where's Stacey Spears from Microsoft when you need him? ;^)

Sorry for the OT rant, some day I'm gonna give Bill Gates a piece of my mind (if I can find him... and my mind 8^).

Ron

18. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Hey....as far as Microsoft is concerned, we are in the same boat.....and I okay A LOT of money to be paid to them every year, in fact my enterprise licensing invoice is staring at me right now.

Send Gates a sub....maybe you can get some personal attention.

Those Mac Minis are looking really nice right now!

19. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

I love my PB10-ISD! Another rain day here in socal, gives me a chance to call in and sample my 4.6GB DVD with MP3's on it, yeah lots of em, playing on my Toshiba DVD player, linked to my Onkyo receiver, neo music surround setting, and playing through my towers and surrounds, and of course the lovely PB10. I can only scratch the surface of volume of songs on the DVD when I'm in the mood. Today I heard: eminem "just lose it", amazing bass! and some Madonna, yes Madonna! "Take a Bow", surprisingly very deep hearing it for the first time with PB10 (as everything is the first time with the PB!) They really engineered some tremendous bass in Take a Bow, then I play some Michael McDonald Motown, nice bass, strong and live. Then I played some cuts from the soundtrack from "Kill Bill 2" WOW! Digital bass, very deep, and dramatic, frightening. I wrapped it up with Johnny Cash "I've Been Everywhere", bass I never knew was on the track, deep bass, and when Johnny sang the last verse "I been everywhere" he hit so low with his voice, I think it went to the PB10! To sum up: Everything is new with the PB10, you get to hear another notch lower on things your very familiar with, and it makes it fun to go through a library a pick stuff out, and I could listen all day, but got to give the neighbors long breaks of quiet when I can! [​IMG] I'll be posting my tuneup/rebuild of my Onkyo Sub, I achieved amazing results, and fully believe it is the finest, lowest 8" sub there is. Peace. -Morgan

20. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Hey Morgan,

What did you use for the rebuild on your 8" sub? Was it perhaps a TC Sounds woofer? I bought an 8" sub off of an HTF member. It was made for Eclipse by TC Sounds and the bass that it puts out is truly remarkable for an 8. It looks just like a mini SVS Ultra driver. Let me know how your rebuild turned out.