What's new

TB diy project... (1 Viewer)

Andrew.Meyer

Auditioning
Hey everybody. I was thinking of making some front cabinets for my future HT system, and planned on using Tang Band speakers. I heard that some people here use them, so I thought I'd ask around. I was planning on using dual 3" (W3-593s) for mids, and then a single 8" (W8-740C) for the low end on them. I'd cross the mid and woofer at about 300 Hz, and then have the mid run up to around 5kHz, and have an undecided tweeter from there. What do you guys think of this setup? Would the 3"s give me enough on their low end, or should I step it up to a larger cone size? Thanks for the help...

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure that you have to bother with a 3 way. The FR on the W3-871S is enough that you can easily cross in a small woofer for an inexpensive two-way.

Andrew.Meyer

Auditioning
Oh wow...I can't believe I missed that one. I swear I must have looked at every other speaker's FR plot except that one. Hmm, so if I were to just use this W3-871s, along with say the 8" (W8-740C)....I'd have a pretty nice setup? I kinda wanna stick with that 8", I hear it has amazing output and quality, especially at such a low price. Thanks for pointing that 3" out Tim, I really appreciate it.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Have fun! It's pretty easy to blend in woofer with a driver like the 871. You can let it roll off naturally or use a small cap to roll off a little sooner. I suppose it might be easier to work with the woofer if the 871 is rolled off higher. Those big inductors can be a pain. I've never tried it but it seems like a great concept.
Good luck.

Andrew.Meyer

Auditioning
Hmm...I have this little Excel sheet program that tells the C1, L1, C2, L2 values for a crossover given crossover point, high end impedence, and low end impedence. Then does all the calculations and spits them out. Now it lists a bunch of crossover types, such as Linkwitz-Riley, Butterworth, Bessel, and Variable Q. All second order, cause I think that is all I need. Now what would be the best to go with? It seems Linkwitz has the lowest values for each, so it'd prolly cost the least :)

Linkwitz says:
C1 - 49.73 uF C2 - 99.46
L1 - 12.73 mH L2 - 6.37

So where are some good places to get those?
And also, humor me, but the C1 and C2 are capacitors, and the L1 and L2 are inductors, correct? Thanks...

Andrew.Meyer

Auditioning
Wait, I have to get two of each? The little schematic given only shows one of each. It shows C1 being inline with the negative on the tweeter, and then L1 connecting the pos and negative for the tweeter. And the L2 is inline with the woofer's positive, and C2 connects the pos and neg of the woofer. So you're saying I'd actually need two of each to go with each crossover? Or did you mean two of each, cause there will be two crossovers (one for left, one for right cabinet)....Little confused :frowning:

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Looking at your numbers I was assuming you're comparing components for either a simple first order (1 cap, 1 inductor) or a second order Linkwitz (2 caps, 2 inductors).

Andrew.Meyer

Auditioning
Oh, yea...I'm doing a simple second order Linkwitz. But for the left tower, I only need one cap for the C1 and one cap C2 value I listed, and only one inductor for the L1 and only one inductor for the L2 value, correct? I think I got it now, so thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.