TB 871s Mini-Rays

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ken Cline, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Ken Cline

Ken Cline Stunt Coordinator

Just finished 2 of the 3 mini line arrays. These will be mainly for HT use. I know 4 drivers don't really consitute a "line array", but space is a concern and I didn't want to fork out more $$$ for more drivers (although I got these for $8.50 each when Nuera was having a sale). I also realize that there are problems with only 4 drivers (phase cancelation and what not, per Jim Griffin's white paper).

Right now, I'm running them straight without a notch filter. I think they do need one though. The midrange is a little too forward for my taste. But other than that they sound rather nice. It would be nice to measure these, but I don't have the equipment.

Here are some pictures http://photos.yahoo.com/ken_cline

-Ken

2. Ken Cline

Just finished 2 of the 3 mini line arrays. These will be mainly for HT use. I know 4 drivers don't really consitute a "line array", but space is a concern and I didn't want to fork out more $$$ for more drivers (although I got these for $8.50 each when Nuera was having a sale). I also realize that there are problems with only 4 drivers (phase cancelation and what not, per Jim Griffin's white paper).

Right now, I'm running them straight without a notch filter. I think they do need one though. The midrange is a little too forward for my taste. But other than that they sound rather nice. It would be nice to measure these, but I don't have the equipment.

Here are some pictures http://photos.yahoo.com/ken_cline

-Ken

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Nice speakers[​IMG] I find the 871 a little bright as well but they sound great overall. I like the Audax speakers aswell, nice baffle.

4. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Nice speakers[​IMG] I find the 871 a little bright as well but they sound great overall. I like the Audax speakers aswell, nice baffle.

5. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

wow! those look awesome!

6. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

wow! those look awesome!

7. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Awesome job on the cabinetry![​IMG]
    How did you get such a fine finish?

How do the audax sound? Do they hold their own for bass extension? Is that their surround speaker design?

8. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Awesome job on the cabinetry![​IMG]
    How did you get such a fine finish?

How do the audax sound? Do they hold their own for bass extension? Is that their surround speaker design?

9. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Ken looks great good job.

Al

10. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Ken looks great good job.

Al

11. Ken Cline

Thanks guys

They sound OK. Yes, these are the Audax surrounds. I modified the cabinet (ported) to get better bass extension. It uses the stock Audax crossover.

-Ken

12. Ken Cline

Thanks guys

They sound OK. Yes, these are the Audax surrounds. I modified the cabinet (ported) to get better bass extension. It uses the stock Audax crossover.

-Ken