What's new

TB 6.5" Subwoofer - By The Way... (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I can't run passive programs on this Web pile. Have to go to a friends...

Shawn did you try Dual TB's and Dual 8"-PR's, assuming they will handel the weighting which I belive they should.

Or would the (mini sub) be just to big for your likeing?
Still very small compared to whats usually built around here...

Didn't even know PE had the smaller size shorter throw 8, 10", PR's till Jacks post, just the long throw 22mm 12" and the XLS PR's... Hummm

Edit: Yes twice the throw in the same size would be nice and 4 times would have the PR's lasting a life time..No stress at all I would think at 4 times the throw and more SD to begin with.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I'm just tossing out ideas for future projects. Most likely a couple of car installs;) Dual PR's can't handle the weight on the 8inch. If 10 inches is the minimum that means at leat one side will have to minium 11inches wide or deep. I wouldn't mind making the box 8.5wx8.5hx12d. but I may have to do a little mor planning. I have plently of 12's laying around('bout 5) but a couple of 6.5" would be nice just for that "wheres that bass coming from" feeling:D

EDIT I just saw the pr's from dayton specifically the 8" can hold 400grams. Gonna do some more play'n later

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Looks to me like 2 of the 8" PR's is just barely enough for this woofer. I'm looking at 0.8ft^3 tuned to about 31Hz (80 grams added to the PR's). I wouldn't bother tuning any lower since it rolls off pretty far already: -3dB at about 35Hz. The PR's run out of excursion at about 32Hz with 120 watts.

Here's something interesting:
If I model a similar alignment for the 10" Quatro I can get the magnitude response virtually identical like this:
Use 2 of the 12" PR's in 1.5ft^3 tuned to about 31.5Hz (250 grams added to the PR's). The response curve is so close its hard to believe ... except that with 150 watts the Quatro is 6dB louder across the board than the TB with 120 watts. And you won't be pushing those 12" PR's past their limits.

Moral of the story:
If you're looking for a tiny, tiny sub then the TB + 2 8" PR's may be the way to go. But if you're thinking of using multiple TB's ... think again. The 10" Quatro will give you identical performance to a pair of TB's in the same box size while using less power and costing less.

2 TB's = $83
4 8" PR's = $56 or 2 12" PR's = $48

1 Quatro = $65
2 12" PR's = $48

BTW, isn't it normally recommended to use passive radiators in pairs so that they can be mounted opposite each other to cancel forces? That's certainly the way I'd go.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Rule of thumb is double the active Vd, best spread over two opposite-mounted PRs...as Ryan mentions.

RichardHOS

Second Unit
Why use the 6.5" TB sub when the 8" model has more stoke, significantly higher displacement, a stronger motor, and is cheaper??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks