TB 6.5" Subwoofer - By The Way...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rory Buszka, May 11, 2004.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

2. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

is this unit the XBL^2 unit?? IE the extremis variety for TG?

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Wow, very cool.

If I had woodworking skills, I would love to make a micro sub and see what happens.

I like the idea for a sonotube - imagine building a few of those into architectural colums in a house!!!

4. RobLJ

RobLJ Stunt Coordinator

I wonder what 4 of those would sound like in one cube. I'm about to start a sub project. It's kind of tempting.

5. Mitch N

Mitch N Stunt Coordinator

Thats an awesome looking woofer! It makes me wonder what I could build with that.. Granted it would never be in a HT setup, but for perhaps a book shelf system or perhaps even for a computer, I think it could be perfect.

Or then again perhaps a 3-way with a couple on each channel could make for an interesting tower speaker. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

7. Mitch N

Does anyone want ot post up some different models of this using different enclosures? Sealed, ported for lowest freq, ported for high output, IB...

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    wow thats cool, theni can just get the sonotubes at Home Depot (largest they have is 12") and build myself a mini-sub for a bedroom system or somethin

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Damn

I waited and waited for these things to come in some where, The now defuct Nuera as I understand, and then PE mentioned a month plus back that they where going to carry them.

I finally could not wait any longer and started a small box sub using a ED KX.22 10". Still not finished, got a bad CV-300 amp and waiting for it's replacement.
    I'm still pissed that these are now in! [​IMG]

The TB 6.5" plan was a dual Isobaric push pull using 4 of the TB 6.5"-drivers. Some where I have the sim sheet and it looked mighty good. Would have had people saying, that bass is coming out of that little thing!

Argggg...

I may still do something with some of them, have to calm my ass down first...!
    As soon as the very kind and always on top of things "Rory B" posted this, my blood started to boil!!!

They seem to work well in all sorts of designs, go play with some programs and check'em out, especially using multipuls of them..

Edit: Also did a box with 4 of them in just a push pull set up, simalar to the B-4 SVS look..

Oh vell, life goes on..![​IMG]

10. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

11. Mitch N

The only problem I see with this driver is the extremely long port lengths required for it to go low. It may require an extremely complex slotted port design which would have to zig zag within the box to reach the required length.

What about a TL enclosure for this? I don't have access to model that, do any of you? A piece of PVC pipe or sonotube would work in this case.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

That why I mentioned using multipuls of them in the same encloser. Of course you could PR them, but reg porting can fit if you find the right number to use and can get the ohm load wired correctly.

Using 4 in a push pull gets you up aroud or over 1-cube with out subtracting for drivers or ports. Might as well go EBS and add another 30 to 50% and tune it lower. I'm trying to remember off the top of my head so these may be off a bit.

But no question something pretty interesting could be built.

And the TL, yes why not....

13. Bob Reimer

Bob Reimer Agent

Neither Tangband nor PE have licensed XBL^2 as far as I know.

Bob

14. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

Has anyone come up with a good car sub with this? perhaps two in a seal enclosure [​IMG]

15. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

16. kai m

kai m Auditioning

Hoffman's iron law still rules. However horn loading presents possibilities....

17. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Sorry if this is off the topic, but what exactly is a passive radiator for? I understand the concept I think, use energy from another speaker's movement to supply its own movement? I have seen these speakers come up the last few days (this thread and the new GR sub thread) not understanding them.

18. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Anyone run any sims yet. Ported would be excellent but the box is just too small. Sealed just doesn't have the bass response for HT listening.. fine for near field listening. Now I simulated parts express 8" passive but it just simply wouldn't work. I really wouldn't want to use 10" or larger passive... it would make using a smalldriver/cabinet redundant. Anyone know a decent 8" pr? I figure about 17L tuned to about 28hz. Nice response at 100db across the board with a box no larger than a 1/2 cube Just would like to keep it small as possible. Now if one were to integrate this into a tower/bookshelf it could work with port.

19. kai m

kai m Auditioning

I think you need min 4x excursion of the driver, for a passive radiator. Wild guess is that it would need need at least a 30 mm peak to peak PR in an 8"