Taylor/ Burton Boxset

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just checked out the new Taylor/Burton Boxset. The transfers look terrific!
There is an amazing Sandy Dennis screen test that was shot in 2.35:1 which makes me wonder whether "Virginia Woolf" was originally going to be shot in "scope".
I always thought that "The Comedians" was in stereo and although the slim box cover says mono, there seems to be some marginal separation of sound.
Too bad that Warners did not go with the original artwork for 'Virginia Woolf" and "The Sandpiper" DVD covers.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I'm so pleased that The VIPs is finally getting a release. Shame it doesn't have as many extras as some of the other films....

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Is Woolf packaged in a regular 2-disc keepcase or in two separate slimcases a la Maltese Falcon ? I will be buying this title separately and was hoping it would be in a regular keepcase.

-D

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The Virginia Woolf? cover is based on a theatrical poster. I'm sure that The Sandpiper is too. Although they had much better choices.

These would have been better choices, in my opinion:

But whatever the cover art, I'm glad to hear that the transfers are really good. I have my set pre-ordered from Amazon and can't wait to watch it in the next few days -- especially Virginia Woolf? I film I haven't seen in its entirety in years!

Andy

http://www.DameElizabethTaylor.com

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Is Virginia Woolf video remastered since the 1st release?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The new VIRGINIA WOOLF master is gorgeous. A huge improvement from the early launch-DVD.
The extra features are very good, but most impressive is the commentary by Mike Nichols....
I found this to be one of the best discs of the year, yet no one in the press seemed to review it, or even care! A true shame. Magnificent film given the A+ Warner treatment.

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

There IS! I noticed it when watching a bit of it with headphones on. Music is mono, but the dialog pans slightly to match where the speaker is onscreen.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
THE COMEDIANS DVD is definitely Stereo. It is a very modest stereo mix, and it sounds very similar to the stereo mix on the VHS tape I have.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Are these titles available separately? I'm not interested in COMEDIANS or SANDPIPER, but would love to have VIP'S and WOOLF?

Not to digress but, what's the story with all these "collections"? Are individual titles not available separately anymore? (I haven't bought any DVD's in a while and suddenly all the classics I want seem to only come as part of collections!)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
How cool to run into fans of The V.I.P.s (1963)...which BTW I've always thought was a big influence on Airport (1970).

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Only VIRGINIA WOOLF? was released outside of this set. I too was surprised at the lack of attention this set received. How disappointing. I hope this doesn't stop Warners from releasing more Taylor sets, especially with her glossy MGM films of the 40's and 50's.

Andy

http://www.DameElizabethTaylor.com

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike