Taxi: The Complete Second Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Keith I, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Paramount has released the 2nd Season's 24 episodes on four discs (as compared to Season's 1 22 eps on three discs) for the same retail price as Season 1. (I wonder if there was the dreaded music replacement. Sheesh, now everytime there's a good price, we'll wonder if that's an issue.)

The quality of the video is pretty good, with the usual imperfections that come with older shows. The Dolby Digital Mono sound is decent and clear enough that I don't have to constantly adjust the volume. The opening credits are the worst in terms of video quality. Trivia: That's Tony Danza driving the cab in the opening credits.

Christopher Lloyd appears in the 3rd episode but doesn't get his name into the opening credits (or appears in an episode) until the 10th episode. I noticed from epguides.com and TV Tome that the production order is different from the airdate order. However, the productions numbers still don't make sense to coincide with Reverend Jim's employment at Sunshine Cab. Nor does Louis make any mention of, "How did this guy get a job here? I don't remember hiring him!" He's just there all of a sudden. You'll also notice that the candy machine from Episode 1 disappears and reappears, alternating with the coffee machine. Anyway, nitpicking aside...

The lone "extra" is a bunch of skippable previews for other Paramount TV on DVD shows (Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy) on Disc 1. These previews can be viewed from Disc 1's Main Menu as well.

The discs' art is really nice, showing a cab on the bridge like in the credits. The clear slimline cases show the episode names and photographs from the show on the back side of the covers. Be careful when handling the slimcases because it seems the plastic holding the cover is cheaply made since they rip off quite easily.

One annoyance is that the security "chiklet" is glued to the inside of the outer slipcase (opens on the side) so the cases aren't quite level. I'm not going to attempt to remove it for fear of tearing the cardboard slipcase.

Another curiosity: I could not find anywhere in this set (or Season 1's) the proof of purchase coupons/tabs for the rebate. My wife, who is good at finding things (and things I lose), could not find them either. Does anyone else have missing PoPs, too?

This is a consistently funny show that doesn't dumb down its humor for the sake of humor. Bring on the next three seasons!
    -

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Yes, Taxi season 2 looks great to me. I picked it up last week and have been enjoying the first few episodes. However, I have not been able to skip the previews on disc 1. I try FF'ing them, no luck; tried hitting 'menu' on the remote, no luck.

Glad to see this one out so soon after season 1. This is one of the best comedies of the last 25 years and I'm looking forward to more seasons.

3. Kevin_Lodge

Kevin_Lodge Stunt Coordinator

QUOTE "Another curiosity: I could not find anywhere in this set (or Season 1's) the proof of purchase coupons/tabs for the rebate. My wife, who is good at finding things (and things I lose), could not find them either. Does anyone else have missing PoPs, too?"

If you open up the spine of the outer box, you will find the POP on the top tab.

4. John McM

John McM Second Unit

so that does make sense then if Rev. Jim wasn't until the 10th filmed episode of season 2. I bought the set, and kept wondering when I was going to see him again (I finished the first disc last night).

I think the music has been cleared.

I would love to see some extras, but I am content with the uncut episodes, Taxi was one of the greats

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The one episode I can think of off the top of my head where the music is absolutely vital is when they go to Vienna, which I believe is in season 4.

6. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

That would be Vienna, by Billy Joel off the album The Stranger.

7. george kaplan

Yes,

If that song gets replaced by some muzak, it would completely ruin the episode IMO.

8. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    DUH on me! Thanks!

9. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Another one is "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" in Jim's Inheritance. (Season 5)

10. george kaplan

Well I should be clear. I will absolutely refuse to buy any set that has any musical changes. I was just mentioning one case that would be particularly egregious. But any music substitution is absolutely a deal killer for me.

11. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

I wish I could FIND this set. Every place I've been to has Season 1 on the shelves. Maybe they reordered to coincide with Season 2 and sold out of 2 before I could get there.

12. John McM

John McM Second Unit

everyone is so worried about music rights... THIS IS PARAMOUNT!!!

They successfully cleared both Happy Days and Charmed, shows that most likely have costlier music clearances than Taxi has. I'd be stunned if Paramount jerks Taxi around considering the Happy Days and Charmed sets which contained costly music.

13. TimTV

TimTV Extra

Ahh.... but Season 4 of "Cheers" has a disclaimer on the box saying something along the lines of "some music has been altered for the home video release of this set"

However, I don't know of any music being used in the fourth season of "Cheers" that isn't intact.

14. george kaplan

Thanks for the heads up. I have just removed this from my to buy list until and unless I can find evidence that the music is complete and intact.

15. MarkHarrison

And we can't forget the season 2 finale Fantasy Borough Part 2 where the gang all sings "Lullaby of Broadway" in tuxedos. That music has to be there intact.

16. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Which episode has Rev Jim ask a TV executive why they took Star Trek off the air? Classic scene!

17. MarkHarrison

Would that be season 4's Jim Joins the Network? The episode where Jim goes to work for Mitch (Martin Short) helping him with his TV network programming (and shoe shining [​IMG])?

18. Robert G Dirant

Robert G Dirant Auditioning

Just got this box today and can't wait to watch it this weekend, but if I remember correctly, the episode "Reverend Jim: a Space Odyssey" explains how Jim got hired and has one of the greatest scene in TV....."Whaaaaatttt doooeeeessss the yeellllloooooowwwww light mean?"