1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Taxi season 3 - edited episode?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jay_B!, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

today I got a review copy of Taxi season 3. It's one of my fave comedies, and I realized the first episode of the season, "Louie's Rival" peters out just after 23 minutes, while the other episodes on disc one are between 24:30 and 25. Was this episode shorter than the others or have syndicated episodes struck with Paramount too?

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I don't know about this episode, but a syndicated version would almost certainly not be 23 minutes -- syndication versions are around 22 minutes or 22:30 at most.

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, Taxi first went into syndication in the early 1980's, I figure syndicated episodes in 1983 were a tad longer than today. The episode is like 23:02, so it just passes the 22 minute deadline.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but 23:02 is so short for something from 1980 especially when other episodes on the set are 90+ seconds longer

4. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

23:02 is definitely longer than a syndicated episode would have been even then. (Syndication episodes from that period usually top out at 22:30, like the print of "The Darlings are Coming" on the Andy Griffith Show season 3.)

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

cool, thank you. Maybe it was just an unusually short episode. Paramount seems to be one of the classier DVD companies so that's why I was so curious. If it was Sony or a Carsey/Werner title, I wouldn't be surprised, but when the end credits started at 22:30, I was thinking maybe it was a syndie cut.