What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Taxi driver, The bridge on the river Kwai, The amazing Spiderman and 7 more films AVAILABLE IN 4k (s (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
25 grand? Certainly! A year's salary for a t.v., paid for with multiple credit cards that I would be paying down for the rest of my life. This is not for middle class buyers, even if the prices come way down (unless they come down to, say, $2,000).
As BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI is my favorite movie ever, the thought of viewing it in that resultion on an 84" screen is mouth-watering. But two further questions: does this thing even have 3-D capability for that price? And, what would a DVD (as DVD's still make up 2/3 of my movie collection) that looks ok on my 46-incher look like on this?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dick said:
25 grand? Certainly! A year's salary for a t.v., paid for with multiple credit cards that I would be paying down for the rest of my life. This is not for middle class buyers, even if the prices come way down (unless they come down to, say, $2,000).
As BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI is my favorite movie ever, the thought of viewing it in that resultion on an 84" screen is mouth-watering. But two further questions: does this thing even have 3-D capability for that price? And, what would a DVD (as DVD's still make up 2/3 of my movie collection) that looks ok on my 46-incher look like on this?
I can't answer your question but I can tell you this: I bought the first DVD of The Bridge On The River Kwai. Later I bought the BRD which can now be bought on line quite cheaply. The BRD is massively, overwhelmingly better than the DVD.
Don't wait for 4K. Buy the BRD as soon as possible.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought the BRD on day one, and it is a beauty.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
Well that is the worst list of films I can imagine offering to sucker someone into purchasing a monstrosity like this (aside from Taxi Driver and Bridge). Who the heck would want the see these films at 4k. I wouldn't bother watching that lot on youtube. Got to be the ugliest designed TV set in ages. Sony needs to calm down and take a breath before offering another new format before the last one has successfully caught on. The audaciousness of their greed knows no bounds.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I think most of those were chosen because they had 4K DIs, although THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and TOTAL RECALL did not, so those would be upconverts to 4K.
Vincent

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Vincent_P said:
I think most of those were chosen because they had 4K DIs, although THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and TOTAL RECALL did not, so those would be upconverts to 4K.
Vincent
Both movies you mention are probably available as data with a resolution of 4k and above and I fully expect Sony to make use of that and not the 2k DCIs, that is unless they would want to shoot themselves in the foot with this.
Another movie that has not been mentioned but that many people will want to see is Lawrence of Arabia, I expect it to join Kwai and Taxi Driver soon. I think it is problematic is that only the Sony TV is mentioned, what about the 4k projector? No 4k material on the 25000$ projector with its 160" screen but the 84" TV will get it? I expect Sony to rethink this way of handling their 4k offerings soon.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
OliverK said:
Both movies you mention are probably available as data with a resolution of 4k and above and I fully expect Sony to make use of that and not the 2k DCIs, that is unless they would want to shoot themselves in the foot with this...
You forget that both of those films have a massive amount of CGI effects shots, and I sincerely doubt Sony will go back to square one and recreate those effects at 4K resolution. I suppose they could go through each of those films shot-by-shot and "plug in" 4K versions of non-effects shots, though.
Vincent

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Vincent_P said:
You forget that both of those films have a massive amount of CGI effects shots, and I sincerely doubt Sony will go back to square one and recreate those effects at 4K resolution. I suppose they could go through each of those films shot-by-shot and "plug in" 4K versions of non-effects shots, though.
Vincent
When they can't manage to assemble a launch line-up of ten movies that fully take advantage of the format, it should be Sony's first clue that they're getting a little ahead of themselves with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks