What's new

Taxi Driver sequel (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
Screen legend Robert DeNiro has reunited with iconic director Martin Scorsese to work on a sequel to their classic movie "Taxi Driver" reports Contact Music.

The Oscar-winning actor, who starred as disturbed Vietnam veteran Travis Bickle in the 1976 film, has confirmed the movie veterans are mulling over script ideas for a follow-up to the gritty original.

With the exception of the "Meet" films, De Niro has starred in a series of flop films and critics are hoping Travis Bickle's resurrection will restore his reputation.

De Niro says, "I was talking with Martin Scorsese about doing what I guess you'd call a sequel to Taxi Driver, where he is older."
----------------------------------
I didnt see this coming. What film series has the record for longest period of time between installments?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Funny how we just had a thread discussing his rep and film choices.

This does not sound like a good idea and would seem to run counter to the themes of the original film, which were specifically tied to a young man's disenfranchisement (at least IMO).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Robert Redford is supposedly doing a sequel to The Chandidate, which would be ~33+ years if it happens. Star Wars went 16 between its third and fourth installments. Lemmon, Matthau, and Simon put 30 years between the two Odd Couple movies.

Others where it's unlikely the two shared any cast/crew: Disney released Return to Neverland 49 years after their version of Peter Pan. If you want to consider The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz part of the same series, that's 46 years.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, it'd be nice to see DeNiro and Scorsese working together again, but for Taxi Driver 2?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Didn't DeNiro's character die at the end of Taxi Driver?

If so, why would he be attached to a new movie?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

What's the source for the original story? The reference to "flop films" is suspicious. Analyze This was far from a flop.

M.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
You just made me think of another reason why a sequel is a bad idea. The ending of the original has always been open for interpretation, as some see Bickle's becoming a hero and the final meeting with Cybill as a fantasy, while his death is real

But a sequel would make the ending lose that quality.

thomas_jesp

Auditioning
I think Scorsese might be able to direct it, Schrader could write it, but de Niro has been very disappointing recently.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Taxid Driver is an amazing film and a sequal is likely to tarnish the reputation of this classic. :thumbsdown:

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
"I was talking with Martin Scorsese about doing what I guess you'd call a sequel to Taxi Driver, where he is older."

That one sentence is the only thing we're going off of here. And to me, all it sounds like is small talk between two friends. It sounds nothing like a definite plan. He could be referring to a film with a simliar character thematically, but older; certainly there is potential there. I just can't see Marty being dumb enough to do a sequel, esp. to that film. Ocean, you're absolutely right about the ending. A sequel would kill that aspect of it.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
An older Travis Bickle dealing with middle-age life sounds interesting if the story is right. Otherwise it could end up like a poor version of "Falling Down".

Let's throw out ideas of what we'd like to see. Ideas like: 1) Travis's job is being outsourced overseas and his violent tendencies return
2) Travis's son shows the same signs of being a vigilante and a well-adjusted and fully psycho-analyzed Travis attempts to dissuade him.
3) Iris seeks out Travis later in life...don't know where that would go

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to come up with ideas that work for a sequel...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

More than that: It's a sentence with no source identified. For all we know, it's a fabrication published on a rumor site.

Once again: Chris Winters, what is your source?

M.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I've actually seen this news on several movie news websites such as IGN Filmforce, Dark Horizons, and (I think) even IMDB. However, the idea is still far from being an officially announced movie project and I hope it always will be.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I think it's a bad idea conceptually speaking but there is another, to some perhaps minor, consideration for why I wouldn't want to see it....no Bernard Herman to do the score. IMO his driving yet subtle score for the original Taxi Driver was a very big contributing factor in it's artistic success.
Yes there are many composers out there who emulate his style but none IMPO that have equaled it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks