Tau, Wega, I-Art, or new Toshiba

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PascalC, Jul 25, 2001.

1. PascalC

PascalC Agent

Hi
    First excuse my English I’m a French Canadian!
    I have 1000 cdn$ (around 650US$) and I would like a new TV
    I have two choices
    I can buy a 27” flat screen TV or I can buy a 32” ordinary TV
    My choices for a flat screen TV
    JVC I-Art 27F702
    Sony Wega 27FS13
    The new Toshiba 27AF41
    Panasonic Tau 27SX11
    For ordinary TV
    JVC D series
    Toshiba 32A50
    What do you think about that?
    TV utilisation
    80% TV only antenna (no cable or satellite)
    20% DVD
    Thanks
    Chemist

2. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

If you price-match at Sears (as I did), you can get the 32" WEGA (the KV-32FV27) for only $1167.99.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection

3. PascalC

PascalC Agent

1167,99$US ? too much expensive for me!
    [Edited last by PascalC on July 25, 2001 at 06:10 PM]

4. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the JVC "D" series 32 inch screen. A 32 inch tube is almost 40% bigger than a 27 inch tube which really makes a difference when your watching anything that's shown in the letter-box format.

5. Jin Ha Joung

Jin Ha Joung Auditioning

i'm in the same position as you are right now. as of now, i'm leaning towards getting a 27" flat screen instead of a regular 32". once you're used to flat, it's hard to watch something on a non-flat screen, even the jvc d-series is pretty curved. when i lived with a couple of roommates in a house, we bought a 32" JVC D-series tv, and it's a pretty nice tv, but i think i'm gonna go with a flat screen instead now that i have my own place. the only non-flat screens that i like are the regular sony ones, but they're not that cheap either compared to the wegas. i've been trying to look around, but it's hard to find a place that carries all of them. For some reason i can't seem to find the JVC anywhere. Bestbuy used to have the panasonic, but they don't have it anymore and now they have the new toshiba 27AF41. I don't like the way the wega fs series looks, i prefer the fv series, but they're much more expensive. i think the only advantage the wega has over the other brands is the 16:9 enhanced mode. i think the cheapest one that i could find is the toshiba for around $500, i might go with that, but i'm still shopping around. it's really hard to tell which tv looks the best at a store, because all the settings are messed up. and since these tv's are relatively new it's hard to find some good reviews or comparisons. i might just wait it out for awhile. i don't know. anyone here had a chance to compare them? any help would be appreciated....
    jin

6. PascalC

PascalC Agent

This weekwend I go to the store to compare all the models
    32" are 25% biger than 27" not 40% ?
    [Edited last by PascalC on July 26, 2001 at 06:05 AM]

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Pascal, the viewable screen area (not taking overscan issues into account) on a 32 inch diagonal is 40 percent more than on a 27 inch diagonal. I think you'll need to decide for yourself if you want a bigger picture with the traditional curved tube vs. a smaller flat tube. That's really something one can only do by going and comparing the sets in person.
    good luck,
    --tom

8. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Has Panasonic changed the Tau's to allow manual anamorphic squeeze? The Tau has a lot of problems recognizing anamorphic DVDs on certain players and needless to say, that is a serious problem.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman