Tau vs. Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LesterLiu, Jun 16, 2001.

1. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

I'm shopping for my first decent television set. I know i want a flat screen tube tv, due to the room size and the amount of windows in the room. I'm limited to either a 27" or 32" tv because i plan on upgrading within the year and will end up putting this tv into my bedroom. As far as flat screen tube tv's go, i've heard and read that wega/tau is the only way to go. I just wanted everyone's opinion on this and see which one everyone prefers. I've looked at both of them extensively, and they match up very well in my eyes and plus they're the same price pretty much. I'm almost inclined to take the sony purely on name, but if anyone comes up with a convincing argument for the tau, i'm very open minded. Also, do any of the other manufacturers have a tv that rivals the sony/panasonic? i saw quite a few of flatscreen tv's but like i said earlier, have heard nothing but good things about the tau/wega. Help guys, help me make up my mind!!
    fwiw, i'm looking at the budget wega/tau sets, in the 800-1000 price range. none of that exclusive xbr stuff [​IMG]
    Lester

2. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

ttt

3. Will Ernst

Will Ernst Agent

Here's another vote for Wega. I've got the 32" and the 16:9 Enhancement is awesome. The picture is fantastic when it's set right. I was impressed with the display model, but it was nothing like the picture after I "Avia-ed" it. Especially on a big screen, flat screen is everything. I had problems with room glare even when I was using a 19". When I bought the Wega I found myself subconsciously looking for the lamp reflections and laughed.
    -will

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Take a look at the JVC I'Art series as well. There are new 32 inch versions that have come out I believe.
    good luck,
    --tom

5. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

i did take a look at the jvc also but am kinda hesitant to plop down the same amount of cash on a JVC brand tv. does the jvc have any discernible differences between the tau and wega? any features that puts the jvc above the rest? i looked at the product literature but didn't see anything that stood out plus, the picture of the wega seemed a little crisper and truer to me. but who knows, they probably had the wega set tuned and the jvc at the factory spec.

6. LesterLiu

LesterLiu Extra

one more q. what is the difference between the wega s and v series? is the picture tube the same? in the product lits, they both are listed as having fd trinitron tubes, so would the picture quality be the same in both? why is the v series 100 bucks more? the salesperson i talked to said the tubes were different, *very* different, i don't really believe him since the picture looked the same...

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the 32 inch JVC I'Arts but a friend owns the 27 inch F802 and he likes it a lot. It does not do any type of vertical compression for 16x9 (unless you tinker in the service menu) which is one difference between it and the Wega Sonys. He went to another friends who has a 27FV16 Wega and he took a look at the vertical compression/squeeze feature and from the same viewing distance as in his living space, he didn't see much of a difference that he could tell. My friend also found the Sony picture to be pushed to red and he found the JVC had a better (or more neutral) color balance. Of course, if the user settings aren't calibrated in some fashion then it is hard to compare and it is always in the eye of the beholder. As for differences in features (PIP, etc.), I think you can visit the JVC web site to get details on the I'Arts and compare to the list of features the Sony Wegas have.
    good luck,
    --tom

8. Scott_Sl

Scott_Sl Auditioning

Ok, I have done close comparasions to the Wega, Tau, and the I'art. It was easily between the Sony and the JVC. I'll give you the pros and cons of both sets.
    The Sony Pros,
    1. The squeeze
    2. I think it has a Better remote than jvc
    3. Channel labeling
    4 Has a little sharper picture than jvc.
    (Sony uses some special feature that really sharpens the picture but it comes with draw backs also)
    5. More people have them so you can trade stories better.
    6. Sound may be a little better than jvc's
    Sony Cons
    1.Geometry bowing in the bottom middle always
    2. Weird color problems like banding common
    3. Whites are VERY pink (Can be fixed most of the time)
    4.Scan lines
    JVC Pros
    1. One of the best comb filters in the industry
    (Better than Sonys)
    2. Very dark blacks and rich colors
    (both much better than sonys)
    3. Less noticable scan lines than Sonys
    4. Much better tuner than Sonys a lot less ghosting
    (If you watch a lot of reg. cable etc. you should really compare)
    JVC cons
    1. Geometry problems bowing in the bottom middle and side (the bottom bow isless than sonys but there are other geometry problems that drive me CRAZY)
    2. No squeeze. (But you can do it in the service mode)
    3. Remote skips channels to much
    4. Sound may not be as deep as sonys (But you can change it in service mode)
    I picked the i'art I love the colors hate the geometry problems.
    I'm on my second and may have someone come out to fix the slight tilt and bow in the upper right side.

9. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

>>I picked the i'art I love the colors hate the geometry problems.
    I'm on my second and may have someone come out to fix the slight tilt and bow in the upper right side.

10. Scott_Sl

Scott_Sl Auditioning

No, I'm not sure it can be fixed, I'm ordering a service manual and Im going to have someone come out and see if they can adjust the yoke. The slight tilt bothers me more than anything. Since this is the second one I wonder if somethings interfering but I doubt it.
    Maybe I sould take it back. If someone has a better idea Id love to know about it.
    Overall I think geometry problems are by far the biggest problems with flat screens.

11. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor