Tau VS. VVega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 20, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Which would you guys' choose? I am in desperate need for a real nice t.v., and have been looking at both. Which would you guys' go for and why?
    ***Also, I don't quite get teh enhanced mode on the VVega for 16:9 movies? Doesn't this just make it full screen?

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Anyone...

Hello [Echo]

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I believe the Wegas are a little more popular and have fewer problems. From what I understand about the 16:9 mode is this (but I could be wrong) is that you'll still have a letterbox'd picture but it will be better looking. Basically the space taken by the black bars are lost space meaning it's wasted area so the 16:9 mode takes the information and includes it with the picture you see resulting in a nicer looking widescreen picture. I don't have one of these sets nor have I ever seen this feature in action so take all this with a grain of salt. [​IMG]
    Jeff

4. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Thanx Jeff, anyone else??

5. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32 Wega and I really like it. the 16:9 mode is pretty cool. You will still get the black bars but they won't get scanned by the TV. The TV will only scan the space between the back bars. Therefor the picture quality is better. Make sure your DVD player is set for 16:9 TV and not 4:3.

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

The Tau will have red push that is not easily adjusted and velocity modulated scannning (edge enhancement) that cannot be turned off (annoying feature)

The Wega has a red push that is easily adjusted via the service menu and velocity modulated scanning can be adjusted (big issue, IMO)

All Wegas 27 inches and above have the 16x9 mode, which is also a BIG bonus.

Both sets probably have the same problems with regards to color purity and geometry/convergence, from what I've seen. The plus for the Sony sets is that there is a wealth of information to be found online about tweaking the set through it's service menu, which can help minimize the aforementioned problems.

Hope this helps.

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Abel, I forgot one other common problem with the wegas - the uneven brightness problem. Despite what Sony claims, this issue has not been fixed in all new models since I went through 2 XBR-450's and the problem was as bad as ever.

Some people seem to tolerate it though.

8. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Thanx man, that helped out a lot!! Really appreciate it!![​IMG]