tATu: from Russia with love....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ulmer, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Last week I bought a CD on impulse, after hearing it played in store. This isn't something I would normally do, but the tracks I heard were cool, and it was price under $10, which for a new release is unheard of up here, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The style is sort of Depeche Mode (music) meets ABBA (vocals), with a dark dance vibe. The act is from Russia, and is basically a product of the producers. They do a pretty apt cover of the Smith's "How Soon is Now," along with both English and Russian versions of their other songs.

What makes things even more interesting is their marketing. The two girls who make up the band are 15 and 16. Their debut video (included on the CD and at www.tatugirls.com) features both of them in school uniforms getting drenched in the rain, and centers around them kissing. While this wasn't a factor in my buying decision, and I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it, I can just imagine the strategy meeting for their marketing department. I doubt the video will be playing on MTV soon, though it's a hit on the Russian MTV station.

2. andrew markworthy

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

4. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I already started a t.A.T.u. (That's how it's spelled) thread a few weeks ago.

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

6. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Its also Victoria on WWE Raws Entrance Music. Videos Cool to[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

As I said in the opening post, it was hearing the music that made me buy the disc, and on that alone, I could see these girls having a lot of success.

Their image was discovered after listening to the CD, and even if they are 17 that is still pretty young. Personally, I don't care if they are gay or not, but as I eluded to earlier, the marketing department is obviously exploiting the lesbian angle to draw a male audience.

I just hope it doesn't backfire on them, as the girls do show talent. It doesn't matter if they write their own material or not, as long as the finished product contains well written, well performed and well produced music.

10. Martin Fontaine

11. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it here as well...

If you think that the album sounds good in English, check out the original Russian album. I tend to like the Russian versions of all the songs better than the English counterparts, which aren't even literal translations (much like in a dub for a movie, they worried more about fitting the words into the music than keeping the "original intent" of the lyrics). The Russian language just plain sounds cool.

12. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Alright, you guys got my curiousity up. So I started downloading a video (you know...to check out the music [​IMG]) and it turned out to be one of those songs that I hear from time to time and really like, but never hear who sings it or what the song is called. Awesome for finding out who the artists are. I don't know enough to get too much in to the above discussion, but so far the music sounds pretty cool.

Chris

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Trevor and the girls did a good job on the English translation, as they sound pretty natural, though not 100% free of accent.

How many more songs are on the legit Russian only version? The disc I have has a number of songs in Russian, but it looks like there are 17 or 19 songs on the Russian versions on Ebay.

16. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

17. Martin Fontaine

I ordered the Russian album 2 and a half weeks ago. It shipped on Sunday the 19th and still not received it Argh!

18. andrew markworthy

I've listened to the Russian and the English versions of the album, and IMHO their music is slightly above-average Europop (I prefer the English versions, but this is just personal taste, I guess). BTW, to my ears, the production doesn't really sound all that Trevor Horn-ish.

I do have some problems with the image, however. I've no problem with a gay group (of either gender) and being amazed that a group might use sex to sell their product is just naive. However, some of this playing around with a schoolgirl image is just a little unhealthy IMHO.

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

This group surfaced on fark awhile back before their video first aired on MTV in the US. They had some other links including this site which appears to be their original home page. Check out their about page which mentions they both auditioned along with 500 others to be in the group and were selected individually. When I first saw this stuff I saw a page where they had written a letter stating that they had voluntarily signed a contract with their producer giving him what sounded like complete control over their lives. I figured he probably wrote the letter and had them sign it. Here's another quote from the about page: