taskbar problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SteveGon, Dec 9, 2004.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm running with Windows and my taskbar seems to be stuck in the "up" position (I have it set to where it's hidden unless I drag the cursor over it). Now when I drag the cursor over it I get the hourglass symbol as if a program were running/loading. Very strange and I have no idea as to how to fix it. Any ideas?

2. Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman Stunt Coordinator

Hi steve

Have you tried to take taskbar out of autohide and then back into auto hide to refresh itself. Also your system might be bouged down with low memory or it could be sometype of malware, but I would consider that a little far fetched for malware to control your taskbar but it could be a possibility.

Does this happen even after rebooting. Sounds strange, I am running windows 2K and have never had that happen.

Jonathon

3. SteveGon

I went to the control panel and tried to access the taskbar options but it wouldn't open. Very strange. I've rebooted several times to no avail. [​IMG]

4. Jonathon Tillman

Jonathon Tillman Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

I am sorry I assumed that you already knew how to get there.

Taskbar settings are not in the control panel, click start go to settings and taskbar and start menu is few under control panel it should be the bottom one.

In there you will see a animation of you taskbar and start menu with 5 check boxes in the middle. Box#1 always on top, #2 Auto hide #3 Show small icons in start menu #4 show clock #5 Use personalized menus. In my setup I have every box check except #3.

If you uncheck Box #2 then hit apply on the bottom right the taskbar will be fixed in the "up" position, Then by checking it and hitting apply the taskbar should go down and come up with the hover of the mouse. I am suggesting to do this because maybe it will refresh itself.

If you are unable to get into taskbar and start menu then something got deleted or you machine is being attacked by malware.

What version of windows are you running. I am running windows 2000.

Hope this helps.

Jonathon

5. SteveGon

I can't access anything on the taskbar, including the start menu. Haven't deleted anything of consequence recently though the problem started shortly after I sent a file to a friend via AIM. I'm running Windows XP.