What's new

Tarzan starring Ron Ely (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
With the possibility of more tv shows from the '50's and '60's making their way to dvd I wouldn't mind seeing this series resurrected. I can only go by the fact that as a kid of 12 it seemed pretty exciting. I always liked Ron Ely in the role and since it only ran for 2 seasons ( 57 1 hour episodes ) maybe it has a chance.I think it is owned by Warners - correct me if I erred on that. I noticed that five movies were also made between 1967 and 1970 but I do not readily recall them and I'm sure they managed a Saturday matinee billing at best - more for the kids.
Are there any fans out there hoping for an eventual release?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity there was one episode were Ely had to fight someone on a grid of ropes with boiling oil below them - that one has always stuck in my mind over the years. I'm wondering which episode it was.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I liked this show when it was on although jungle adventure type shows are usually not my thing (Daktari, Maya, etc.). I looked in my collection after seeing this thread and I didn't realize that I had about half the run. That said, I would like to see a release although Warner has really shown no indication that they have plans to market their older shows. And, no, 3 episodes of a show doesn't count.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

That was the action climax of the movie, TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963), starring Jock Mahoney as Tarzan. I saw very little of the Ron Ely TV series over the years, so I couldn't tell you if that sequence was replicated in an episode.

Besides the TV show, we really need the 1960s Tarzan movies to be released on legit R1 DVD, especially:

TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1959) Gordon Scott
TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960) Gordon Scott
TARZAN GOES TO INDIA (1962) Jock Mahoney
TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963) Jock Mahoney
TARZAN & THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966) Mike Henry

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
A local station ran it about 20 years ago Sundays at noon. I watched it, but i cant say i liked it. Sure it had a charm. But i just couldn't buy Tarzan back from college to save the jungle. I remember the fight over the lava pit story. I remember Nichelle Nichols on one too. Ron Ely looked to be about 45, but maybe that was all the sun. Now i might bite if i could get the Filmation animated Tarzan from the mid 70s.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my! I must of watched every episode of this series when I was a kid. Loved it then, now? I seriously doubt I'd buy it on DVD. Maybe if I caught it on TV I'd give it a look.

He was born in 1938 the series finished in 1969, you do the math.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
See what to much sun does to you! He is (now) only 4 years older than my parents, and 25 years older than me. Maybe it will see the light of day if/when they make another Tarzan movie. The Tarzan show is 100 times better than the War of the Worlds TV show, and that got released thanks to a new movie.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
This is definitely up in my top 5 show's of the 1960's which has not yet been released but would like to. After Batman and Green Hornet I would like to see this. I don't know, things seem bleak for releases these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks