Tarzan starring Ron Ely

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brent Avery, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

With the possibility of more tv shows from the '50's and '60's making their way to dvd I wouldn't mind seeing this series resurrected. I can only go by the fact that as a kid of 12 it seemed pretty exciting. I always liked Ron Ely in the role and since it only ran for 2 seasons ( 57 1 hour episodes ) maybe it has a chance.I think it is owned by Warners - correct me if I erred on that. I noticed that five movies were also made between 1967 and 1970 but I do not readily recall them and I'm sure they managed a Saturday matinee billing at best - more for the kids.
    Are there any fans out there hoping for an eventual release?

2. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Just out of curiosity there was one episode were Ely had to fight someone on a grid of ropes with boiling oil below them - that one has always stuck in my mind over the years. I'm wondering which episode it was.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I liked this show when it was on although jungle adventure type shows are usually not my thing (Daktari, Maya, etc.). I looked in my collection after seeing this thread and I didn't realize that I had about half the run. That said, I would like to see a release although Warner has really shown no indication that they have plans to market their older shows. And, no, 3 episodes of a show doesn't count.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald

That was the action climax of the movie, TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963), starring Jock Mahoney as Tarzan. I saw very little of the Ron Ely TV series over the years, so I couldn't tell you if that sequence was replicated in an episode.

Besides the TV show, we really need the 1960s Tarzan movies to be released on legit R1 DVD, especially:

TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1959) Gordon Scott
    TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960) Gordon Scott
    TARZAN GOES TO INDIA (1962) Jock Mahoney
    TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963) Jock Mahoney
    TARZAN & THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966) Mike Henry

5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

That's what's so [​IMG] about this forum...I'd forgotton about the Tarzan TV series. I'd get this one if it was available.

6. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    A local station ran it about 20 years ago Sundays at noon. I watched it, but i cant say i liked it. Sure it had a charm. But i just couldn't buy Tarzan back from college to save the jungle. I remember the fight over the lava pit story. I remember Nichelle Nichols on one too. Ron Ely looked to be about 45, but maybe that was all the sun. Now i might bite if i could get the Filmation animated Tarzan from the mid 70s.

7. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

Oh my! I must of watched every episode of this series when I was a kid. Loved it then, now? I seriously doubt I'd buy it on DVD. Maybe if I caught it on TV I'd give it a look.

He was born in 1938 the series finished in 1969, you do the math.

8. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    See what to much sun does to you! He is (now) only 4 years older than my parents, and 25 years older than me. Maybe it will see the light of day if/when they make another Tarzan movie. The Tarzan show is 100 times better than the War of the Worlds TV show, and that got released thanks to a new movie.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Here he is from Tarzan:
    [​IMG]

According to the www.imdb.com He hasn't done anything since 1987's Sea Hunt remake.

10. dhammer

dhammer Second Unit

David
    This is definitely up in my top 5 show's of the 1960's which has not yet been released but would like to. After Batman and Green Hornet I would like to see this. I don't know, things seem bleak for releases these days.