What's new

Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle - Warner Press Release Announces 'The Complete Season 1' DVDs! (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
That is the best answer for what they did but apparently the strategy back fired based on all the negative comments and laughter they received from potential younger buyers. So for us older viewers who are the fans and main buyers of the show we are stuck with a cover that doesn't match the show and imho is disrespectful to the original show by saying the original artwork is not good enough for a cover.
That's why I wish Warner Archive would have released this instead of WHV as they would have treated the show with respect.

Even if they had wanted the improper "modern" artwork for the main image, they should have used the show's official logo w/headshot (as screen-capped earlier in the thread), or at the very least, used actual screen caps on the back cover. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even mention the word Filmation on there anywhere.

taking things a wee bit off-topic, I think it's a real missed opportunity for someone in some region (not necessarily the US, but anywhere) to not have released complete series sets of all those old Filmation titles that BCI released which are now OOP and going for silly money.

Spain did Isis, Space Academy and Ark II, but (IMO, stupidly) only included Spanish audio. If they'd have also included the original English, it could have potentially sold much better!

I bought the Spanish sets for Ark II and Space Academy before I was sure about the audio, and noticed that they contain more picture area than the corresponding BCI sets (because both sets were created from PAL format masters, the US sets are slightly cropped and, due to the standards conversion and lower resolution of NTSC, of a little bit lesser quality).

Seeing the superior PAL sets makes me with someone in Region 2 (or 4) would take those PAL masters and re-release all the live-action shows. Even if they cannot include the same extras that were on the BCI sets (due to licencing copyright), I'd be happy with new sets of just the episodes, direct from the PAL format masters.

As far as I know, the only Filmation live-action that got released (in English) in PAL format was the first six half-hours of Jason of Star Command, across three volumes in the UK.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Even if they had wanted the improper "modern" artwork for the main image, they should have used the show's official logo w/headshot (as screen-capped earlier in the thread), or at the very least, used actual screen caps on the back cover. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't even mention the word Filmation on there anywhere.

taking things a wee bit off-topic, I think it's a real missed opportunity for someone in some region (not necessarily the US, but anywhere) to not have released complete series sets of all those old Filmation titles that BCI released which are now OOP and going for silly money.

Spain did Isis, Space Academy and Ark II, but (IMO, stupidly) only included Spanish audio. If they'd have also included the original English, it could have potentially sold much better!

I bought the Spanish sets for Ark II and Space Academy before I was sure about the audio, and noticed that they contain more picture area than the corresponding BCI sets (because both sets were created from PAL format masters, the US sets are slightly cropped and, due to the standards conversion and lower resolution of NTSC, of a little bit lesser quality).

Seeing the superior PAL sets makes me with someone in Region 2 (or 4) would take those PAL masters and re-release all the live-action shows. Even if they cannot include the same extras that were on the BCI sets (due to licencing copyright), I'd be happy with new sets of just the episodes, direct from the PAL format masters.

As far as I know, the only Filmation live-action that got released (in English) in PAL format was the first six half-hours of Jason of Star Command, across three volumes in the UK.

I acquired Isis, Ark II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command as they were released by BCI and loved each set. I didn't initially acquire the Zorro/Lone Ranger sets because of the early reviews that the Lone Ranger was "incomplete" which ultimately turned out to be false. I recently acquired both sets and did have to pay a premium but one that wasn't excruciatingly painful.

I'm looking forward to adding Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle to my collection (I preordered it from Amazon and should arrive by June 20th).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I bought most of the BCI filmation releases when they came out and I'm glad I did. They came out right when Warner Archive started their Saturday morning releases so I was already in that collecting mode.
I got live action: Ark II, Jason of Star Command, Isis, Space Academy, Ghostbusters. Animated: Flash Gordon, The Lone Ranger/Zorro, The Space Sentinels, Blackstar, The Groovy Ghoulies. I am surprised that no one in the US has picked these up again.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well based on the reviews on Amazon it looks like the bad cover is not the only reason to wish that this was released by Warner Archive.
Unlike the nice remastering job that Warner Archive does apparently not only was this release by WHV not remastered it was not even cleaned up and has white lines in some episode, some edited/incomplete episodes, color issues, visible dust. So I guess this is still better than nothing but a disappointing release. I haven't seen this yet as Amazon has not shipped my copy yet but there are too many reviews saying the same things to ignore them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I bought most of the BCI filmation releases when they came out and I'm glad I did. They came out right when Warner Archive started their Saturday morning releases so I was already in that collecting mode.
I got live action: Ark II, Jason of Star Command, Isis, Space Academy, Ghostbusters. Animated: Flash Gordon, The Lone Ranger/Zorro, The Space Sentinels, Blackstar, The Groovy Ghoulies. I am surprised that no one in the US has picked these up again.
I love my BCI sets, now I'm afraid to play them as a scratch to a disc could prove very costly to replace.
As for a re-release for any of these shows, I sadly fear the worst.
I remember talking with David Levine of BCI, and he said only The Secret Of Isis turned a profit. I believe Jason Of Star Command broke even, and all the others were a lost cause.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
I've already backed up the best episodes in my "Secrets of Isis" set by making a new set of discs that (1) removed the PAL speedup by converting the episodes to mp4 and then slowing them down 3% and (2) restoring the surviving "Closing morals" to the episodes they belong in. That way the original discs don't get subject to further wear and tear!

I have to wonder, as I've speculated before if the very name "Isis" would likely prevent the show from ever being reissued again in light of what the term now conjures in the minds of most people regarding terrorism.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Well based on the reviews on Amazon it looks like the bad cover is not the only reason to wish that this was released by Warner Archive.
Unlike the nice remastering job that Warner Archive does apparently not only was this release by WHV not remastered it was not even cleaned up and has white lines in some episode, some edited/incomplete episodes, color issues, visible dust. So I guess this is still better than nothing but a disappointing release. I haven't seen this yet as Amazon has not shipped my copy yet but there are too many reviews saying the same things to ignore them.

Randy:

Thanks for the update. That is most unfortunate that they didn't do any clean up on the episodes. I preordered it frrom Amazon and my copy should arrive by Monday. Do we have confirmation that the episodes are actually edited or are they time-sped?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I have confirmed that at least one episode, Tarzan and the Golden Lion, is missing footage, as reported by another consumer on Amazon's product page. I will be contacting the studio to request that they prepare and provide replacement discs, and encourage other buyers to do the same. We have waited too many years for this to be released in such a shoddy manner.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I have confirmed that at least one episode, Tarzan and the Golden Lion, is missing footage, as reported by another consumer on Amazon's product page. I will be contacting the studio to request that they prepare and provide replacement discs, and encourage other buyers to do the same. We have waited too many years for this to be released in such a shoddy manner.

Timothy:

Thank you for the confirmation; I, too, will contact the studio.

Kirben

Agent
Real Name
Travis
The DVD release just arrived, so I can provide further details that might help. I have not seen this Tarzan series before, so I can only judge by the runtime for each episode:

Disc 1:
22:55 Tarzan and the City of Gold
22:52 Tarzan and the Vikings
22:10 Tarzan and the Golden Lion
22:51 Tarzan and the Forbidden City
22:53 Tarzan and the Graveyard of elephants
22:52 Tarzan's Return to the City of Gold
22:53 Tarzan and the Strange Vistors
22:52 Tarzan and the Land of Giants

Disc 2:
22:52 Tarzan and the Knights of Nimmr
22:52 Tarzan's Rival
22:51 Tarzan and the City of Sorcery
22:52 Tarzan at the Earth's Core
22:50 Tarzan and the Ice Creature
22:50 Tarzan and the Olympiads
22:52 Tarzan's Trial
22:50 Tarzan, The Hated

So it looks like only 'Tarzan and the Golden Lion' has been edited, unless the edits to other episodes are extremely minor (seconds only). Will I miss much story wise by watching the edited version of 'Tarzan and the Golden Lion'?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The DVD release just arrived, so I can provide further details that might help. I have not seen this Tarzan series before, so I can only judge by the runtime for each episode:

Disc 1:
22:55 Tarzan and the City of Gold
22:52 Tarzan and the Vikings
22:10 Tarzan and the Golden Lion
22:51 Tarzan and the Forbidden City
22:53 Tarzan and the Graveyard of elephants
22:52 Tarzan's Return to the City of Gold
22:53 Tarzan and the Strange Vistors
22:52 Tarzan and the Land of Giants

Disc 2:
22:52 Tarzan and the Knights of Nimmr
22:52 Tarzan's Rival
22:51 Tarzan and the City of Sorcery
22:52 Tarzan at the Earth's Core
22:50 Tarzan and the Ice Creature
22:50 Tarzan and the Olympiads
22:52 Tarzan's Trial
22:50 Tarzan, The Hated

So it looks like only 'Tarzan and the Golden Lion' has been edited, unless the edits to other episodes are extremely minor (seconds only). Will I miss much story wise by watching the edited version of 'Tarzan and the Golden Lion'?

Travis:

Thank you for posting the run times of each episode. An Amazon reviewer and Timothy from our forum here have confirmed that "Tarzan and the Golden Lion" is edited and your run time for the episode supports that. I am not sure if anything else has been edited since I've seen this animated series since childhood.

While the lack of remastering is unfortunate and the horizontal lines running through the first episode are an annoyance, I think having edited episodes bothers me more. I am grateful for the release and hope to see another set with the remaining episodes to complete the series but the very least they could have done was to insure that episodes were uncut.

On a positive note, the series holds up very well. Sure there is the nostalgia of it being one of my favorite childhood cartoons but the stories really are engaging and well done. What is far more apparent on this second viewing as an adult is the odd fact that Tarzan runs into far more Caucasians and aliens in the Africa rather than actual Africans.

Last edited:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

Got 'em all on DVD, and I'm glad I was able to "Git 'em while the gittin's good" because today, the gittin's not-so-good! :eek:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Here's a rundown on what the BCI Filmation Series are going for on "The Big River"

Secrets of Isis (Entire Series) $57.99

Space Academy $46,99

Ark II $99.01

Jason of Star Command $109.95

Sci-Fi Box Set (Contains Ark II, Space Academy & Jason of Star Command) $118,99

Legend of Prince Valiant (Both Volumes) $30.86

The Groovy Ghoulies $59.99

The Archie Show $20.07

Archie's Funhouse $9.99

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch 7.45

The Lone Ranger/Zorro (Both Volumes) $111.99

Bravestarr $13.21

The New Adventures of Flash Gordon $33.83

Defenders of Earth $15.99

Blackstar $129.79

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just remember Deepdiscountdvd.com(now just Deepdiscount.com) when Ark II, and Secret Of Isis launched the price was I beieve $6.49 per set.
I still remember the conversation I had with my brother-for that price I should get one to open and one to keep sealed-(because we both love the live action Filmation).

I decided against it, and now my copies of both series are starting to get dog eared on the cardboard slipcase corners.
I can officially say the decision not to buy a second copy of them was one of the biggest blunders I have ever made....I mean even two copies equaled only $12 for crying out loud. Dumb, dumb move Bryan.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just remember Deepdiscountdvd.com(now just Deepdiscount.com) when Ark II, and Secret Of Isis launched the price was I beieve $6.49 per set.
I still remember the conversation I had with my brother-for that price I should get one to open and one to keep sealed-(because we both love the live action Filmation).

I decided against it, and now my copies of both series are starting to get dog eared on the cardboard slipcase corners.
I can officially say the decision not to buy a second copy of them was one of the biggest blunders I have ever made....I mean even two copies equaled only $12 for crying out loud. Dumb, dumb move Bryan.

My big blunder was not stockpiling a bunch of those live-action Filmation sets when Oldies.com were selling off their remainder stock at about $7.00 per set. I could have made a killing on the secondhand market (particularly with Isis).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Pardon my ignorance, but what's "The Big River"? I might want to pick up a few of those sets (especially Isis)! :)

That's Amazon for those of you in Rio Linda! :D (I ought to know, I've been to Brazil four times with my church on a Mission Trip. Two of those were to the Amazon River where we did Vacation Bible School with children in Fishing Villages along the river). Big is an UNDERSTATEMENT. We were 1,800 miles inland, and the river is over 30 miles wide. From the one side of the river you can't see the other side, and it has tides like the ocean. Bear in mine the prices I listed were the ones that were listed when I posted the original message.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This title seemed to sell, despite its low transfer quality. The stories are so good I like to believe enough people bought it to justify a second release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks