What's new

Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle - Warner Press Release Announces 'The Complete Season 1' DVDs! (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would love to see a complete series release of all 28 episodes of The Lone Ranger that ran from 1980-1982 and also a complete series release of all 26 episodes of The Lone Ranger that ran from 1966-1969.
BCI released the complete series on their two OOP Lone Ranger/Zorro releases. Classic Media released the first seven episodes on a single disk. The real missing horde is the 1966-69 series. Three episodes of it were apparently on the Lone Rangers Collector's Set of the complete 1950s tv series (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-lone-ranger-collectors-edition/26008645?ean=0037117070534), but nothing else has been released. According to Wikipedia, it went beyond the traditional western in terms of storyline and was more like Wild Wild West in incorporating science fiction elements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Ranger_(animated_TV_series)).

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Filmation Lone Ranger 1980-1982 was released by BCI a few years back on 2 volumes which included Zorro I have both. But I believe they are out of print now.

Randy:

Thank you for the reply. I was aware of the following previous releases of Filmation's The Lone Ranger (I have all 13 episodes of the New Adventures of Zorro from the standalone release from Classic Media on July 1, 2012: http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventure...7&sr=1-1&keywords=the+new+adventures+of+zorro):

The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro Volume 1 that was released by BCI on 12/18/07: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lo...7&sr=1-3&keywords=the+new+adventures+of+zorro

The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro Volume 2 that was released by BCI on 7/15/08: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lo..._UL320_SR212,320_&refRID=0CX7WKS0WYGDST0PK7QZ

I would like to own the complete series of The Lone Ranger and since you own both volumes of The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro I was hoping you could confirm that all 28 episodes of The Lone Ranger are in both volumes combined. The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that each volume contained 11 episodes of The Lone Ranger and, thus, only 22 out of the 28 total episodes were released in both volumes combined.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide in resolving the issue.

Sean

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
BCI released the complete series on their two OOP Lone Ranger/Zorro releases. Classic Media released the first seven episodes on a single disk. The real missing horde is the 1966-69 series. Three episodes of it were apparently on the Lone Rangers Collector's Set of the complete 1950s tv series (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-lone-ranger-collectors-edition/26008645?ean=0037117070534), but nothing else has been released. According to Wikipedia, it went beyond the traditional western in terms of storyline and was more like Wild Wild West in incorporating science fiction elements (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Ranger_(animated_TV_series)).

Ray:

Thank you for your reply. I own the Lone Ranger Collector's Edition and actually forgot that 3 episodes of the 1966 series are in the set. I hope to see to a complete series of all 26 episodes materialize at some point.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree with others that from the cover I would pass this up, not thinking it was the Filmation Tarzan of the 70's.

Tarzan-Filmation.png

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy:

Thank you for the reply. I was aware of the following previous releases of Filmation's The Lone Ranger (I have all 13 episodes of the New Adventures of Zorro from the standalone release from Classic Media on July 1, 2012: http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventure...7&sr=1-1&keywords=the+new+adventures+of+zorro):

The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro Volume 1 that was released by BCI on 12/18/07: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lo...7&sr=1-3&keywords=the+new+adventures+of+zorro

The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro Volume 2 that was released by BCI on 7/15/08: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Lone-Ranger-Zorro-Volume/dp/B0017APPVQ/ref=pd_sim_74_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51O09USsLsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR212,320_&refRID=0CX7WKS0WYGDST0PK7QZ

I would like to own the complete series of The Lone Ranger and since you own both volumes of The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro I was hoping you could confirm that all 28 episodes of The Lone Ranger are in both volumes combined. The reason I ask is that I was under the impression that each volume contained 11 episodes of The Lone Ranger and, thus, only 22 out of the 28 total episodes were released in both volumes combined.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide in resolving the issue.

Sean
The first 11 episodes were in BCI's volume 1: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...-lone-ranger-zorro/14707037?ean=0787364724390
I was looking at a episode list for volume 2 earlier today, and I am quite sure that all of the remaining series episodes were in volume 2.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Superfirfiends are WHV not Warner Archive. The Warner Archive releases use a cell from the actual show. That was my point WHV is clueless on how to release classic animation

Yeah, i see that you're right. I thought some of the WA's were also bad, but it really is the WHV
releases that have inappropriate artwork. It makes you think it's intentional to not tip off the
uneducated consumer that these shows are "old". That's also why they never promote the
original season air dates.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Personally, some of the recent WA releases have had overly simple covers for me. I think the best Warner Archive animation covers have been for Goober and the Ghost Chasers and The Funky Phantom where they used covers for old Gold Key comic books connected to those shows:
upload_2016-4-14_0-55-17.jpeg
71Pst7xnlwL._SY445_.jpg

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I was able to purchase BCI/Eclipse's releases The New Adventures of The Lone Ranger and Zorro Volumes 1 and 2 online over the weekend (volume 1 is a used copy and volume 2 is a new copy and the prices were certainly steep) so I can't wait until they arrive and I will finally own all 28 episodes of the complete series of The Lone Ranger (I already have the 13-episode complete series of The New Adventures of Zorro). With 16 episodes of Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle coming in June and hopefully Warners releasing the remaining 20 episodes soon after, my collection of favorite childhood animated grail shows is nearing completion.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This is WEIRD!!! My DVD/VCR will play PAL disks, but only Region One! Since I've ordered the 1966 Marvel Superheroes from Amazon UK (That's England for those of you in Rio Linda! :laugh:) I've taken the liberty of ordering a region-free Blu-ray player from "The Big River" so I can play the sets I ordered.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Regarding WHV vs WA cover art...

I'm guessing it's all in the marketing. Like someone mentioned earlier, the "uneducated shopper" sees the cover on the shelf & buys it because it looks "new" or "modern."

And that's the difference; WHV titles are sold in stores, where those impulse buys happen. Online-only WA releases likely carry more weight toward being marketed to collectors, with no need for the misleading cover art.

That some folks say they wouldn't have bought it because it doesn't look like the classic Filmation program shows that this marketing ploy (unfortunately) works.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned before this is definitely the worst cover art ever for a Warner animated release. The false advertising by creating new artwork that is not from this show to try and sell the show to younger viewers is a bad idea. It would be the same as if they released the Original episodes of Scooby Doo Where are you and slapped on the artwork from What's New Scooby Doo or one of the other modern Scooby Doo shows.
The whole strategy is backfiring on them too. They advertised the release on Facebook and its full of over a hundred posts from younger people (the target of the false artwork) making fun of it with comments like: Why does Tarzan look like a young Bruce Lee or a Young Jacky Chan? or Why does Tarzan look so skinny? :lol: and you know what they are right.
Next time warner please use artwork from the actual show that you are trying to sell. I will be happy to have the show on DVD but will always cringe at the artwork and would be ashamed to display this. It will always be placed in the back of my cabinet.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It usually helps to use a picture from the show that you are releasing. This looks nothing like the Filmation Tarzan. It looks like a newer Tarzan cartoon from the 90's or later. I agree if I saw this on the shelf I would never pick it up because I would assume this is a newer Tarzan cartoon and not the Filmation Tarzan. WHV is always clueless about how to release their classic animation. Look at their Scooby Doo releases. They just keep repackaging stuff to keep using new modern looking covers. Which is their selling point to get kids to ask their parents for it while shopping at Target or Walmart. This Tarzan cover looks modern for the same reasons. WHV does not know who their real market is for classic animation which is the fans who grew up with the shows. Warner Archive gets it.

It seems like Warner's animation division did this on purpose, to try to trick parents and younger consumers (ones who weren't around at the time) to buy it, not to try to capture those who are nostalgic for the '70s show.

Just like the fly-by-night companies in the VHS days, who would put deceptive art on the VHS art for a public domain film of a property that's had a more recent/popular release.

I have no proof, but that's what it looks like to me.

EDIT: I didn't see Jay's message when I was composing this, obviously, as he pretty much said the same thing...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It seems like Warner's animation division did this on purpose, to try to trick parents and younger consumers (ones who weren't around at the time) to buy it, not to try to capture those who are nostalgic for the '70s show.

Just like the fly-by-night companies in the VHS days, who would put deceptive art on the VHS art for a public domain film of a property that's had a more recent/popular release.

I have no proof, but that's what it looks like to me.

EDIT: I didn't see Jay's message when I was composing this, obviously, as he pretty much said the same thing...

That is the best answer for what they did but apparently the strategy back fired based on all the negative comments and laughter they received from potential younger buyers. So for us older viewers who are the fans and main buyers of the show we are stuck with a cover that doesn't match the show and imho is disrespectful to the original show by saying the original artwork is not good enough for a cover.
That's why I wish Warner Archive would have released this instead of WHV as they would have treated the show with respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks