Tarzan & Jane dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by derek, Jul 24, 2002.

1. derek

derek Second Unit

Has anyone picked this up yet? Wal-Mart has it for $16 and our family being big fans of the orignal may be interested. DVDfile has a review up but was wondering what kids/parents thought? Hopefully not another 'Return of Jafar' [​IMG]

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

It comes from the TV-animation department of Disney, not the film-animation folks. It essentially is three (upcoming?) episodes from "The Legend of Tarzan" TV series framed by a weak story in which the self-contained episodes are used as flashbacks. To call it an "all-new movie!" is being generous. But my girls liked it fine and enjoyed toying with the two interactive features on the DVD, building a tree house and choosing the plot developments of a story.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It's another Disney straight-to-video dribble. Avoid it! The only straight to video movie from that studio I really liked was Lion King 2. This one is better than Pocahontas 2, Cinderella 2, and Hunchback 2 but it is on par with Little Mermaid 2 which I also found mediocre.

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I haven't seen any of the other Disney direct-to-video sequels, and if Tarzan and Jane is representative, I don't care to see them. I was fairly bored with it. Here's a link to my Tarzan and Jane review.

5. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

6. Robert Cook

Robert Cook Stunt Coordinator

Anthony Liz wrote:
    That's true, and a lot of people are mistaking Tarzan & Jane for Tarzan 2. Unfortunately, Tarzan 2 is probably going to be a real Disney direct-to-video sequel, so it's very unlikely to be worth 70 minutes or so of your life...not that I'm prejudiced, or anything. :wink: I've heard that it will be about Tarzan's youth, instead of an actual sequel.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What I find amazing is that Disney releases Snow Dogs & Max Keeble in Pan & Scam, because they are "family" films. Yet, Tarzan & Jane a made for tv "compilation" is widescreen!?! Who is making the decisions at Disney Dr.Jekyl & Mr.Hyde?

8. Robert Cook

todd s wrote:
    I don't think there's a single individual who makes all of the decisions of this nature. Marketing executives undoubtedly have the final say, based on what they think will sell better, although there are also technical and budgetary considerations which affect some of these decisions, such as whether to include both OAR and MAR versions of a movie on the DVD. The folks who actually produce the DVDs, right up to the top, probably have the same sensibilities as most of us, but their input only carries so much weight, and the final decisions are generally not theirs.

9. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Regarding aspect ratios on Disney's direct-to-video product, they made Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (non-anamorphic) 1.78:1 widescreen. The thing is they just took the animation frame and put black bars on top and bottom. The framing was certainly screwed up, particularly when small characters were cut off on the bottom of the frame. But, hey it's widescreen. [​IMG]

10. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

The animation in this is awful!! I find it far below that of Little Mermaid 2 and Cinderella 2. At points, it looked like the animators were trying to copy the exact animation used in the Tarzan movie, and doing a poor job of it too. All through watching it, I kept wondering who at Disney authorized the release of this thing, because whoever did, surely didn’t sit down and watch it!

Of course none of this matters to my 6 year old, she just cares about how entertaining the stories are. I think she seemed to be a little bored with it. We had to shut it off before the end because it was time for bed, and she didn’t put up a fight, which was unusual. The real test will be how often she re-watches it – and she hasn’t asked to watch it again yet (although it's only been two days).

11. Anthony Liz

12. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

For not having seen Tarzan and Jane, Robert Cook is incredibly accurate regarding the quality of it. We watched it last night, and while it was not bad, it was just OK. I think our family had a pretty lukewarm reaction to it. I like the TV show that it's based on, I guess we just expect more from a movie. This felt like watching TV as opposed to watching a movie. We just rented it and our kids didn't have much reaction to it, so I don't think we'll be buying this one. For reference, we really like the Tarzan movie and it's one of our favorite animated Disney films.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Soem DVD's I have purchased for my kids have been viewed multiple times (parents, you know what I mean) but this was a one time viewing, along with Hunchback 2 which I sold.

14. Anthony Liz

I agree with you about Hunchback 2. Watched it once and that was it. As far as T&J goes, I think Disney should of gone with a season set or at least no short story, and more episodes.

15. Robert Cook

LukeB wrote:
    I agree, and on a more general note, this would set the appropriate expectations, as well. Expectations can have such a profound effect on perception, even if most people aren't always consciously aware of this. I figure that when we see lists and discussions of movies that are underrated or underappreciated, much of what happened to the movies which are mentioned probably had something to do with expectations. I'm not necessarily referring to the level of overall "quality," but any and all aspects of filmmaking, including style.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

17. Robert Cook

Colin Jacobson wrote:
    Yes, that's an interesting observation. I guess that none of the actors had wanted to commit to a TV series, which is not too surprising. If there had not been a series, then Disney probably could have gotten most of them to do a sequel. Not that this is a bad thing, from my point of view--I wish that they had not been able to get any of the original voices for The Enchanted Christmas, in order to further distance it from Beauty and the Beast, but oh well. What I mean is that it's bad enough to have poorly done sequels associated with movies I like, and it's even worse when the original voices are used, because it makes the association seem stronger.

18. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

19. Anthony Liz

I'm not a fan of this release for various reasons. One, I'm a fan of the cartoon and the episodes selected would of not been my first choice. Second, I hate the DTV term being used to describe this release, not only here, but even in Disney's promotions. The only thing that makes this a DTV release is the short story. As I mentioned above, the rest of the film is past episodes from the cartoon...
    1. Tarzan and the British Invasion
    2. Tarzan and the Volcanic Diamond Mine
    3. Tarzan and the Flying Ace
    The funny thing is that in a few years, assuming no more episodes are released, we will posting in "What Cartoons do you want the most on DVD," instead of complaining about the animation of a Cartoon Show. All I know is that I won't be buying any Tarzan DVDs until I see "The Legend of Tarzan" on the cover.
    The last reason I'm not happy with this release is because Disney made a bigger deal about T & J and totally forgot about The Great Mouse Detective. No ads, no commercial, not even a link or page in their own website! ::Sigh::

20. Robert Cook

Anthony Liz wrote:
    Yep, that's what I meant about expectations. The TV series, in and of itself, is pretty likable--I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I can see why some people are; some of the added characters, like Dumont and Queen La, are pretty interesting, as well. The series should not be compared to the movie directly because it's not a movie, and was never intended to serve the same purpose, beyond entertaining audiences. It's not just about which has "higher quality" in certain respects--they're too different to compare. One is meant to grip your attention on a huge screen in a dark theater for about an hour-and-a-half, while the other is meant to be watched more casually in your home, 22 minutes (minus commercials) at a time, with its character development spread over dozens of episodes, spanning many hours over a TV season.
    They're just not the same thing, and in a TV series, the expectations for animation quality would be lower, so it wouldn't seem so bad. I mean, nobody expects The Simpsons to match Tarzan (one of the most expensive movies ever, of any kind) in animation quality, but it's still an excellent show for other reasons. That's the problem with Tarzan & Jane--basically, instead of getting another awful Disney direct-to-video movie, we're getting a decent TV show turned into an embarrassing makeshift movie. I don't think we're attacking the series, but rather how Disney went about making what is being considered a direct-to-video sequel.