What's new

TARZAN Gordon Scott & Mike Henry (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Andre Dursin

My copy is anamorphic as well, but I've seen the disc display slightly windowboxed on one monitor (when I have it in my TV's "Size2" HD crop setting; if I go to "Size1" it fills it out), and displayed entirely left to right on the other. Either way it's not a defective disc, but the way it was transferred, it's entirely possible some people are going to see a bit -- and I stress a BIT -- of black on the sides depending on their monitor's overscan settings.

Either way, there's a big difference between the disc being defective and non-anamorphic, which is what the poster was asking about, with a 16:9 disc that ends up being windowboxed just a tiny bit on certain monitors depending on their overscan. If it's the latter, he's likely going to experience the exact same thing with another copy of the disc. I've seen this DVD play both windowboxed and not, depending on the monitor I'm looking at.
Agreed, it is not defective and you are right about overscaning.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Can anyone comment on the quality of TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD? I may finally surrender and order my first WB Archive title during the DD sale. I was just wondering how good the quality is and whether or not it includes the trailer. Thanks for any information you can provide.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Point-Blank
Can anyone comment on the quality of TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD? I may finally surrender and order my first WB Archive title during the DD sale. I was just wondering how good the quality is and whether or not it includes the trailer. Thanks for any information you can provide.
It is not a bad transfer, in fact the best of the last group of Tarzan films. It is anamorphic as all of the Warner Archive title are. The color is the a little muted, but that is more due to the use of Eastmancolor than the transfer. The sound has a little flutter, but not anything that is distracting. Just sounds like going through a 35mm projector in the 60's.

There is a trailer attached, but is not anamorphic.

One fun item, it starts out with the original AIP logo. Always fun to see that.

Enjoy it and purchase without fear.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by ahollis

It is not a bad transfer, in fact the best of the last group of Tarzan films. It is anamorphic as all of the Warner Archive title are. The color is the a little muted, but that is more due to the use of Eastmancolor than the transfer. The sound has a little flutter, but not anything that is distracting. Just sounds like going through a 35mm projector in the 60's.

There is a trailer attached, but is not anamorphic.

One fun item, it starts out with the original AIP logo. Always fun to see that.

Enjoy it and purchase without fear.
I wonder if they used the same transfer aired on AMC many years ago. They aired several of the later films widescreen.

Remember when AMC ran good old movies,without commercials? :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've just begun to start getting some of these, mainly due to nostalgic reasons, having seen all the Gordon Scott Tarzan films on first theatrical release when I was a youngster. I've got TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT which looks fine, with TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE on the way. However, I'm a bit puzzled by the aspect ratio of LOST SAFARI. This was filmed in RKO Scope so should be 2.35:1 but I understand from posts above that the Archive title is 1.85:1? My memory may be hazy after so many years but I do remember thinking that the screen was a lot wider than normal at my local cinema. Does the disc appear cropped?

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Point-Blank
Some screengrabs (compressed JPG's):

f3afcc4d_Tarzan and the valley of gold 01.jpg

2139ca92_Tarzan and the valley of gold 02.jpg

JeffT.

Deceased Member
tarzan01.jpg
This discussion thread has long been inactive for almost 2 years now! It's high time to revive this old chestnut.Note in the earlier message postings in this TARZAN on DVD discussion thread my initial enthusiasm over the prospect of the Gordon Scott-Lex Barker-Jock Mahoney-Mike Henry TARZAN films all being made available at long last. Unfortunately my dreams would be completely shattered with the unforeseen movement toward MOD (Manufactured on Demand) DVD-Rs.The long anticipated Warner Brothers Archive Series THE TARZAN COLLECTION STARRING JOCK MAHONEY AND MIKE HENRY 5-disc set was recently released on February 19th, 2013.Wrapping the classic TARZAN film series with:TARZAN GOES TO INDIA (1962)TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963)TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966)TARZAN AND THE GREAT RIVER (1967)TARZAN AND THE JUNGLE BOY (1968)The big question is whether the initial batch are standard DVDs making it possibly worth getting.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebK28BMj60I love the part where that dastardly Mexican sniper gets clobbered by the gigantic rolling display Coca-Cola bottle in the colosseum!Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks