What's new

Target's lack of widescreen DVD's (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Hi folks,

I go to Target stores quite a bit... I guess of that type of chain store, I prefer their "atmosphere" a little better, and they are pretty close to my house as well.

One thing that really ticks me off about them, however, is that... After the initial release of a DVD, if there is a choice between "full-screen" and widescreen versions of the film, Target ONLY carries the "full-screen" version. They have lost a lot of sales from me because of this, especially when they have their $10 and $7.50 sales on select titles. I want to own the movie, not the hacked-up version they call "full-screen".

Can anything be done about this? Can we as a group send someone at Target corporate a bunch of e-mails regarding this? Or is it a lost cause?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They have the same problem at their stores over here. I go there often to pick up cat food, and have gotten an "invitation" on my receipts a few times to take their online survey. They always have an open-end section asking "Was there anything you were looking for that you coudln't find, or that you'd like us to carry?" so I've complained about the Foolscreen problem a number of times and just yesterday entered one saying "I don't know why you bother having these surveys when I've complained about this repeatedly yet nothing has been done to solve the problem!" I also said that I was deeply offended that they carried only the EDITED versions of Requiem For A Dream and The Dreamers, yet carry "unrated" versions of other titles.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Before they opened in this area, I was looking forward to Target, but now that it's been here awhile, I'm pretty disappointed, not only in the DVDs, but in stuff like men's clothing. Unless you happened to be an 18 year-old with a 30" waist forget it. I guess they think that those of us who are a little more mature with our tastes and a somewhat fuller around the middle must sit around nude watching P&S movies.

Mike Selis

Grip
Most all of the dvds which they carry after initial release always are P&S, which is sad, and it stopped me from buying movies there.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

That is just not true. Look at the selection of $9.44 and $13.78 catalog titles at the store. There are MANY WS versions available.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It may not be entirely true, but it is mostly true. I just recently had rented Catch Me if You Can as an example, and went looking for it. At Target - p&s only.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
I work part time as Target Security after I leave my real job.

Every time we get a new movie out on the market, we get X number of WS copies and Y number of full screen copies. They get put out at the same time in the same area.

As for the clothing...we have every size at our store from a 28" waist to a 52" waist...in all clothes. Each individual store gets a truck of merchandise every evening. They do not know what is on the truck or how much. Sounds like someone up the chain of command is getting things screwed up if you really have NO WS movies and someone else only has tiny clothes.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

This is true for new releases, but not for other DVD titles. Find me a widescreen copy of The Terminal at Target. Or a widescreen copy of Wimbleton (sp?). I bet you can't. Because, after the initial release, if Target has the choice of carrying the widescreen version or the butchered version, they always seem to carry the butchered version.

Mike Selis

Grip
My point that I was trying to make is that after the initial shipment of both WS and P&S, additional shipments seem to be only P&S. This is sad because not only do they sometimes have good prices on movies in the weekly ad, none of which can be bought in WS, but because one must rush to the store before all of the WS copies sellout for new releases.

Users who are viewing this thread