What's new

Target sues Sony over BR patents. (1 Viewer)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Target is claiming Sony violated patents they hold regarding reflective layers in optical discs. Target's seeking damages and an injunction to cease patent violation.

Who'd have thought Target of all places would be putting a big wrinkle in the format war? If they get their injunction, and I doubt highly they would, can you imagine the impact to PS3 and BR?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171498.html

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

The injunction was filed by Target Technology Company LLC which is not the same company that owns the retail store.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I think so as well, because for it to go somewhere, assuming they grant the injunction, it'd literally tank the PS3.

Every single PS3 game would immediately go on "Hold" until the thing was over with in 1-2 years. Both BR and PS3 would be completely tanked. I *really* can't see them completely killing them both unless we're talking wholesale coorporate espionage.

Sony would be forced to immediately negotiate a probably viscious licenscing agreement just to avoid complete disaster. If the other team would even play ball.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There's no way to make this stick. BD-Rs were on the market before the patent was granted in April 2006 ; the patent could be thrown out on the basis of insufficient priority.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just sounds like blackmail to me. They are probably hoping SONY will blink and throw them a bucket of money in order to avoid the possibility, however remote, of a damaging legal battle.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It wouldn't be the first time that a product out on the market was stopped by a patent suit after the fact. But I think it pretty unlikely. If anything this will most likely just lead to a pay off by Sony and a license agreement.

Doug

troy evans

Screenwriter
Not so Fast! Let Us not forget what happened when Sony was involved with that Dual-Shock suit as I recall They had to pay up and pay up big!Is this even the same thing though?Honestly,not likely.Even if it were,Sony has to much at stake now.Even if this forced There hand I can still see them running till the very end No Matter What the Cost to Them as a company.A fact They have proven several times over.Until more on this developes I'm not even sure this is that big a deal if at all.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

I don't think so. Manufacturing would go on as before, and the legal dispute would be settled in court without consumers even realizing what is happening behind their backs. It makes sense to keep on producing merchandise that will bring in revenue, which can then be used to pay the legal costs.

Qualcomm and Nokia are currently involved in a high-profile patent dispute over 3G mobile phone technology. As far as I understand, a contract between the parties has lapsed and both sides are claiming the other is violating their rights. It has not stopped manufacturing, and mobile phones are not going to vanish from store shelves as a result of the dispute.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am certainly not a Lawyer, but if this claim has merit, Sony is in for some rough times. On the other hand, if the claim has no merit, Sony is still in for some problems, as it will cot them money, and cause negative press for Sony and BD. There is no getting around it.

And enough bad press, true or not doesn't matter, will have a negative effect.

But since we have absolutely no confirmed information as to the possible merits of the case, we can only conjecture. Best to take a step back and let it sort itself out.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Actually, I was looking at the "Injunction" part. I'm not a Lawyer, but doesn't that mean that the government orders them to stop selling BR's until they reach a decision?

Even more interesting, wouldn't that apply only to Sony while other companies with BR products could continue to sell, especially if Target does a Rambus and negotiates licenscing with them?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well if, and it's a big if, there is an injunction against Sony, I believe it would mean that they wouldn't have the right to assign licenses to 3rd party companies. Also 3rd party companies would likely stop manufacturing the discs for fear of being sued themselves. Again a very big if.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks